What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Mincemeat pie is fantastic with an extra glug of brandy stirred in just before baking. I rarely drink alcohol but use it with wild abandon in cooking.
  • pinkgurl456
    pinkgurl456 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Tahini sauce tastes like a bad unsweetened version of PB (which I’m obsessed with) also avocado is gross unless on toast with olive oil
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Here's one I haven't seen, but since everyone is talking about fruitcake:

I think putting alcohol in desserts/candy absolutely ruins them. I like it in savory dishes, it's wonderful in a mushroom gravy, but in pecan pie? No.

Caveat: I don't drink, but I felt this way when I did drink.

I posted the same thing earlier in the thread. I am not trying you a hard time about not remembering everything in this massive thread; I certainly don't. I think liquor/liqueurs/beer/wine is a gimmick and the substitutes for non drinkers generally taste better. I also don't drink, though in my case it's because I had to retire my jersey because I was so good at it. That means I need to stay away from it on principle even if the alcohol is completely evaporated by cooking.

I don't like booze in my food (even wine). I don't like the flavour of hard alcohols, and only like sweet white or rose wine. Seems like a waste of food to put stuff in it that tastes gross.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Tahini sauce tastes like a bad unsweetened version of PB (which I’m obsessed with) also avocado is gross unless on toast with olive oil

Tahini was always terribly bitter tasting to me. I found out that hummus made with peanut butter instead was delicious.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Dunkin Donuts is meh, but I don't think it's highly rated, maybe in New England?

I was excited to try Tim Hortons since Canadians talk about it, but I thought it was meh too.

As a Canadian who has resided in the US for 18+ yrs... Tim Horton's coffee is meh, Dunkin's coffee is meh (caveat, both their dark roasts are better than regular) and McDonald's coffee is better than either.

I love McDonalds coffee. :love:

I don't know about McD's coffee, but I've found their latte very variable by location. (I love my latte because yum milk, and skim = ovo-lacto veggie protein, especially hard to get enough while traveling, so double win.) In some places, it tastes like they stored the beans somewhere too hot, so the espresso tastes harsh and bad (or maybe they've been there too long). In other places, it's fine. I went to one in the US South where nonfat was not an option, not available, not then, not ever. wtFlip?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Dunkin Donuts is meh, but I don't think it's highly rated, maybe in New England?

I was excited to try Tim Hortons since Canadians talk about it, but I thought it was meh too.

As a Canadian who has resided in the US for 18+ yrs... Tim Horton's coffee is meh, Dunkin's coffee is meh (caveat, both their dark roasts are better than regular) and McDonald's coffee is better than either.

I don't know about McD's coffee, but I've found their latte very variable by location. (I love my latte because yum milk, and skim = ovo-lacto veggie protein, especially hard to get enough while traveling, so double win.) In some places, it tastes like they stored the beans somewhere too hot, so the espresso tastes harsh and bad (or maybe they've been there too long). In other places, it's fine. I went to one in the US South where nonfat was not an option, not available, not then, not ever. wtFlip?

No non-fat?!?! Yep. Weird. I have never been to the Southeast area of the US, I think maybe it is in the works for me after the New Year. Taking a cruise to the Caribbean. I will make a stop at a McD’s, I’m curious now.

FWIW. I do not like Duncan Donuts coffee. Nope, nope, nope. Sorry @AnvilHead ;)
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I don’t get the appeal of coffee. Especially black coffee. Just the smell and sight of it makes me want to pop an antacid and Xanax 😖

Olives are gross.

I think those veggie meatless crumbles are so good. They don’t taste exactly like ground beef, but it’s pretty damn close. I don’t use them as a meat substitute though. I just genuinely like them.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options

I think those veggie meatless crumbles are so good. They don’t taste exactly like ground beef, but it’s pretty damn close. I don’t use them as a meat substitute though. I just genuinely like them.

Agreed
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Most desserts like traditional birthday cake, pie, and cookies are way too sweet and not worth eating.

Beer is gross. Every beer. The maltiness is gross. I have had "good" beer and it is still gross.

I love the cream and chunks at the top of a carton of unhomogenized milk.

Most chain restaurant food is just MEH.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Those flavored creamers that don't have any sensible relationship to a dairy product, and come in different fancy flavors: Yuck. They just taste like gooey, unpleasant, imitation-food, laboratory experiments to me.

I prefer coffee pretty plain, not sweet when hot, with dairy milk . . . but I get why people might like the hot-milkshake kind of coffee, or flavored coffee beans (hazelnut, chocolate, cinnamon, etc.). Those strange fakey-tasting (to me) creamers though: I don't get that at all.

But I know people who love them, couldn't give them up, etc. It's a mystery.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

No non-fat?!?! Yep. Weird. I have never been to the Southeast area of the US, I think maybe it is in the works for me after the New Year. Taking a cruise to the Caribbean. I will make a stop at a McD’s, I’m curious now.

A friend of mine loves Dunkin coffee and insisted that we get coffee there when we were on an early morning roadtrip. He did not warn me that their regular coffee apparently involves added cream and sugar -- I could have dealt with cream, but I cannot drink sweetened coffee, I think it's disgusting. I was so mad, it's weird to add something without asking. (Similarly tea=unsweetened, that should be the default. Anything added should be specified.)

Maybe Dunkins everywhere don't do that, but my friend seemed to think it was the norm.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Those flavored creamers that don't have any sensible relationship to a dairy product, and come in different fancy flavors: Yuck. They just taste like gooey, unpleasant, imitation-food, laboratory experiments to me.

I prefer coffee pretty plain, not sweet when hot, with dairy milk . . . but I get why people might like the hot-milkshake kind of coffee, or flavored coffee beans (hazelnut, chocolate, cinnamon, etc.). Those strange fakey-tasting (to me) creamers though: I don't get that at all.

But I know people who love them, couldn't give them up, etc. It's a mystery.

Yeah, they are terrible.

My grandmother got really into the Bailey's creamer at one point, and I recall my sister and I being at her place one morning (I was in college, I think) and she offered us coffee with Baileys, insisting it was amazing, and I was really confused -- why is grandma (who didn't really drink) pushing alcoholic coffee on us in the morning? Then I got it, but that is definitely one of those fakey-tasting creamers. I suspect she may not have realized there was some other Baileys.

However, I feel the same way about most flavored coffees (esp vanilla), at least the kinds in the pods that are commonly available.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I don’t get the appeal of coffee. Especially black coffee. Just the smell and sight of it makes me want to pop an antacid and Xanax 😖

Olives are gross.

Black coffee and olives are both on my "things I love" list.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

The "no nonfat" was just one McD location, I think in Tennessee, probably in Oak Ridge general area, but I can't remember for sure. Might have been South Carolina or Virginia - the trips blur in my brain. For sure, another McD location in the same general area had nonfat. Go figure. Yep, weird.

If you've not been to the Southeast, do specify, if you order iced tea, whether you want sweet or unsweet . . . or you will get sweet, unless they're insightful enough to ask. True many places, not just talking about McD.
  • jenjens86
    jenjens86 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hate avocado 🤢🤢🤢
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

The "no nonfat" was just one McD location, I think in Tennessee, probably in Oak Ridge general area, but I can't remember for sure. Might have been South Carolina or Virginia - the trips blur in my brain. For sure, another McD location in the same general area had nonfat. Go figure. Yep, weird.

If you've not been to the Southeast, do specify, if you order iced tea, whether you want sweet or unsweet . . . or you will get sweet, unless they're insightful enough to ask. True many places, not just talking about McD.

Oh Southern sweet tea! It's awful! Now, I like iced tea sweetened a teeny bit, but sweet tea is cloying.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I really dislike eggnog unless there is dark rum in it.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm shocked that sugar is ever in biscuits. As soon as that's added it's more a muffin. I live where most biscuits end up crispy on the outside so it's almost like they were deep fried 😫. So disappointing and not worth the calories at all. People also work the dough too much.

Biscuit dough should be the dry ingredients barely mixed with the wet. Basically kind of pushing it together while not really stirring at all. And ultimately don't fold it over and roll it out even once or twice. That's kneading and developing gluten so the texture ends up all wrong. You can gently roll over the top once to flatten it but I usually use my hands to flatten. Cut and bake THEN add butter to the tops. Flaky, tender, melt in your mouth deliciousness. Eggs/yeast should also not be an ingredient because then it's a dinner roll instead.

Sugar in cornbread is disgusting. Sweetened with honey after is good with some butter but I really prefer savory additions. Never had problems getting mine to brown. I like it baked with some cheese and diced fresh hot peppers - never should be pickled ones.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

I have to go to Mississippi multiple times a year for work right now, and at the office we are often at they always make a big thing of bringing in "unsweet" iced tea with lunch. The way it was done initially, it was very clear they were aware northerners were weird (well, not in my view, of course) and would expect unsweet and so they were doing it for that reason, with a bit of a skeptical look. ;-)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked that sugar is ever in biscuits. As soon as that's added it's more a muffin. I live where most biscuits end up crispy on the outside so it's almost like they were deep fried 😫. So disappointing and not worth the calories at all.

I few places near me, a lot of fast food and donut/pastry shops, have flavored "biscuits" with icing on them and they weigh about double what I think a biscuit should weigh. They are sweet heavy pastries; Hardee's is 390 calories and Bojangle's is 375 - for one "biscuit"!