Do You Follow MFP’s Calorie Limit?

Options
124»

Replies

• KKSW1981
    KKSW1981 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Noooo! Unfortunately! It gives me 1,600 but I only reached in once. I'm too hungry.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,755 Member
    Options
    I'm losing 2 pounds a month at what MFP thinks is my maintenance. Either I'm not as sedentary as I think or I'm underestimating my exercise burns.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    frenchy807 wrote: »
    Hi All!

This seems like an “obvious” question, but I am wondering if any of you strictly follow MFP’s calorie limit or do you set your own? For example, my calorie limit says I should eat 1600 calories, but I tend to eat around 2,000 because 1600 just seems so low. Just curious if anyone else does this or if they strictly stay at what MFP suggests?? Thanks!! :)

Yes I do. The number is based on information we enter at the start of the program, so the only way it could be wrong is if we start with false information.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    No, I set my own calorie and macro-nutrient goals and then use MFP to track food. I make changes as my plans change and eat in a way to hit the most important aspects of whatever I'm doing at the present time.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I set my NET calorie goal using Mfp. When I have changed my weight loss/maintenance goals, I have again set my NET calorie goal using mfp.

MFP tells me to log exercise. I do that. MFP adds those calories to the number I can eat. I eat until mfp says 0 calories remaining. I lose/gain/maintain as expected.

Mfp sets a daily NET goal. It does not tell me to eat that amount every day no matter what. My NET goal remains the same whether I sit on the couch all day or run 20 miles. The number of calories I consume varies dramatically - all doing what MFP tells me to do and eating until I have 0 calories remaining.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I'm losing 2 pounds a month at what MFP thinks is my maintenance. Either I'm not as sedentary as I think or I'm underestimating my exercise burns.

Or you're a standard deviation(ish) away from the mean values that the so-called "calculators" spit out. It happens . . . because statistics. ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    frenchy807 wrote: »
    Hi All!

This seems like an “obvious” question, but I am wondering if any of you strictly follow MFP’s calorie limit or do you set your own? For example, my calorie limit says I should eat 1600 calories, but I tend to eat around 2,000 because 1600 just seems so low. Just curious if anyone else does this or if they strictly stay at what MFP suggests?? Thanks!! :)

Yes I do. The number is based on information we enter at the start of the program, so the only way it could be wrong is if we start with false information.

Not true. It gives you an estimate based on limited inputs. It's not a crystal ball. It can produce an inaccurate result, even with truthful inputs.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I set my cals to "lightly active" instead of "moderately active" and split the difference by eating "45 minutes strength training" cals every day, regardless of whether I lift or not. I lift most days though and on days i don't I'm usually doing something active like biking, snowboarding, dirt biking etc. So it all balances out - very seldom do i take a day of doing nothing active and when I do it's like a mini refeed
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    What is a "calorie"?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Unit of measurement for the energy stored in food.
  • Carvendive
    Carvendive Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My MFP recommendation is 2220 plus workouts which a averages to 2680. I set my goal at 2# loss per week.

My problem is that when I eat clean (more plant based) I can't eat beyond 1800-2000 without feeling stuffed. My average consumed is 16-1700 per day. The exception is when I'm cycling and eat more carb/fat - then I can eat 2400+.

I know I need to work on this but just haven't found it yet.