Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunnerpancakerunner Posts: 2,925Member Member Posts: 2,925Member Member
    This is going to be unpopular and I’m embarrassed to admit that I like these Entenmann’s donuts. When I was a kid we called them “chocolate wax donuts” because the outside is so waxy. But I grew up right near the factory so we’d get them fresh right from the factory store. Haven’t had them in a while, but I wouldn’t turn one down. nf4vcg0ig490.png

I wouldn't say they taste great, but I also like them because they taste like nostalgia. Same with Entenmann's coffee cake.

Agreed! These are my childhood. Grew up dunking them in milk, letting them get really soggy. love!
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 14,924Member Member Posts: 14,924Member Member
    This is going to be unpopular and I’m embarrassed to admit that I like these Entenmann’s donuts. When I was a kid we called them “chocolate wax donuts” because the outside is so waxy. But I grew up right near the factory so we’d get them fresh right from the factory store. Haven’t had them in a while, but I wouldn’t turn one down. nf4vcg0ig490.png

Once in a blue moon I will have the opportunity to have one. I get myself a glass of milk to go with it, and if I close my eyes I'm 10 yrs old again. And I'd say that for packaged pastry, Entenmann's is pretty good. More flavor other than straight on sugar than most. Our go-to's in the 70s and 80s were the rich frosted doughnuts, coffee cake, and crumb cake. <sigh>
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Posts: 7,131Member, Premium Member Posts: 7,131Member, Premium Member

This is going to be unpopular and I’m embarrassed to admit that I like these Entenmann’s donuts. When I was a kid we called them “chocolate wax donuts” because the outside is so waxy. But I grew up right near the factory so we’d get them fresh right from the factory store. Haven’t had them in a while, but I wouldn’t turn one down.

I wouldn't say they taste great, but I also like them because they taste like nostalgia. Same with Entenmann's coffee cake.

Kind of like my occasional Moon Pie.
  • seltzermint555seltzermint555 Posts: 10,344Member Member Posts: 10,344Member Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I also don't like custard filled or jelly filled doughnuts. With the jelly, it's more that they usually put too much in, but I don't like the custard ones at all. White cream all the way.

Agreed!! When I get creme filled, the person in front of me is almost always getting custard filled. No!

See, this is a thing I just don't understand: If the person in front of me orders something I think is yucky, I just feel happy that they left the things I do like for me, instead of gobbling them before I get to the front of the line. ;)

Back on topic: I think modern fancy cupcakes, the ones with inches of frosting on top, are revolting. Most of the time, it's not even good frosting, i.e., tastes more like shortening than butter. (I will leave these beautiful but - to me - unpleasant things right there in the display case, where one of y'all frosting lovers can enjoy buying/eating them.)

I don't think it's bad/gross for them but I am just amazed at how many people get custard filled. I don't think I have EVER heard someone else order creme-filled, that's the thing!
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 4,956Member Member Posts: 4,956Member Member
    I also don't like custard filled or jelly filled doughnuts. With the jelly, it's more that they usually put too much in, but I don't like the custard ones at all. White cream all the way.

Agreed!! When I get creme filled, the person in front of me is almost always getting custard filled. No!

See, this is a thing I just don't understand: If the person in front of me orders something I think is yucky, I just feel happy that they left the things I do like for me, instead of gobbling them before I get to the front of the line. ;)

Back on topic: I think modern fancy cupcakes, the ones with inches of frosting on top, are revolting. Most of the time, it's not even good frosting, i.e., tastes more like shortening than butter. (I will leave these beautiful but - to me - unpleasant things right there in the display case, where one of y'all frosting lovers can enjoy buying/eating them.)

Agree.

Also, cupcakes should never have filling.

Most cakes and cupcakes are too sweet, and a well-made pie is better than a well-made cake (although I do like good cake too).
    edited February 3
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Posts: 2,925Member Member Posts: 2,925Member Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Agree.

Most cakes and cupcakes are too sweet, and a well-made pie is better than a well-made cake (although I do like good cake too).

the only cupcake that should have filling is a Hostess Ding Dong. Is that a cupcake??
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 4,956Member Member Posts: 4,956Member Member

Agree.

the only cupcake that should have filling is a Hostess Ding Dong. Is that a cupcake??

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

this is what I meant :)
    bk5plqvcauv6.png
  • glassyoglassyo Posts: 4,253Member Member Posts: 4,253Member Member

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Hostess has their own cupcakes! And ding dongs. And Ho Hos. And Zingers. And Snowballs. And donettes. And honeybuns. And.... :)
    glassyo wrote: »

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Hostess has their own cupcakes! And ding dongs. And Ho Hos. And Zingers. And Snowballs. And donettes. And honeybuns. And.... :)

yeah, but Little Debbie has zebra cakes, oatmeal cream pies, nutty bars and cosmic brownies...
  • CupcakeCrusoeCupcakeCrusoe Posts: 696Member Member Posts: 696Member Member

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

yeah, but Little Debbie has zebra cakes, oatmeal cream pies, nutty bars and cosmic brownies...

I will say, oatmeal cream pies, every once in a while, are my exception for a blanket "meh" on snack cakes.

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Personally, I think the nutty bars are the best out of everything. :) I used to love the oatmeal cream pies but haven't had them in a while.
  • RelCanonicalRelCanonical Posts: 3,538Member Member Posts: 3,538Member Member

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Personally, I think the nutty bars are the best out of everything. :) I used to love the oatmeal cream pies but haven't had them in a while.

I like nutty bars the best too. I think they held up the best through the transition to more adult tastes, although I still crave zebra cakes out of nostalgia.

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

I like nutty bars the best too. I think they held up the best through the transition to more adult tastes, although I still crave zebra cakes out of nostalgia.

I recently tried the zebra cakes and they didn't do anything for me. Not enough cake? I ended up eating the cream part and that was it.
  • bark2j5bark2j5 Posts: 9Member Member Posts: 9Member Member
    Avocados are gross.
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 14,924Member Member Posts: 14,924Member Member

Agree.

Ding Dongs are the ones that look like chocolate covered hockey pucks I think :smile:
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 14,252Member Member Posts: 14,252Member Member

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

In my world, those are not even food. Uck, to me. You may have them allllll.

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Also not food, to me; also uck. They're all yours.

;)

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

;)

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT TWINKIES!!!!!

@AnnPT77 You just reminded me since I think twinkies will be the last food standing. And, boyyyyyyyyy, will you be regretting your hoity toity foodie ways then! :)
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 14,252Member Member Posts: 14,252Member Member

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

;)

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT TWINKIES!!!!!

@AnnPT77 You just reminded me since I think twinkies will be the last food standing. And, boyyyyyyyyy, will you be regretting your hoity toity foodie ways then! :)

Nope. I know how to safely prepare and eat acorns. They're pretty bad, but probably not - to me - as bad as snack cakes.

:lol:

Hoity toity? Hrmph. I didn't call you names. I gave you all the snack cakes.