December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @noblsheep aw darn it. I may have gone with the Samsung had I had just one person not use/love the iPod! Ah well. Sending virtual high five on the German lessons. There maybe a way to add friends. I had one person try to add me as a friend or something and I emailed tech support telling them I didn’t want any friends. Hahah, there’s no way yet to be unfriendly. Maybe we can find one another. Somehow.

@Orphia I’m taking nutrition and developmental psychology. Easy peasy stuff I like.

I'm way behind on posts again but wanted to comment on this too... I also love my iPad and my iPhone and my Apple Watch!
    I was a Windows gal forever and when I retired in April my daughter gave me her old MacBook Pro... I was able to get the MS Office Pro suite for Mac through work before I left so I can still use OneNote, Excel, Word, etc... Like others I have all my Apple devices synched too! It is awesome to start something on my Mac in my office and pick it up on my iPad in the family room. I haven't yet really learned all the fun apps and things I can do with it but I am working on it!

@elise4270 - Developmental Biology was one of my favorite classes in college - I took it and some others then mostly just for fun and ended up with a Minor in Biology :) and one in Chemistry and one in Computer Science... I really just liked taking all kinds of classes :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @garygse since I cocked up making the January thread, maybe my thread starter privileges should be revoked? You wanna re start it? Or give it a day and see if the mods change the title for me?

@shanaber I’m not keen on windows. I call it microshit turd just to be onry. I love excel and have replaced that with the google sheets. I like the iPad. I don’t know why Swype isn’t a thing with iPad. I’m such a lazy speller, I like the ability to half try :blush: ETA I’m taking developmental psychology. I have a minor in environmental health science, math and bs in chem. I suppose I can transfer these additional credits in to my bs and get a bs in biology, if I continue to take classes. Not sure what purpose I’ll serve me.

Thanks goodness it’s Wednesday. I have work dread.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I’m not keen on windows. I call it microshit turd just to be onry. I love excel and have replaced that with the google sheets. I like the iPad. I don’t know why Swype isn’t a thing with iPad. I’m such a lazy speller, I like the ability to half try :blush:

Pretty sure it is a thing: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swype-keyboard/id916365675
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I’m not keen on windows. I call it microshit turd just to be onry. I love excel and have replaced that with the google sheets. I like the iPad. I don’t know why Swype isn’t a thing with iPad. I’m such a lazy speller, I like the ability to half try :blush:

Pretty sure it is a thing: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swype-keyboard/id916365675

Wow! Thanks! I am going to try to stick out typing and continuing to learn to spell. I’ll keep the link for if/when I give up on the English language (which I’m sure happened when I was about 8). You are are a wealth of. Information!

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Beka3695 I am so sorry for your loss.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    12-1 7k easy
    12-2 10.5k slow
    12-3 7k recovery
    12-4 rest
    12-5 7k easy
    12-6 7k recovery
    12-7 rest
    12-8 7k easy
    12-9 10.5k easy
    12-10 7k recovery
    12-11 rest
    12-12 7k intervals
    12-13 7k easy
    12-14 rest
    12-15 7k easy
    12-16 3.5k slow
    12-17 7k slow
    12-18 rest
    12-19 7k easy
    12-20 7k easy
    12-21 rest
    12-22 7k easy
    12-23 10.5k easy
    12-24 7k recovery
    12-25 rest
    12-26 7k intervals

December Total: 140k
    December Goal: 100k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Interval training today -- warmup; followed by 5 sets of 3 minutes hard/1.5 minutes easy; followed by cooldown for the remainder of the 7k. Cloudy, cool, and little wind.

@Beka3695 Sorry about your grandmother.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,074 Member
    Options
    We’re German too, and always did the one gift on the eve. I had no idea that was a cultural tradition. I figured it was a way to shut the kids up.

I suspect that is EXACTLY how the tradition got started :lol:

We are not German, but my family does this too. My parents set up a clue trail for each kid to find their Christmas Eve gift. It usually involved running out to the mailbox, upstairs, out to the car, etc. And someone always had a gift in the dryer. Makes the process take a little longer and burns some kid energy! We do the same for my daughter now and she looks forward to it every year!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - is there a way to edit the title? I couldn't see it but I know in other groups I have been able to.

I was also going to repost the link in the challenge 'announcement list' to add 'January 2019' but forgot to add that and just reposted the link.... it won't even let me edit the post there.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Last night I *really* didn't want to go out for walk. I was tired, and full, and just wanted to take a nap. What finally got me out the door was that I realized it would be a lot easier to walk yesterday night rather than today after work (which I might do anyway). I tempered my goals and decided to just do one lap around the 'hood, but of course...after getting out there...I kept going and finished with two laps for 1.25 hours of walking.

December Progress: 8.25 out of 15 hours
    End of month question?

What awesome swag did you get this year? And how is it adding value to your life?

My wife gave me the trekking poles I wanted, the Black Diamond Distance FLZ poles. Earlier this year at the Zumbro 50 mile I used my old poles for the first time due to crazy *kitten* blizzard/snow/ice conditions and even though I had never trained with them, they helped out immensely. Those had their issues for trail running though, so I wanted to get a new pair. I don't think I'll use them often, but when I do, they'll be a Godsend. I also thing it will be helpful to use these when I get back on the trails, particularly in the winter, as I recover from foot surgery.

My father-in-law gave me the HitchSafe, a lockable compartment which fits in the hitch receiver of my truck. This means I can stash my key securely in there when I'm run trails instead of carrying them with me and being paranoid I'll lose them on the trail.

@Beka3695 very sorry to hear about your loss.
    @martaindale awesome that your daughter came out to run with you!

We were all in on the Santa thing. I loved it when I was a kid and our kids loved it. As the older ones came to find out he wasn't real, they kept it going for the younger kids because they loved being in on it.

The only cookies we made were Swiss bratzelis. They are very similar to the Italian pizzelis. They may even be the same, I don't know, but I'm Swiss so I call them bratzelis.