What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

A pizza base is just bread. Why not? In the summer at the beach in Italy, we have a place that makes pizza bianca (white pizza--plain pizza crust with salt and olive oil) and in the afternoon they spread Nutella on it and cut it into rectangles. There is a long line starting at 4 until 7 in the evening to pick it up.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    It's the peanut butter with tomato sauce and cheese that swicks me out, so without those elements it would be hypothetically fine, but not interesting to me. Hmm. Thai pizza with a peanut sauce and peanuts is a thing (my parents used to love it and I've tasted it and it was fine), and that has cheese, and I've made a stew inspired by an African peanut stew with peanut butter and tomatoes, so I could be being close-minded here.

I like peanut butter but hate peanut butter sandwiches, so this also could be my own weird food things getting in the way.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yuck I could not do peanut butter with tomato sauce. I’m not a fan of peanut butter in savory dishes.

Panera is overrated and over priced.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Yuck I could not do peanut butter with tomato sauce. I’m not a fan of peanut butter in savory dishes.

I too could imagine not liking pb on a traditional tomato sauced pizza. However I love other savory recipes using pb - like the dipping sauce you have with Thai salad rolls/African pb stew/Satays/Thai inspired pizzas (yes...pizza - but it sauced with a ginger/pb/tamari sauce...) Veggie pad Thai (yum!)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I too could imagine not liking pb on a traditional tomato sauced pizza. However I love other savory recipes using pb - like the dipping sauce you have with Thai salad rolls/African pb stew/Satays/Thai inspired pizzas (yes...pizza - but it sauced with a ginger/pb/tamari sauce...) Veggie pad Thai (yum!)

Yes, agree.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    FWIW, the local PB&J one has cheese (I think just mozzarella, though not sure), but not tomato sauce.
    s568672752928127835_p12_i2_w1920.jpeg
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, the local PB&J one has cheese (I think just mozzarella, though not sure), but not tomato sauce.

That looks awesome. A favorite childhood breakfast of mine was my dad's concoction of peanut butter and blue cheese on an English muffin.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That looks awesome. A favorite childhood breakfast of mine was my dad's concoction of peanut butter and blue cheese on an English muffin.

that acrually sounds like a brilliant combo ... perhaps with a drizzle of honey??
  • pancakerunner
    Options

PREACH
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I hate Ghirardelli
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    I hate Ghirardelli

I don't HATE their products, but there are definately better chocolates
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but they've been in business for a long time so I guess people like it...

Boston Pizza is too expensive for the poor food quality they offer. Anyone who says "no such thing as bad pizza" must never had their pizza.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but they've been in business for a long time so I guess people like it...

Boston Pizza is too expensive for the poor food quality they offer. Anyone who says "no such thing as bad pizza" must never had their pizza.

I've only had their food once in Toronto a while back
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Never had Boston Pizza, but there are plenty of mediocre pizza chains where the pizza is not worth the cals, IMO.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Never had Boston Pizza, but there are plenty of mediocre pizza chains where the pizza is not worth the cals, IMO.

On that note, I actually LIKE papa john's even though it is usually ranked one of the worst
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Boston Pizza is the worst. Papa John’s is only ok. I had it for the first time the other night. I wouldn’t get it again. Our local place is better. Homemade is best.
  • douglaslaw1
    douglaslaw1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a phase as a teen where, after loving chocolate for years, the thought of it made me deathly nauseous. Happily - or tragically - I got over that.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

On that note, I actually LIKE papa john's even though it is usually ranked one of the worst

Never had that either, although I've never heard anything good about it (I tend to dislike most chain pizzas, so probably wouldn't be a fan -- I think we might be inclined to like what we had as kids, as I would like to try Round Table again, which I haven't had for 30 years).
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Boston Pizza is the worst. Papa John’s is only ok. I had it for the first time the other night. I wouldn’t get it again. Our local place is better. Homemade is best.

I've made it at home, but IMO most good local Italian places that do pizza can do it better than I can at home, and I'm a pretty good cook, since they have the right ovens, etc. I quite like the pizza at a couple of local places, Coda di Volpe (near where I used to live) and Nella Pizza e Pasta (near a theater we used to go to a lot, pre covid) are a couple that come to mind that I've gone to a bunch.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options

I've made it at home, but IMO most good local Italian places that do pizza can do it better than I can at home, and I'm a pretty good cook, since they have the right ovens, etc. I quite like the pizza at a couple of local places, Coda di Volpe (near where I used to live) and Nella Pizza e Pasta (near a theater we used to go to a lot, pre covid) are a couple that come to mind that I've gone to a bunch.

There's a very nice pizza place practically around the corner from our house; when we moved in, we had lots of their offerings, and the food is good. Their pizza is definitely better than any I could make; and we buy from them more than usual now, to help keep them going.