What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I like lemon juice too, but I love vinegar (not on its own, but most other ways).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Kale should be eradicated from the planet

and take quinoa with the kale off the planet

I like both of them and will take all the kale and quinoa no one wants.

Except for one thing. I can't cook quinoa so it comes out light and fluffy to save my soul. There used to be a box mix of flavored quinoa that I had success with, but that's about it.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    I like the sugar crust on the coffee shop muffins as a confection but can do without the rest of it. As far as muffins that are reasonable to eat go, I like the simple Martha White apple cinnamon muffins; the envelope you add a half cup of milk to. Most people try too hard with muffins for my taste (other than the melted sugar crust :smiley: ).

See to me, that's not a muffin. That's... cake or something. A muffin (back when I still could have gluten) was a simple thing I made with butter and buttermilk and flour and a very small amount of sugar and was tasty in its simplicity. It was a vehicle for good jam or jelly. Strawberry or blackberry preferably.

That sounds like a biscuit.

No, there were eggs involved. That made it different than a biscuit.

Like this:

Buttermilk-01.jpg

That is a new thing to me!

That's what a standard home made muffin looks like. Milk or buttermilk, flour, eggs,melted butter or oil, sugar and some other stuff.

See, I make scratch muffins but they are basically quick bread batter baked in muffin pans. I am living such a sheltered life!!!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I like cornbread made in this pan—every wedge has crispy edges:)jn9yyz7efdib.jpeg

My husband and I would love that, and my kids would hate it. They are the goofy ones that like the middle of everything. We try to tell them how wrong they are. Sometimes there is no reasoning with them :p
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    smolmaus wrote: »

-Parsnips taste like dirt. They're carrots with no soul left. Carrot-ghouls that hide in soup pretending to be potato.

This wonderfully descriptive quote has almost made me spit out my yummy yummy starbucks laughing so hard... visions of carrot ghosts 🥕👻😂😂😂

Before you give up completely on parsnips, give them one last try by cooking roasting them low (325F) and slow (90 minutes) . I usually pair them with carrots at the same time.

roll them in some olive oil and sprinkle some fresh rosemary on them before sticking in the oven.
    The thing i like about parsnips is the "snip" - kind of a peppery tang that sits on top of the sweet that the roasting process brings out.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    I used to hate parsnips (roasted with carrots) and then just started liking them. I think when I first ran into them (probably as a kid, but as something we didn't have at home) I thought they should taste like carrots and when they didn't I had a "yuck" reaction. Then for ages I just thought I didn't like them and then decided to make them again and enjoyed.

Agreed about the rosemary. I've done something similar to this, which is delicious: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016559-roasted-carrots-and-parsnips-with-rosemary-and-garlic
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm so sick I can't even remember.... This is the thread where we were discussing the attributes of various biscuits, obviously. Where was the cookie thread? Was it the actual Oreo thread? @nutmegoreo - help! I've lost the soggy cookie exchange thread :disappointed:

That would be the "If it didn't have calories thread". Rough day for you. :heart: I'll send you some unlicked cookies.

I don't know why I couldn't remember that. I'm probably responsible for a quarter of the posts in that thread :lol:

I'm accepting all offers of cookies and sympathy at the moment. :heart:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    amy19355 wrote: »
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    smolmaus wrote: »

-Parsnips taste like dirt. They're carrots with no soul left. Carrot-ghouls that hide in soup pretending to be potato.

This wonderfully descriptive quote has almost made me spit out my yummy yummy starbucks laughing so hard... visions of carrot ghosts 🥕👻😂😂😂

Before you give up completely on parsnips, give them one last try by cooking roasting them low (325F) and slow (90 minutes) . I usually pair them with carrots at the same time.

roll them in some olive oil and sprinkle some fresh rosemary on them before sticking in the oven.
    The thing i like about parsnips is the "snip" - kind of a peppery tang that sits on top of the sweet that the roasting process brings out.

Folklore (and maybe more, dunno) has it that parsnips taste better (more sweetness) if they've been through a freeze in the field. Judging from the local ones, my taste buds, and possibly some contribution from my suggestible imagination, I think that's right.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    They go well with carrot and apple.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    I like the sugar crust on the coffee shop muffins as a confection but can do without the rest of it. As far as muffins that are reasonable to eat go, I like the simple Martha White apple cinnamon muffins; the envelope you add a half cup of milk to. Most people try too hard with muffins for my taste (other than the melted sugar crust :smiley: ).

See to me, that's not a muffin. That's... cake or something. A muffin (back when I still could have gluten) was a simple thing I made with butter and buttermilk and flour and a very small amount of sugar and was tasty in its simplicity. It was a vehicle for good jam or jelly. Strawberry or blackberry preferably.

Like this:

Buttermilk-01.jpg

That's what a standard home made muffin looks like. Milk or buttermilk, flour, eggs,melted butter or oil, sugar and some other stuff.

See, I make scratch muffins but they are basically quick bread batter baked in muffin pans. I am living such a sheltered life!!!

Technically (and I just consulted my copyright 1960 home ec book on this, to verify), muffins and biscuits are both quick breads, the counter of which is yeast breads. No distinction is made based on add-ins (the book gives a basic muffin recipe, and lists blueberry muffins as a variation, for example).

Like you, I don't believe I've ever had a plain muffin (flour muffin; I've had plain corn muffins): Don't remember having them even in my 1950s/60s childhood. Maybe this is regional? Or just cultural?

A typical loaf-type quick bread recipe makes muffins that meet all the muffin criteria (as described in said book; I think the main distinction is baking shape, more than ingredients, as the proportions of various structural ingredients are similar or identical). But biscuits have somewhat different ingredients/proportions.

I've had plain (flour type) quick bread in a loaf, though: Soda bread, for one example.

The book distinguishes pour batters from drop batters from doughs (the latter of which can be rolled, in its terminology). It doesn't appear to strictly designate that any particular category always has a batter vs. a dough.

FWIW. ;)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited December 2018

Like this:

Buttermilk-01.jpg

The simple pouch mixes (like the Martha White apple cinnamon I like) don't look a lot different. They have the apple bits and in their picture they have the "standard" muffin top, but I make mini muffins and don't fill the cups too far up and they come out with more of that small cupcake shape.

51Eu10xGEdL.jpg

They look like a very different texture than a pouch muffin mix to me, including the crusty outside.

I will have to take a picture the next time I make some. Mine come out a lot like the ones @GottaBurnEmAll showed. I am not sure if it was careful staging by Martha White or if my cooking causes it. It usually does seem to take longer for mini muffins than the package says, but I don't think they are overcooked.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited December 2018
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I like lemon juice too, but I love vinegar (not on its own, but most other ways).

Same, pretty much. I do not think they are interchangeable. Vinegar icebox pie? Uhm, no thanks...

There are some vinegar based BBQ sauces that would not be good at all (IMO) with lemon juice. But there are some sweet ones where lemon juice is used and vinegar would not be good (again, IMO, but I'm right :laugh: ).
  • estherdragonbat
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Like this:

Buttermilk-01.jpg

Technically (and I just consulted my copyright 1960 home ec book on this, to verify), muffins and biscuits are both quick breads, the counter of which is yeast breads. No distinction is made based on add-ins (the book gives a basic muffin recipe, and lists blueberry muffins as a variation, for example).

Like you, I don't believe I've ever had a plain muffin (flour muffin; I've had plain corn muffins): Don't remember having them even in my 1950s/60s childhood. Maybe this is regional? Or just cultural?

A typical loaf-type quick bread recipe makes muffins that meet all the muffin criteria (as described in said book; I think the main distinction is baking shape, more than ingredients, as the proportions of various structural ingredients are similar or identical). But biscuits have somewhat different ingredients/proportions.

I've had plain (flour type) quick bread in a loaf, though: Soda bread, for one example.

The book distinguishes pour batters from drop batters from doughs (the latter of which can be rolled, in its terminology). It doesn't appear to strictly designate that any particular category always has a batter vs. a dough.

FWIW. ;)

I've had one cookbook tell me that quickbreads are to muffins what cakes are to cupcakes. (Mom never made quickbreads when I was growing up, so I never really caught on to the 'yeah, just pour the batter into muffin cups instead of a loafpan' bit.)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I don't like peanut butter.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited December 2018
    I don't understand how people like to eat dried seaweed. I found a pack at Grocery Outlet for a decent price a few years ago, & bought one to find out what it tasted like. Basically at least to me it tasted like pulling at grass as a kid & eating some to see what it tasted like.
  • estherdragonbat
    Roasted and salted, it's not bad.

I like to snack on cold veggie dogs and dry cereal. Not both at the same time.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I don't understand how people like to eat dried seaweed. I found a pack at Grocery Outlet for a decent price a few years ago, & bought one to find out what it tasted like. Basically at least to me it tasted like pulling at grass as a kid & eating some to see what it tasted like.
    I like dried seaweed as a snack, but it’s best when wrapped around rice and fish eggs or raw fish!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Out kayaking on the California coast last year, I had a bite of raw seaweed. I like it better dried.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    Reese's anything is seriously overrated. Doesn't even taste like pb or chocolate.

Oreo's are meh. My husband likes double stuff and that's gross. I suspect I'd like the thins, but not going to try right now.

Lay's salt and vinegar chips are gross. They taste like grease and burn my tongue faster than any other type. Almost any other brand is better.

Cheetos are apocalypse food. As in, they appear to be able to survive it by several years and that is the only way I'd eat them.

Hummus is also meh. Weird texture, bland (to me), unless so much other flavor is added it no longer tasted like hummus, but the texture still sucks.

I don't like plain avocado much, but love basic guacamole.

Egg beaters are an abomination. Eggs whites are okay, if mixed in no more than equal ratio with whole eggs.

Turkey bacon is NOT BACON. Call it something else, like ground, pressed, fake smoke flavored turkey strips.

Rice and pasta are far inferior to potatoes.

Pancakes are the least awesome "breakfast food". I'd rather eat like 15 kinds of cereal before pancakes. Waffles are acceptable, but still generally meh.

Pancake and/or maple syrup is awesome on bacon.

Spiral-cut glazed ham is disgusting. Give me a real, bone in ham everytime. Never glaze.

Beef cooked beyond medium-rare (Burgers can be medium, if cooked in a restaurant) is sad.

A-1 steak sauce is revolting. Also, steak doesn't need sauce. Especially A-1 sauce.

Red velvet cake is cake that is not quite chocolate and not quite anything else. If I am going to eat cake with cream cheese frosting, it will be carrot cake, full stop.

Frosted mini wheats are best with warm/hot milk. Reminds me of childhood when we'd eat shredded wheat with hot milk and a little sugar sprinkled on top.