What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• BaVIP073
    BaVIP073 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Kale tastes disgusting served raw, no matter how much you massage it. It needs to be cooked.

I agree. Also, I'd rather have collards or mustard greens over kale in any form.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    This is not the first time I’ve heard that peanut butter and carrots are good together. Must try asap.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Carrots and peanut butter taste amazing together. I had no idea that wasn't a normal combination until my coworkers all said I was nuts. :D

I bet they'd be good pureed together like hummus.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and mint is a terrible combination! I think I am one of the only people who feels this way. Everyone seems to just love mint chocolate baked goods and candies, but I just find them pretty gross. I would so much rather have chocolate/pb or chocolate/caramel or any other combo!

Also not a fan of white chocolate peppermint baked goods or popcorn. Mint just doesn't belong in baked goods or snacks for me, lol. Only gum and mints.
  • LisaCross887
    LisaCross887 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't like coffee.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Chocolate and mint is a terrible combination! I think I am one of the only people who feels this way. Everyone seems to just love mint chocolate baked goods and candies, but I just find them pretty gross. I would so much rather have chocolate/pb or chocolate/caramel or any other combo!

Also not a fan of white chocolate peppermint baked goods or popcorn. Mint just doesn't belong in baked goods or snacks for me, lol. Only gum and mints.

ohh but those andes mints are sooo good...

Yes they are. I have fond memories of when my grandfather would come home from business trips with a handful of them, bunches of stickers, and souvenirs from where he went.
  • IHateMyThyroid
    IHateMyThyroid Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Like Spinnerdell, I'm totally pro-fruitcake. If you think you hate fruitcake, you've probably eaten a garbage American fruitcake with icky chemical-laden candied fruit. A nice homemade one with dried fruits only, decent citrus peel (which can be really hard to buy in America), and dark, dark, dark cake is gorgeous. And actually pretty easy to improve health-wise except for the sugar in the fruit. It's so heavy that making one with all whole grain flour is indistinguishable from white flour, you can cut the fat radically without affecting the texture much, and unrefined sweeteners like blackstrap molasses taste good with the other flavors.
  • IHateMyThyroid
    Options
    Bacon is overrated.

Yes! I can totally take or leave bacon. And I can't abide the texture of undercooked animal fat, so the only time I'm tempted to take it rather than leave it is if it's been cooked so crisp it shatters and has no rubbery bits at all. So mostly I don't eat bacon.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Bacon is overrated.

I think the smell of bacon is better than what it actually delivers. I actually think that about most meat. For example, most grilled meat disappointed me most of the time. Especially steak cuts that we could afford.

I'm going by memory here, because I've been a vegetarian for about six years now.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Here's one I haven't seen, but since everyone is talking about fruitcake:

I think putting alcohol in desserts/candy absolutely ruins them. I like it in savory dishes, it's wonderful in a mushroom gravy, but in pecan pie? No.

Caveat: I don't drink, but I felt this way when I did drink.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Bacon is overrated.

I think the smell of bacon is better than what it actually delivers. I actually think that about most meat. For example, most grilled meat disappointed me most of the time. Especially steak cuts that we could afford.

I'm going by memory here, because I've been a vegetarian for about six years now.

I feel this way about coffee. Smells amazing. Tastes like bitter disappointment.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

I think putting alcohol in desserts/candy absolutely ruins them. I like it in savory dishes, it's wonderful in a mushroom gravy, but in pecan pie? No.

I’ve another, freshly squeezed orange juice and then add some champagne. Ugh
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bacon is overrated.

Totally! I have just never been that into it. The smell makes you think it's going to be amazing, then it's just like.. eh ok. It's bacon. Cool.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    Bacon is overrated.

Totally! I have just never been that into it. The smell makes you think it's going to be amazing, then it's just like.. eh ok. It's bacon. Cool.

Dipped in pancake syrup or on a cheeseburger are really the only ways I like bacon. I HATE bacon flavored stuff. Tastes like a dirty ashtray.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

As someone who does drink, I'll second this. Much better to sip some nice alcohol along with your dessert rather than add it to it, IMHO.
  • IHateMyThyroid
    Options
    Bacon is overrated.

Big agree on normal-person-budget steak! The flavor and texture are always, "What's the point?" I had a truly great steak exactly once in my life, and the memory has permanently ruined normal steaks. Which can't be a bad thing for the whole saturated fat percentage. Plus the memories of the truly great steak are calorie- and saturated-fat free!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I agree. Way to ruin a perfectly good dessert. I've also heard of people putting alcohol in a watermelon and that just appalls me. Why would you ruin a watermelon like that?