What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Heck, I even like stuffing** (or dressing), and I'm a flippin' vegetarian, not to mention someone who doesn't give bread much love.

** You can stuff vegetables. Turnips baked with mushroom stuffing are particularly tasty. I gotta use veggie/mushroom broth, though, not bird/fish/mammal.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    I am a nit picker at times. It bugs me that something can be made on a stove top and be called stuffing. Growing up, stuffing was what was stuffed in the bird, while dressing was baked outside the bird. Sometimes they were exactly the same stuff; a bunch was made and what didn't fit in the bird was baked in a pan. They did come out differently; dressing was dryer with the crispy layer on top. When the bird was basted, the stuffing would get a squirt. It did come out soggy but that was what you expected if you got stuffing. It was tasty sogginess.

I saw an article on this. Stuffing vs dressing is just a regional thing, not if it's in the bird or on the stove. Something about southerners thinking that stuffing wasn't a proper term, so they started using dressing. My source is buzzfeed or maybe mental floss, so take it for what it's worth.

I think so. I've never really heard it called dressing, for the record, no matter how cooked, and would find that odd. Yes, I live in the North, specifically the northern part of the midwest (and have also spent time in the PNW and New England)

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/food/stuffing-or-dressing -- Southern vs. Northern thing

https://www.southernliving.com/dish/stuffing/stuffing-vs-dressing -- Southern vs. Northern thing

https://newengland.com/today/food/dressing-vs-stuffing/ -- same thing, most people call it stuffing (but there seems to be a northern bias to the poll)

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/dressing-stuffing-or-filling-regional-differences-are-subtle-but-huge-on-thanksgiving -- dressing and stuffing are the same thing, but there are regional differences to expected Thanksgiving dishes

https://www.marthastewart.com/1508590/stuffing-or-dressing-whats-difference -- it's a regional thing, most people who use the term stuffing don't cook it in the turkey

https://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2008/11/stuffing-vs-dressing.html -- debate thread
  • Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Carrots and peanut butter taste amazing together. I had no idea that wasn't a normal combination until my coworkers all said I was nuts. :D
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited December 2018
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    I am a nit picker at times. It bugs me that something can be made on a stove top and be called stuffing. Growing up, stuffing was what was stuffed in the bird, while dressing was baked outside the bird. Sometimes they were exactly the same stuff; a bunch was made and what didn't fit in the bird was baked in a pan. They did come out differently; dressing was dryer with the crispy layer on top. When the bird was basted, the stuffing would get a squirt. It did come out soggy but that was what you expected if you got stuffing. It was tasty sogginess.

I saw an article on this. Stuffing vs dressing is just a regional thing, not if it's in the bird or on the stove. Something about southerners thinking that stuffing wasn't a proper term, so they started using dressing. My source is buzzfeed or maybe mental floss, so take it for what it's worth.

I guess it's a regional thing and it can be if it was cooked by stuffing it in the bird or not. I grew up in the south. I didn't just read this on buzzfeed or something; I heard the terms used that way for the first 25 years of my life. This was in AL and GA. My grandparents in AL always referred to it that way and both of my parents were from AL, so it may be just an AL thing that I continued to hear from my parents when we moved to GA. Anyway, my Grandmother and my mother (who learned it from her) made one recipe in a big bowl and the stuff was what was cooked in the bird and the dressing was what was cooked in a pan.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Carrots and peanut butter taste amazing together. I had no idea that wasn't a normal combination until my coworkers all said I was nuts. :D

I can attest to this. It's actually pretty good!

Out of pure laziness, I ate a kiwi the other day skin and all. It was actually pretty good! Not nearly as fuzzy as one would think. Similar mouthfeel to that of a peach IMO.
  • CarvedTones

Out of pure laziness, I ate a kiwi the other day skin and all. It was actually pretty good! Not nearly as fuzzy as one would think. Similar mouthfeel to that of a peach IMO.

I didn't think peanut butter was that unusual on a veggie tray, especially for filling the cavity of celery sticks. Dipping baby carrots or carrot sticks (a little harder to do as they break easy) is good also.

I eat kiwis that way a lot, some mangoes (sometimes the peel has a bad taste of is too tough) and even small oranges (treating them like big kumkwats). I do peel pineapples (and bananas :laugh: ), but I am not bothered by a few little woody specks in pineapple chunks.
  • Crafty_camper123

I didn't think peanut butter was that unusual on a veggie tray, especially for filling the cavity of celery sticks. Dipping baby carrots or carrot sticks (a little harder to do as they break easy) is good also.

I eat kiwis that way a lot, some mangoes (sometimes the peel has a bad taste of is too tough) and even small oranges (treating them like big kumkwats). I do peel pineapples (and bananas :laugh: ), but I am not bothered by a few little woody specks in pineapple chunks.

I chew on the woody bits from pineapple. It's like a bonus treat while I cut it up.
  • CarvedTones

I chew on the woody bits from pineapple. It's like a bonus treat while I cut it up.

The center? I eat that, at least at the bottom and if it is a reasonably ripe one, all the way up.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    I love stuffing. It's my favorite part of Thanksgiving.

Mine too!

I don't really care for turkey & would rather eat chicken/ham.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Most traditional breakfast foods (bacon, sausage, hash browns, gravy, biscuits, bagels, donuts, kid's cereals etc.) poorly fuel you for the day.

But you could say the same for skipping breakfast altogether. I think what fuels a person for the day (whatever their eating schedule) is what suits their tastes, activities and lifestyle.

eta: I generally eat a protein bar for breakfast, but I've been known to have a bacon and bagel sandwich and it's suited me just fine :)

I just spent a long weekend staying at a hotel where breakfast was included and ate a lot of stuff that I generally don't (sausage, bacon, cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, biscuits, gravy, chocolate muffins) and felt like a big glob of grease, salt, and sugar was just rolling around in my gut all morning- it did fill me up but my energy level felt low. I don't know how people (like my dad, for example) eat like that every morning.

The hotel I mentioned in Jackson, MS, where I had the eggs, etc., had all that stuff too, but I didn't figure a hotel buffet would be the most delicious source for any of that, so I didn't eat it. (I would certainly go to a good Southern-style or soul food place for brunch and have some of it on rare occasion.)

I don't actually think most people eat huge breakfasts every morning. Many more elaborate breakfasts for my family were always a one day on the weekend (and not every weekend) when dad cooks sort of thing, and typically pancakes or french toast plus bacon and eggs.

Until recently, my dad normally had some kind of non sweetened cereal or oats with fruit. Now his ladyfriend makes them some sort of breakfast with eggs and veg (and always tomatoes, she's obsessed with tomatoes having healthful properties). (I actually like the ladyfriend and she's been good for his eating habits and is an amazing cook.)

I generally don't eat breakfast since I find I'm not hungry during that time & usually just eat a protein bar (I usually eat anywhere from 10-1) for my first snack.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly

I wonder how nuts I am for doing this?

I've been eating this Banquet meal (it's cheap) Backyard BBQ Combo & once I'm done eating the meat/mashed potatoes I'll put some grape tomatoes on the frozen dinner container & smother it in the leftover BBQ sauce.
  • IHateMyThyroid
    IHateMyThyroid Posts: 23 Member
    Kale tastes disgusting served raw, no matter how much you massage it. It needs to be cooked.
  • Crafty_camper123
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I really hate those traditional boxes of chocolates. They are filled with all these stupid flavors that no one wants. Like raspberry cream and other bull-kitten like that.
    The only good ones are the caramels. The rest are trash. Unless they are Godiva, but those are more truffle and less sickly sweet fruit cream.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I really hate those traditional boxes of chocolates. They are filled with all these stupid flavors that no one wants. Like raspberry cream and other bull-kitten like that.

I love the cherry cordials. My husband thinks I'm nuts.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member

I love the cherry cordials. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

I also think you're nuts
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member

I was spoiled by my dad and he would buy us girls (not just mom) our own boxes of handmade truffles at Valentine's Day and when he came home from trips. And my grandparents were confused about why we turned up our noses at Whitman Samplers & Russel Stover, to them that was quality chocolate. Gag.