What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    While I don't eat them much anymore, I like frozen dinners. I pretty much lived off frozen dinners and fast food when I was on weight watchers and had no problem losing weight. (We won't go into how I might have been undereating.) The frozen dinners were portion controlled, fast and easy to make, gave me a chance to not have to give up my foods I will always have trouble moderating (like pasta), and, yes, sustainable. I gave up the frequency of when I ate them willingly. 😀

I used to like lean cuisine, but then as I started eating differently and more volume foods I realized how pathetic the servings were haha

Same, I used to like lean cuisine. These two.
    eubeot9asrxj.png
    y70yurb3h8er.png

Until I realized I could make my own volume meals for the same calories but 2x or 3x the volume, lol.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    While I don't eat them much anymore, I like frozen dinners. I pretty much lived off frozen dinners and fast food when I was on weight watchers and had no problem losing weight. (We won't go into how I might have been undereating.) The frozen dinners were portion controlled, fast and easy to make, gave me a chance to not have to give up my foods I will always have trouble moderating (like pasta), and, yes, sustainable. I gave up the frequency of when I ate them willingly. 😀

I used to like lean cuisine, but then as I started eating differently and more volume foods I realized how pathetic the servings were haha

Same, I used to like lean cuisine. These two.
    eubeot9asrxj.png
    y70yurb3h8er.png

Until I realized I could make my own volume meals for the same calories but 2x or 3x the volume, lol.

tryong to remember which I liked
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    jj7655uoo1ab.png
    lnrpqzg4s2y1.png
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited January 2021
    Options
    jj7655uoo1ab.png
    lnrpqzg4s2y1.png

I also loved these two that came with the mini "desserts". w9y4n28iwhqn.pngz4gj2ylwq3xc.png

03kgdr8cm72e.png
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    jj7655uoo1ab.png
    lnrpqzg4s2y1.png

I also loved these two that came with the mini "desserts". w9y4n28iwhqn.pngz4gj2ylwq3xc.png

03kgdr8cm72e.png

Smart ones also had some that I liked lol
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    gpcgx6acycvq.png
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I like the Lean Cuisine Swedish Meatballs and Noodles. If you’re not hungry, it’s fine, add a boatload of broccoli and carrots for a VERY filling meal for few calories.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    I like the Lean Cuisine Swedish Meatballs and Noodles. If you’re not hungry, it’s fine, add a boatload of broccoli and carrots for a VERY filling meal for few calories.

swedish meatballs are so underrated!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I like that one too! Also the alfredo pasta with chicken and broccoli. I always have a couple in the freezer for those days I get hungry and don't feel like putting something together. Usually add extra frozen veggies too.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Maraschino cherries are disgusting and taste like medicine. (Lol, all the talk in the other thread about people loving them made me think of this :D )

I LOVE canned cherry pie filling though.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Maraschino cherries are disgusting and taste like medicine. (Lol, all the talk in the other thread about people loving them made me think of this :D )

I like quite a few things that "taste like medicine": Green Chartreuse (an herbal liqueur, for those who may not be familiar), some kinds of bitter foods (bitter melon, IPA, cocktails that have a higher amount of bitters), among others. I even like some cough syrups' flavors, and menthol-eucalyptus cough drops.

I don't eat maraschino cherries out of the jar anymore (only eat them if they come on an ice cream sundae or something), but I do like marzipan, which tastes somewhat similar. It's not rational, I admit, but I find the cherries' color and odd translucency off-putting.

I used to like canned cherry pie filling, but now find it very much too sweet, and most brands have too much cornstarch-goo, not enough cherries. I'd rather make my own thickened cherries, if I wanted to use it in something, because it's ridiculously easy anyway; and I'd probably add some other slight flavor notes besides the cherries and sugar (exactly what would depend on the intended use, but some options are a bit of citrus peel, a flavorful liquor like brandy or rum, liqueur of some type like Amaretto or Cointreau, chopped toasted almonds, warm-flavored spices, . . . .).

I agree! Love the items you suggested in making your own. Sounds yum to me...Maraschino cherries so remind me of my childhood (sundaes/Shirley Temples and the inevitable fruit cake we'd always have during the holidays). Loved them then, probably not now though. I think I'd really like a quality maraschino cherry though.

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options

I like them in classic cocktails. Old fashioneds, Manhattans, whiskey sours....mmmm....cocktails.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

I like them in classic cocktails. Old fashioneds, Manhattans, whiskey sours....mmmm....cocktails.

I don't 'get' cocktails - most are too sweet or syrupy for me... I will have about 1 margarita a year for a cocktail - otherwise I like my poison neat - scotch/whiskey/bourbon on the rocks or simply straight-up.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

I don't 'get' cocktails - most are too sweet or syrupy for me... I will have about 1 margarita a year for a cocktail - otherwise I like my poison neat - scotch/whiskey/bourbon on the rocks or simply straight-up.

I don't like mine syrupy-sweet either...I prefer more sour/citrus in my cocktails. When I make them at home I leave out or greatly reduce any added sugar. I need SOMETHING added to my booze, though, even if it's just some fresh lime squeezed into my gin.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I like to have them on hand for those days I just can't get the energy to actually cook (happens with chronic pain and fatigue). If I am really hungry then I just bulk them up with extra veggies. Still low in calories but a lot more food that way.

The biggest issue I have with frozen meals? SO MANY use soy! And I don't just mean the asian meals. A lot of time if there is meat, there is soy protein because it is a cheap filler. So I don't eat them nearly as often. I remember when I first had to cut soy out of my diet... all I wanted was a "classic" frozen meal. I stood in the aisle at the store crying because I couldn't find anything safe.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options

There are many, many cocktails that are not sweet. They're just not popular now.

It's like so many foods/drinks: The ones that are popular just keep getting sweeter and sweeter, as years go by. New apple varieties tend to be much sweeter than older ones, on average. Muffins used to be more commonly like a sort of bread, maybe a bit sweet, but not mostly dessert-like, on average. Martinis mostly used to be a very non-sweet cocktail, unlike the crazy fruity tricked-up sweet modern versions.**

I like some cocktails, but they're usually liquor(s) plus combinations of bitters or citrus. I do like some that are more tart (such as margaritas, which for me also need to be salty), but many of the current recipes for once-mostly-tart cocktails (perhaps lightly sweetened for balance) are indeed like drinking syrup.

** I'm 65. My adult memory of these things goes back to the 1970s, and some of those things I have clear 1960s memories of, or evidence (like cookbooks) from then or earlier.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

I don't like mine syrupy-sweet either...I prefer more sour/citrus in my cocktails. When I make them at home I leave out or greatly reduce any added sugar. I need SOMETHING added to my booze, though, even if it's just some fresh lime squeezed into my gin.

Rye old fashioned or a bourbon with a couple rocks for me...
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    I just realized that one of the things I miss the most about going to restaurants is trying interesting craft cocktails. Boo.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I just realized that one of the things I miss the most about going to restaurants is trying interesting craft cocktails. Boo.

Yes, I love fun restaurant cocktails. Trying to do it at home is too expensive, especially for me because I'm not a big alcohol drinker.