December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Well, I was moderately optimistic about being able to run today after taking Iggy out for his walk this morning, but noped out after taking him out again on a different block this afternoon. If a 15-pound four-legged animal can't keep his feet under him on that ice, no way do I feel like risking it. Instead I took him downstairs for a few minutes of "sit/stay" training, changed into a workout shirt, and am planning on grabbing a bite and working for another hour or two before lifting weights (hopefully after my husband gets home so he can watch Iggy).

I've gotten so focused on running that the decision not to run kind of dominates everything and puts me in a "rest day" mindset. I think instead I need to plan on what I'll do instead of running, then be aggressive about running when the weather is more welcoming. A part of me really hoped to be that BAMF who barely reduced their running during the winter, but honestly, I don't like worrying about ice and darkness and a freezing butt. I love running and being a runner, but I loved lifting when it was my primary focus last winter, too. I still want to try and run three days a week as often as I can, and I'm not planning on cutting back on the winter races, but I think I will be happier (and more active) if I assume that I can't run until proven otherwise.

Along those lines, I've made an appointment for a free training session at a gym nearby called "The Movement". It's not as close or as inexpensive as the YW but it's close enough to get there in a quick jog or bus ride, and more importantly, is dedicated to strength-training and has a great reputation as woman-friendly. I've been wanting to try it out for a while and decided I might as well be a stereotype and pull the trigger now.
    msarobix wrote: »
    @Elise4270 The digital planner is for personal use. I have been wanting to start a bullet journal to keep me organized at home. I sort of had a sudo bullet journal planner in 2018, but work was extremely busy and I fell off using it early in the year. I got a new job in August, so I think I have a better chance of keeping it in 2019. I have always loved being able to look back over the year to see where I started and where I am now. I also like the creative outlet of having a bullet journal with doodles, stickers and fun papers. I use to dabble in digital scrapbooking so I have lots of elements that I will be able to use in the digital journal/planner.

I started a bullet journal in late September and have really been loving it. Conveniently, I started shortly before my life went unexpectedly bonkers buying a house, so I can really attest to it being a great tool for when the going gets tough. I've always liked looking back on my year in whatever way, so am a big fan of journaling/planners.

@MegaMooseEsq I don't know if it's close enough to you but you might check out Performance Running Gym in St Louis Park. It's dedicated to runners but includes full strength training, cardio and recovery equipment. If I lived closer to it, I'd be a member. I know many people who go there and though I've never been there, I know they have a great reputation.
  • Lazy_Bones_1985
    Lazy_Bones_1985 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    12.2: 4.5 @ 9:10/M (4.5) Easy Run
    12.3: 4.0 @ 9:05/M (8.5) Easy Run
    12.5: 4.5 @ 9:19/M (13) Easy Run
    12.6: SKIPPED Pace Run
    12.7: SKIPPED Long Run

12.9: 4.5 @ 9:13/M (17.5) Easy Run
    12.10: SKIPPED Speedwork
    12.11: SKIPPED Easy Run
    12.13: 4.0 @ 8:33/M (21.5) Pace Run
    12.14: 9.4 @ 9:34/M (30.9) Long Run

12.16: 4.5 @ 9:05/M (35.4) Easy Run
    12.17: SKIPPED Speedwork
    12.18: 4.5 @ 9:08/M (39.9) Easy Run
    12.20: 4.0 @ 8:31/M (43.9) Pace Run
    12.21: 9.4 @ 9:33/M (53.3) Long Run

12.22: 4.5 @ 9:09/M (57.8) Easy Run
    12.24: SKIPPED Speedwork
    12.25: 4.5 @ 9:03/M (62.3) Easy Run
    12.27: 9.5 @ 9:30/M (71.8) Long Run
    12.28: 4.5 @ 8:32/M (76.3) Pace Run

Ran my Pace Run today. Now granted this was a day after my long run instead of being the day before my long run and after a rest day, but I’m really struggling to meet my goal paces the past few weeks. I had been running around 8:15-8:20 per mile, now it’s a stubble to hit 8:35 with a small increase in distance. As my longer slow runs are becoming more enjoyable, my speed runs are struggling. Though I have also skipped 4 speed work sessions due to sore glutes/hips. My next race (15K) is 7 weeks away and while I have exceeded that distance during long runs I can barely maintain my goal pace for half that distance. Any tips other than increasing my goal from 8:35 (80 minute finish time) to 8:45 (83 minutes). Thx.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    E
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Ahhhhh still no runs and wayyyy too much food. I have decided to give up on any running for the rest of the year and just start in the new year. Along with my diet lol. Am on a road trip with my mum and daughters, so eating is alll over the place. I'm getting about 10k steps a day, so that's something. Will be at myums place new years eve, so perfect timing to start a new.

Don’t feel bad. It’s the sign of a fun Xmas! I don’t know about anyone else but this is the only time everything stops and u get to stop
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent

I haven't heard of Affinity, I will have to check that one out. I purchased Notability right after I bought the iPad Pro, under the recommendation of the sales person at Apple. I never really used it though. I recently watch a YouTube video doing a comparison of the two apps and they are both great, but GoodNotes provides a bit more of a creative outlet for me. Or maybe Notability would do the same, but I haven't seen any videos showing how to create the type of planner I want to do.

Here is the link to the video I watched for the comparison.

And I LOVE the Apple Pencil!

Watched it and it reminded me how annoying the notes apps are. They all have like 80-90% of the right feature, but then each of them has one feature that others do not. In Notability it is the audio recording in sync with your notes (great for taking notes in meetings). In another one I have it is the auto conversion to flowcharts (I work in software design, so that is handy). And so on. The differences are in the edges, and the main function of all the major players is essentially the same. *sigh*
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    12/1 - 7mph for 1 hour @ 4% grade
    12/2 - 7 miles
    12/3 - 7mph for 1 hour @ 4% grade
    12/4 - 0 KM
    12/5 - 12 miles
    12/6 - Cookies
    12/7 - 12 miles
    12/8 - Christmas Party
    12/9 - Game Night
    12/10 - 7 miles
    12/11 - 7 miles
    12/12 - Work Dinner
    12/13 - 12 miles
    12/14 - 12 miles
    12/15 - 0 KM
    12/16 - 10.5 miles
    12/17 - 13.1 miles
    12/18 - 0KM
    12/19 - 8 miles
    12/20 - 7.5 rainy miles.
    12/21 - 0 KM
    12/22 - 6.5 miles @ 4% grade
    12/23 - 12 miles
    12/24 - 0 KM
    12/25 - Christmas!
    12/26 - 12 miles
    12/28 - 13.1 miles

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @rheddmobile great pics! Looks like a great place to race.
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I got up early so that I could join a LIVE Peloton treadmill running class at 6:00 am. I am not sure how often I will take the LIVE classes. For the most part it was fine, but there were a few spots in the stream that went a little wonky. It really didn't effect what I was doing, but it was somewhat annoying.

It was a short and easy 2.5 mile run, because it wasn't even a running day for me, it was supposed to be a walk day.

I am finding it EXTREMELY hard to just walk now that I am getting back to running, if I can even call it that, it is way more like a light jog. I am planning on adding in some speed work to hopefully get faster. However even when I was running before my typical pace was only about 5.0 - 5.5 mph, which is a jog for most people.

I am currently jogging at just about my walk pace of 3.5-4.0 mph. Does anyone have any suggestions on what pace I should use for speed work. I am thinking about a pace of 6.0 mph and walking between running segments. Would this pace be okay? My thought is to follow a typical couch to 5k/10k program for the interval work, or is there a better way to increase my speed?

@MegaMooseEsq is your bullet journal on paper or digital? I am looking forward to using mine in 2019. I have always be a planner and am typically well organized, but last year was a complete bust. For the first 7 months of the year I was working between 60-80 hours a week, and at one point I was working 7 days a week. Some days I work from the time I got up to the time I went to bed. Thank goodness I finally decided I didn't want that job any more.

@PastorVincent, I completely agree about the notes apps all missing one or two features that the others have. Hopefully the developers will take notice and add some of the features that their competition have.
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent, you definitely got a good laugh out of me this morning.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent, you definitely got a good laugh out of me this morning.

Yay!