What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I don't like hummus.

I don’t like tahini, which is a main ingredient in hummus. But I’ve found a few kinds of hummus without it (Lilly’s roasted red pepper) that I like.

Yup...an 'unpopular' opinion with me anyways😉....I absolutely love tahini! lol

And with regard to 'oat milk'...I haven't ever bought the stuff...it's just so easy to make your own (using sourced products). It would be like buying typically expensive bagged ice to bring home even though you have a ton of it ready to go in your freezer in ice cube trays.
  • Butterpecan083
    Butterpecan083 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I don't like hummus.

I don’t like tahini, which is a main ingredient in hummus. But I’ve found a few kinds of hummus without it (Lilly’s roasted red pepper) that I like.

Yup...an 'unpopular' opinion with me anyways😉....I absolutely love tahini! lol

And with regard to 'oat milk'...I haven't ever bought the stuff...it's just so easy to make your own (using sourced products). It would be like buying four times the amount for ice to bring home even though you have a ton of it ready to go in your freezer in ice cube trays.

I love tahini too, In sauces, Salad dressing, on bread mmmm! I like it better than most nut butters
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I also love tahini, but can take or leave hummus. It's okay, but I prefer baba ghanoush so rarely have it. (I also don't snack so only have dips so often unless they fit well in my overall meal.)
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I don't get dishes where you fry something crispy and then drown it in sauce. Goes for jagerschnitzel, parmesan chicken, poutine, etc...

If you want sauce, why not have it on the side for dipping?
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    I don't get dishes where you fry something crispy and then drown it in sauce. Goes for jagerschnitzel, parmesan chicken, poutine, etc...

I think, for the most part, things covered in sauce (especially sugary sauces) are a waste of calories. I.e. most chinese dishes, buffalo wings, etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

I think, for the most part, things covered in sauce (especially sugary sauces) are a waste of calories. I.e. most chinese dishes, buffalo wings, etc.

Most Chinese dishes aren't, in fact, covered in sugary sauces(I have a bunch of "traveling through China" type cookbooks that say otherwise and can point to Chinese restaurants that have lots of non sugary options, I think only bad fast food type or westernized type Chinese is all sugary sauces), and much buffalo sauce isn't actually sugary (Franks Red Hot Buffalo, which I think of as the classic US buffalo sauce, has little sugar, for example).

I don't get why poutine is appealing, though. Gravy on fries seems to ruin them to me.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Most Chinese dishes aren't, in fact, covered in sugary sauces(I have a bunch of "traveling through China" type cookbooks that say otherwise and can point to Chinese restaurants that have lots of non sugary options, I think only bad fast food type or westernized type Chinese is all sugary sauces), and much buffalo sauce isn't actually sugary (Franks Red Hot Buffalo, which I think of as the classic US buffalo sauce, has little sugar, for example).

I don't get why poutine is appealing, though. Gravy on fries seems to ruin them to me.

I guess i am referring to things like sesame chicken, orange chicken, cashew chicken, etc. with the syrupy sauces like duck and kung pao... and chicken like honey bbq, terryaki, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options

This thread often seems to be a hotbed of overgeneralizations (or maybe just assumptions/ignorance about certain categories) mixed in amongst picayune distinctions between similar foods such that one is super-yucky and the other desirable.

This is a total aside, but one of the lessons of age for me is that the fewer preferences and expectations I have, the more capability I have to enjoy whatever happens to come along. (That doesn't mean I have NO preferences, either; but it's not a focus, because for me focusing there increases discontent.) Others' mileage clearly varies.

/curmudgeon (again).

I don't have an opinion about poutine; I've never had it. In general, most vegetarian gravies aren't worth their calories to me, in something like that. Meat gravies are a more satisfying food in more contexts, as I remember them.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

This thread often seems to be a hotbed of overgeneralizations (or maybe just assumptions/ignorance about certain categories) mixed in amongst picayune distinctions between similar foods such that one is super-yucky and the other desirable.

This is a total aside, but one of the lessons of age for me is that the fewer preferences and expectations I have, the more capability I have to enjoy whatever happens to come along. (That doesn't mean I have NO preferences, either; but it's not a focus, because for me focusing there increases discontent.) Others' mileage clearly varies.

/curmudgeon (again).

I don't have an opinion about poutine; I've never had it. In general, most vegetarian gravies aren't worth their calories to me, in something like that. Meat gravies are a more satisfying food in more contexts, as I remember them.

That's why these opinions are unpopular. :p
    I'm actually disappointed if I post something in this thread and no one disagrees with me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I think some of the over-generalizations are really regional understandings. There are for sure areas in the US where most of the dishes in the Chinese takeaway joints are all fried chicken or pork covered in sugary sauces. And the dishes that aren't are included in a little healthy choices sidebar on the menu and are glaringly plain and spare. I've lived in those places, as well as in places where the Chinese takeaways and buffets are full of a wide variety of both legit and "Americanized" dishes.

Considering this thread is for unpopular opinions and hot takes, as long as they are being offered as opinions, I'm happy to hear all of them :smile:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

/curmudgeon (again).

That's why these opinions are unpopular. :p
    I'm actually disappointed if I post something in this thread and no one disagrees with me.

Feel better? :wink:
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I think this is unpopular...
    It grosses me out to dunk anything into a beverage. Doughnuts in coffee, cookies in milk, etc...even the thought of it turns my stomach. I don't like soggy things...I don't even put milk on my cereal because it makes it soggy. Why is a wet cookie appealing? Bleh.

I never understood it either! Growing up, we didn't even put milk in our cereal; although now I'll put it in certain varieties that I know will stay crunchy in the milk (Frosted Flakes and Raisin Bran Crunch come to mind). But doughnuts or biscotti and the like? Eeew! Maybe I just don't like dunking sweet things? Breadsticks or fries in a sauce is absolutely delicious.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I think this is unpopular...
    It grosses me out to dunk anything into a beverage. Doughnuts in coffee, cookies in milk, etc...even the thought of it turns my stomach. I don't like soggy things...I don't even put milk on my cereal because it makes it soggy. Why is a wet cookie appealing? Bleh.

I never understood it either! Growing up, we didn't even put milk in our cereal; although now I'll put it in certain varieties that I know will stay crunchy in the milk (Frosted Flakes and Raisin Bran Crunch come to mind). But doughnuts or biscotti and the like? Eeew! Maybe I just don't like dunking sweet things? Breadsticks or fries in a sauce is absolutely delicious.

For fun, here is an expert on the art of dunking: Clark Gable, in "It Happened One Night", schooling Claudette Colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bMooFibAM.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    Tahini is awesome! Love it!

I much prefer fresh ground nothing added nut butters over store bought, flavored or ones with protein powder added.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    senalay788 wrote: »

This.
    What we in NA see as "chinese" food, has nothing to do with proper chinese food.

Agreed.
  • Butterpecan083
    Butterpecan083 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I love raisins, I didn't realize that was such an unpopular opinion but apparently a lot of people hate them.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    I love raisins, I didn't realize that was such an unpopular opinion but apparently a lot of people hate them.

Me too! I especially love golden raisins added to savory dishes
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    While I don't eat them much anymore, I like frozen dinners. I pretty much lived off frozen dinners and fast food when I was on weight watchers and had no problem losing weight. (We won't go into how I might have been undereating.) The frozen dinners were portion controlled, fast and easy to make, gave me a chance to not have to give up my foods I will always have trouble moderating (like pasta), and, yes, sustainable. I gave up the frequency of when I ate them willingly. 😀

I used to like lean cuisine, but then as I started eating differently and more volume foods I realized how pathetic the servings were haha