Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

1190191192193194196»

Replies

• AntiopelleAntiopelle Member Posts: 765 Member Member Posts: 765 Member
    I really like potato mash made from dehydrated flakes mixed with soy milk and chives, top it off with two poached eggs; add s&p and freshly ground nutmeg - et voilà: one of my favorite meals :blush:
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 6,032 Member Member Posts: 6,032 Member
    Kale is absolutely disgusting.

I agree!
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Member Posts: 2,188 Member Member Posts: 2,188 Member
    Kale is absolutely disgusting.

I like it raw, mixed with other greens in a salad. Cooked, not so much.
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Member Posts: 5,156 Member Member Posts: 5,156 Member
    Me, too Suzy. But I can’t even chop it for a salad. I have to buy the bagged salad mix because I want it chopped really, really fine.
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,538 Member Member Posts: 1,538 Member
    I love canned peas
  • GemimaFitzTedGemimaFitzTed Member Posts: 251 Member Member Posts: 251 Member
    I love this thread!

Rice pudding is vile! Any dessert that calls up rice and bread is disgusting - I'm looking at your bread and butter pudding. Spinach and pumpkin are the work of the devil. Wholemeal pasta should be banned. Eggs are overrated.

White rice, white bread, potatoes and pasta from normal, non-wholemeal flour are gifts from God
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 6,032 Member Member Posts: 6,032 Member
    Instant mashed potatoes are actually really good.

right?! I hate when people are like "omg no you have to use ReAl potatoes"
  • ejbronteejbronte Member Posts: 865 Member Member Posts: 865 Member
    Instant mashed potatoes are actually really good.

right?! I hate when people are like "omg no you have to use ReAl potatoes"

We grew up on instant mashed potatoes: our mother worked fulltime, and they were a real time saver for her. While I do like mashed potato made from whole potatoes better, I have no complaint about instant.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,201 Member Member Posts: 7,201 Member
    I never had them until I was an adult and they taste weird to me, but of course it makes sense it's what you are used to. My mom also worked fulltime, but mashed potatoes have always been something of a holiday/for company kind of dish for us. I love them, but make them rarely, even though they don't actually seem very time consuming.
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 9,383 Member Member Posts: 9,383 Member
    Regarding the 'fake' potatoes - I don't think I've ever had them. Perhaps at a crappy little diner during a road trip? How different are they to the real thing?
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Member Posts: 2,188 Member Member Posts: 2,188 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Regarding the 'fake' potatoes - I don't think I've ever had them. Perhaps at a crappy little diner during a road trip? How different are they to the real thing?

They’re not “fake” potatoes. They are made of real potatoes, just dried, not fresh.

I don’t eat them on their own as a side, but I like certain stews and curries spooned over mashed potatoes, and they work very well for that.
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 9,383 Member Member Posts: 9,383 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

They’re not “fake” potatoes. They are made of real potatoes, just dried, not fresh.

I don’t eat them on their own as a side, but I like certain stews and curries spooned over mashed potatoes, and they work very well for that.

Ha! That's why I put the word in quotations😉
    I could see using them as a thickener in stews -
    Curious if they use them at places like Denny's/Perkins, etc., ?
    regarding instant potatoes... these are good too. find them in the deli or refreigerated section
    eta6h08shoph.png
  • kimny72kimny72 Member Posts: 15,809 Member Member Posts: 15,809 Member
    regarding instant potatoes... these are good too. find them in the deli or refreigerated section
    eta6h08shoph.png

When I had a wisdom tooth removed, I lived off of those Bob Evans mashed potatoes (and ice cream lol) and they are pretty good!
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 639 Member Member Posts: 639 Member
    I won’t eat instant mashed potatoes - I think they are gross and mashed potatoes are so quick and simple to make anyway it doesn’t even seem worth it. But I do like those cheesy boxes of dehydrated scalloped potatoes. Grew up eating them and although they are probably gross too to most people they seem like nostalgic comfort food to me.
    edited 1:56AM