What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Also, cornbread should always be baked in cast iron and cut into wedges, as pictured. This ensures everyone gets an equal portion of the crispy sides. Squares (or whatever square shape you can get from a round pan) is not acceptable and may result in table fights :tongue:

cywo98ng77d2.jpg

I love cornbread, but I have never actually tried it made in cast iron. I may be making that this weekend.

Don't forget to preheat the skillet as well as the oven.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    French toast > Waffles > Pancakes.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I don't understand how people like to eat dried seaweed. I found a pack at Grocery Outlet for a decent price a few years ago, & bought one to find out what it tasted like. Basically at least to me it tasted like pulling at grass as a kid & eating some to see what it tasted like.

YES! I was so curious about the "seaweed snax" flavored packs. Bought one to try once and almost gagged. It was disgusting!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    French toast > Waffles > Pancakes.

This reminded me it's been years since I've had french toast so I need to make some today.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Oreos are best as an ingredient rather than a stand alone snack. Crushed and on/in ice cream or pudding is good. if I must eat them as a cookie, dipping in coffee is better than dipped in milk or plain.

Balsamic vinegar is bottled bile.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I don't understand how people like to eat dried seaweed. I found a pack at Grocery Outlet for a decent price a few years ago, & bought one to find out what it tasted like. Basically at least to me it tasted like pulling at grass as a kid & eating some to see what it tasted like.

Agreed! My husband loves it and will at multiple packages at once. I tried one sheet once and I tasted that nastiness all day
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member

YES! I was so curious about the "seaweed snax" flavored packs. Bought one to try once and almost gagged. It was disgusting!

I find the dried Kale & Broccoli just as disgusting! Blech.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Oreos are best as an ingredient rather than a stand alone snack. Crushed and on/in ice cream or pudding is good. if I must eat them as a cookie, dipping in coffee is better than dipped in milk or plain.

The other day I ate the Peppermint Bark Oreos & could understand how some of the people thought the filling of an Oreo tasted/texture of toothpaste. Still love Oreos though :D.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,730 Member

The other day I ate the Peppermint Bark Oreos & could understand how some of the people thought the filling of an Oreo tasted/texture of toothpaste. Still love Oreos though :D.

That makes me think of Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Covered Peppermint Joe Joe’s. those are so good!
    http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/trader_joes_mint_jojos_versus_mint_oreos
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Verdenal wrote: »
    "S'mores" is a misnomer. I don't want any, much less some more.

Homemade marshmallows are nothing but huge clouds of sugar cut into cubes.

Hot cocoa is hot chocolate for losers.

"Milk" is milk from cows, sheep, and goats. Products made from soy, almond, and oats are liquid you put in your coffee. If you need to use them for health reasons, fine, just don't call them "milk."

Wait, you mean that "Hot Chocolate" & "Hot Cocoa" are not just two different names for the same thing?!
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    Baked beans are horrific so is mayo
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018

I love baked beans; all that sugar makes my farts smell sweet... :laugh:

I found this comment inspiring.

I prefer English baked beans. They have a more tomato-y base and are a little less sweet. I can get them at Wegmans.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

"Milk" is milk from cows, sheep, and goats. Products made from soy, almond, and oats are liquid you put in your coffee. If you need to use them for health reasons, fine, just don't call them "milk."

Wait, you mean that "Hot Chocolate" & "Hot Cocoa" are not just two different names for the same thing?!

Yeah, this keeps coming up, but what's the difference?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    mph323 wrote: »

Yeah, this keeps coming up, but what's the difference?

I think it's "made with powder" (cocoa powder/sugar; cocoa mix) vs. "made with block/chunk chocolate" of some kind (chopped, grated, melted).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I see zero point to jam or jelly (or whatever else similar fruit spreads might be called) and never use them.

(I imagine this is an unpopular opinion.)
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member

Cold baked beans on white bread slathered with mayo- sandwich heaven.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Cold baked beans - heaven
    Some editing was needed.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    I agree with the comment on fruit spreads. Even as a kid I didn’t care for them. I don’t typically like to spread anything on my bread in general and can have it dry.