Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Employer Partnering With Spanx

Options

Replies

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    For a different perspective, I previously worked at a Victoria's Secret and there was no mention or recommendation of any specific undergarments that we should wear- although it was made very clear during the interview they preferred for women to wear heels (unless there was a medical reason we could not) as well as makeup and simple jewelry.

We were given the option to receive free samples of new products (bras, underwear, and shapewear) from time to time to try out so that we could have better discussions with customers on the fit/performance of the item and what our personal favorites were- but again you did not HAVE to.

Just interesting to think that a company that is in the undergarment business has (at least they didn't when I worked there) no undergarment policy or "suggestions", as this might be one job that I could see that argument being made for.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But aren't Spanx just a particular brand of compression shorts, but specifically designed for women?
    I user UA and C9 compression shorts bit only for the gym. I don't know how someone can wear that compression all day long.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am in a representative function and can early too address 400-500 people
    No dresscode what so ever If I wanted I could wear sneakers etc.
    However my employer trusts that as professionals we know how to look and dress representative in a way to fits the occasion.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I had to look up Spanx on Google as I'd never heard of it and now I'm fascinated. Do they work? To me they look like the awful girdles my mother's generation used to wear which I thought had been done away with years ago. And in answer to the original question, yes I do think it's body shaming if that's how it's worded.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But aren't Spanx just a particular brand of compression shorts, but specifically designed for women?
    I user UA and C9 compression shorts bit only for the gym. I don't know how someone can wear that compression all day long.

No, Spanx (at least the version we're talking about) is "shapewear" - it's similar to compression type clothing but designed to be worn under street clothes. It's function is to "smooth lines", meaning it compresses jiggly bits to be firmer, and comes in various shapes for top, bottom or bust-to-thigh control.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I had to look up Spanx on Google as I'd never heard of it and now I'm fascinated. Do they work? To me they look like the awful girdles my mother's generation used to wear which I thought had been done away with years ago. And in answer to the original question, yes I do think it's body shaming if that's how it's worded.

Yeah that's basically what they are with a trendier name than "girdle". They do work in the sense of smoothing your lines and sucking in your gut. I will use them for special occasions if I want to look better in a slinky dress. But IMO they would be uncomfortable to wear all day, every day.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

They're not intended for athletic activities and wouldn't work for that purpose (for several reasons including many styles are dress/slip style and the shorts have a hole in the gusset so you can pee without taking them off since they're so hard to get on). They're just intended to smooth and firm up the appearance of fat etc. Women wear them under formal wear, very thin fabrics, etc, where they might want to avoid pantylines, look a little firmer/trimmer, etc. They are 100% cosmetic.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    the shorts have a hole in the gusset so you can pee without taking them off since they're so hard to get on

Is this real? I can't find this with a quick google. Its both hilarious and a bit gross, if true. No way you'd not get a bit of pee on them sometimes.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    the shorts have a hole in the gusset so you can pee without taking them off since they're so hard to get on

Is this real? I can't find this with a quick google. Its both hilarious and a bit gross, if true. No way you'd not get a bit of pee on them sometimes.

Yeah, it's real. I have one - I use it maybe once a year when I'm wearing a dress with a tighter bodice that would force me to unzip the back to get the Spanx off. Yeah, it's a little gross.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Yeah, it's real. I have one - I use it maybe once a year when I'm wearing a dress with a tighter bodice that would force me to unzip the back to get the Spanx off. Yeah, it's a little gross.

Yep! It's incredibly gross. I've never been able to bring myself to use it when wearing them and instead just spend 15 minutes wrestling everything back into place in a bathroom stall, which is one reason of many I prefer non-bodycon gowns for events whenever possible. I go to a lot of cocktail and black-tie events for work, and my favourite formal gown has basically a t-shirt style top and a full, gathered a-line skirt so I can literally wear a sports bra and any underwear with it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Yep! It's incredibly gross. I've never been able to bring myself to use it when wearing them and instead just spend 15 minutes wrestling everything back into place in a bathroom stall, which is one reason of many I prefer non-bodycon gowns for events whenever possible. I go to a lot of cocktail and black-tie events for work, and my favourite formal gown has basically a t-shirt style top and a full, gathered a-line skirt so I can literally wear a sports bra and any underwear with it.

A-line and fit-and-flare dresses are your friends! I refuse to wear anything that makes using the restroom an event.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

Ha ha that's exactly what I thought! Not all women pee in a straight downward stream.....
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

Yeah that's basically what they are with a trendier name than "girdle". They do work in the sense of smoothing your lines and sucking in your gut. I will use them for special occasions if I want to look better in a slinky dress. But IMO they would be uncomfortable to wear all day, every day.

So I have a naturally fairly rounded belly which means I don't look great in slinky dresses. This would smooth it out? What happens to it, though? Sorry but I'm intrigued (and tempted)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

So I have a naturally fairly rounded belly which means I don't look great in slinky dresses. This would smooth it out? What happens to it, though? Sorry but I'm intrigued (and tempted)

It wouldn't smooth out your belly. You might look a little smaller, but you won't go from 9 months pregnant to washboard abs wearing Spanx.

If your belly is loose, it'll go up or down or both.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options

It basically just squishes it in. Like when you take a deep breath and hold it. That's kind of the result you'd get. It doesn't work miracles but can make you look a little trimmer and firmer without having to hold your breath.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

It basically just squishes it in. Like when you take a deep breath and hold it. That's kind of the result you'd get. It doesn't work miracles but can make you look a little trimmer and firmer without having to hold your breath.

Think I'll give it a miss then, sounds pretty uncomfortable!
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    You must tell us what you do for a living which would require professional Spankification.

I'm thinking:
    1. Cocktail Waitress
    2. Airline Stewardess
    3. Restaurant Hostess in Beverly Hills or Vegas
    4. Weight Watchers Receptionist
    5. Planet Fitness Assistant Manager
    6. Babysitter for a Manhattan socialite's children
    7. Moderator at My Fitness Pal hoping for a promotion to a paid position.
    8. Keto Spokeswoman for a You Tube channel.
    Why #1 and #2 and #6 in your list?

• newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    You must tell us what you do for a living which would require professional Spankification.

I'm thinking:
    1. Cocktail Waitress
    2. Airline Stewardess

Cool. I've worked 3 jobs before too and socked a lot of money sway.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I'm thinking:
    1. Cocktail Waitress
    2. Airline Stewardess

Cool. I've worked 3 jobs before too and socked a lot of money sway.

I am asking why you put them on your list. They don’t seem like positions where Spanx would be necessary. I’m not saying I work in any of those fields.