WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    edited December 2018
    KJ love the playhouse, wrapped pictures, advent calendar, but especially the beautiful creche. :heart:
    Heather "change of plans" now that's why you moved to Hove. What a lovely alternative to being stuck in ruts! Ditto Beth's comment about your relaxed and young pic. Mulled wine and mince pies, YUM! "played prisons"?
    Okie an ounce of bubbly at each of 27 stops? Even with just a sip/taste, it would be a "charity stagger" for me... ;)
    Lanette May I ride along with you to KJ's? Hoping for good shoulder and DDS appointments and that the Ortho clinic staffs up soon.
    Katla so glad you were recovered enough to ride Arrow, and that he behaved... :devil: " sips of my parents' coffee--and anything else they might drink" Same here. Had thimbleful of Mama's wine or a dribble of Papa's beer in a juice glass. One day Mama was making herself a highball, so I asked for a sip. She poured some bourbon in a teaspon and gave it to me. UGGGHHH!!!! YUCK. :laugh: Explains why I've never been much of a hard liquor drinker. Wise Mama.
    Allie when we got our first (used) Maytags, I raised fist to air and swore "as God is my witness I will never go to the laundromat again!!!" and kept that vow except for when giant machines needed to wash sleeping bags.
    Karen in BC Eeeeeeee! So exciting! Fingers Xd.
    Rebecca good for you keeping at the gym despite feeling blue. Well done. Cursing like a sailor while making divinity, your Mom sounds like my Mama! Had to google hello dolly cookies... ah, they're magic cookie bars! Very rich, but disappear quickly at potlucks. ;)
    Barbie that is a very quick DDS re-schedule. You must be one of their VIP patients.
    Kate all imported=no refineries? North Sea?
    Felicia "only a weapon when it is misused" You've done well bringing up your children! Say hello to my birthplace for me. I miss it the way it once was... ;)
    Willow please don't stress over keeping up with all the threads. Invest your energy in self-care.
    Janet in eMO out in the cold and wind (brrrr) I hate being chilled to the bone. Sometimes the only fix is a soak in the hot tub, and even then it seems to take my fingers forever to warm.
    Yvonne so glad you're back. I'm sure checking here will help melt that block. Kicking and screaming burn calories too!
    pip "i'lll make it up when I'm able to " That's the way I feel about all the prescribed acts of kindness. Think it was Barbie who pointed me to not limiting myself to just one specific act per day but to look for opportunities (while looking for chances to be active too. Thanks Barbie!) Love love LOVE your unique ornaments!
    Tracey Congratulations on your successful sale! Hope that heater vent is closed off. . .
    NYKaren "get up the next day and pretend again" Brilliant!
    Lisa Wrong knee? "Gah" indeed. Good thing you know to be your own advocate and double check everything. You have such a good way with words, I know you can find the way to tell your own truth in a way the CEO can accept and benefit from.
    Machka Love the cat cartoon, reminds me of cats I've had. "wants to make life easier for us" but soooo unclear on the concept!
    Welcome Sidney, debragookings, welcome back AEPHubinc2015. Please let us know what to call you and generally where you are.

Coffee, tea and sugar. LOVE the way coffee smells (ditto Lisa) but too bitter without sugar at least, milk too is better. Best is cappuccino with cinnamon and raw sugar. Drank milky tea as a child, but now prefer it black and honeyed. Running low on honey this month, substituted organic sugar. Was surprised to achieve desired sweetness for a third of honey's calories. Have cut back from 6 cups/day to 3 or sometimes two, not so much for the caffeine as the sugar ;)

Time to prep some raw veggies for light lunch as I'm planning pizza and real-not-AF beer tonight before the Christmas Chorale.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 3/3, 60 g protein 3/3, rx/vits 3/3, meditate 3/3, knee exercises 3/3, SWSY UP 0/8, SWSY LOW 0/8, core 0/8, play with Tumble 2/3, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 3/3.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Lisa - Exit Interview, I have never been asked to do an Exit Interview, but the previous to last employer I had the VP asked me why I was leaving. I had been there for 12 years. I told him it was all financial which was the truth, but there was so much more I could have said. Bullying management, overworking employees for the sake of profit by not replacing staff as they quit. At one point I was doing two full time positions with no increase in pay. I didn't share all the negative as it is a small industry here in the city and I didn't want to ruin my reputation. It is a conundrum for sure.

Machka - I think they expect an awful lot of you and your husband.

Katla and Rebecca - Not seeing your children and grandchildren at the holidays must be awful. We left for Alberta on Christmas night 1997. My husband had been here since September so of course, the girls and I were missing him. We split our Christmas up that day between my parents and my husband's parents. It was our last Christmas at home. I have never regretted moving away because I always believed it was the best thing for our family, but I have always felt guilty for not being home at Christmas again. As a parent of adults and a Grandparent I feel even more guilty as it surely hurt both sets of parents the costs of flying a family of four were and are astronomical in Canada so it's never been an option for us. I always wished that our parents would have come here but they never once offered.

I am biding my time getting the week in here at the office. I have packed up my office, bought some supplies for the mobile guys that will be left so far. I will take my car to the local car wash on Thursday evening to vacuum and clean it out well. I don't know if anyone is coming to get the keys from me or if I'll just leave them here. They can't seem to give me a straight answer on that.

Off to colour some ornaments, have a great day everyone!
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Today is National Sock Day!

"National Sock Day on December 4 recognizes the rarest of all lasting unities, the marriage of matched socks. When they manage, wash after wash, dry after to dry to keep finding each other through all the chaos, a celebration is certainly in order!"

drkatiebug - Oh, you are your neighbor's hero! They'd have gotten a nasty surprise in the utility bill if that leak hadn't been fixed!

Tracey - Congratulations on such a successful craft sale. That's a big increase.

Willow - I've run into several smartphone apps lately where you had to page back through the calendar ONE WEEK AT A TIME. Obviously the developers are a fraction of my age, or they'd have noticed that for some of us that is an unreasonable burden! I just hit the back key until I get tired of it then lie about my age.

Sue - Even without the emotional component, cancer treatment is exhausting for all involved. And so many men are bad patients, too. Hope your husband's side effects will be manageable and the results positive.

Karen - Thanks for your kind words! You're right, at the moment pretending is the best I can do. I know that if I can pretend long enough, the benefits will start to catch up with me.

Allie - Hope you feel better soon!

Lisa - Wish I could give you a big old pair of scissors to cut through all the red tape. Pets to Egg.

Machka - Thank you for Simon's Cat video. I just love those - they are all so charming. They never get old!

Heather - Your new town sounds absolutely charming.

Deb - Way to go! I don't think I could run a mile. Well, at this point my bad knee wouldn't allow running anyway, but even without that I'm not fit enough. I admire you for setting a goal and then accomplishing it!

Confession time: In a brief flash of motivation a couple of months ago, I joined a gym and paid for a couple of sessions with a personal trainer. I'm ashamed to say I haven't been back since. They have a yoga class, though, and I thinking of joining that. Having a scheduled commitment should help me get to the gym, and there's no reason I can't do a workout before or after yoga. It would probably help to continue with the personal trainer since the one I had just sort of evaluated me and showed me how to do some stuff. As helpful as it would be to have someone meet me at the gym and tell me what to do, though, I'm not ready to make that kind of financial commitment right now.

Here's hoping all your socks stay together!

-Yvonne in TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,324 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Oooooh Allie! Is there another location in your condo that a washer and dryer could go? One already wired/plumbed for it? Also, don't let anyone talk you into replacing a water heater that is still working! Unless you are getting a great deduction or sale price for buying it (or bundle all three appliances and get a big chunk of money off), I would wait until it quits before replacing it. Water heaters usually start at 6K! "if it ain't broke..." Hugs to you! KJ

Allie - don't forget the dryer vent too. When they built our house, they didn't include a drain for the washer, put in a laundry sink instead so the outgoing hose just drains into that sink, attached by a plastic tie. Splish splash.

And the dryer vent hose runs under the house, probably twenty feet or more. Lots of lint builds up even though I clean the lint screen each time. They could have run it about six feet out the other side of the house. :s And this is a regular "laundry room" in a house built only 20 years ago. We had to have that hose replaced a couple years ago since it was getting plugged.

Guess we should be thankful it was wired for 220. :D

I'm kind of surprised the salesman and Lowe's didn't go over all of this with you; he probably thought you were replacing existing units.

Good luck - if you can make it work, it will be terrific! Our next place will have a stacked unit, for sure.

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    took a bit of a nap
    so not the closing on my condo I own it... closing on my dads house finally...
    Kelly ~ wont be 6,000 for water heater . but I dont want to change a 14 yr old water heater rusting and busting on me with a new stackable washer and dryer right next to it..... if I am going to live here for the rest of my years I might as well put the money I need to into what will update it , even if I have to sell it God Forbid the upgrades only help..
    so I have to take the good with the bad..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    edited December 2018
    Alle I agree you need to rethink where to put washer and dryer. Ask others in your complex where they put washer and dryers into their units and how they did it. I know my sister in law had a stacked washer and dryer in her condo and it was close to the kitchen. You will need an electrician to get the 220V. Venting it correctly will keep it from getting too much humidity and dryer lint from getting into your unit Perhaps now is the time to price it out. Why would they want you to replace your hot water heater? We did wait too long to replace ours we were getting bits of rust into our plumbing, but ours was over 20 years old. What signs says it needs to be replaced. It will be enough of an expense to put in the washer and dryer. I wash almost all our clothes with cold water no need for hot water. Good luck! I would go back to Lowe's and explain your problem and see if they have and solutions for you.
    :heart: Margaret
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    ydailey wrote: »
    Today is National Sock Day!

"National Sock Day on December 4 recognizes the rarest of all lasting unities, the marriage of matched socks. When they manage, wash after wash, dry after to dry to keep finding each other through all the chaos, a celebration is certainly in order!"

Deb - Way to go! I don't think I could run a mile. Well, at this point my bad knee wouldn't allow running anyway, but even without that I'm not fit enough. I admire you for setting a goal and then accomplishing it!

Thank you! You'd be surprised - I bet you could. I have had 27 surgeries due to an accident and have an arthritic knee. I thought I would never run again. As I began to lose weight, move more, gain flexibility through yoga and walk, I realized my body was more capable than I was giving it credit for. I did a program called Fat to First Mile - think couch to 5k but for super beginners with the end goal running a full mile. I watched videos to learn about proper running mechanics and realized my form is what caused my knee and hip pain. Once I corrected my form, I just followed the program and ran slow. Soooo slow. I ran slower than I walk at first. Today, I ran 1.5 miles without stopping.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Alison: Carol’s questions about home ownership make sense to me. Is the place now yours, or are you still waiting to finalize the purchase? :huh: I’ve noticed that others picked up on washer/dryer placement. Be sure to have it checked out well enough before you commit to the expense. You need to have adequate electricity and plumbing in place for them to operate. :flowerforyou:

Heather: It is delightful hearing about your settling in efforts and the wonderful opportunities for culture and adventure in your new home city. :star:

Debralgoogins: Welcome to a great group. Tell us a bit about yourself. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: I love sweetened coffee, too, but I use SweetDrops stevia instead of sugar. It isn’t as sweet as real sugar, but has no calories and no brain numbing chemicals, either. It is a safe choice from my pov. We buy it at Fred Meyer in the nutrition section. :heart:

Tracy: Your experiences with separation from family seems very much like ours. It can be emotional at times and I have to work hard to avoid having a personal pity-party. :ohwell: Good luck to you. :smiley:

Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • DelSydney
    DelSydney Posts: 11 Member
    Good morning all - I have just come back to MFP this week and looking for some interesting support groups and saw women ages 50+.I hope it is ok for me to join in - I have only just had a quick scan on some of your posts and you seem to be all in sync and enjoying your friendships. I will read back on the past few days later on when I can so I get a better idea of who people are.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    :star:
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Well yes ladies thanks for all the helpful suggestions...there us only the closet where water heater is to put washer and dryer...I'm just worried if I don't replace water heater now and it does bust ,it will be a pain to put new water heater in after..I have someone from home advisors coming Thursday to check and give me a quote..and I might have to postpone having the washer and dryer put in until after work is done...

Took some nyquil and am going to try and get some sleep still feeling punk
  • mprocyszyn
    mprocyszyn Posts: 56 Member
    Well yes ladies thanks for all the helpful suggestions...there us only the closet where water heater is to put washer and dryer...I'm just worried if I don't replace water heater now and it does bust ,it will be a pain to put new water heater in after..I have someone from home advisors coming Thursday to check and give me a quote..and I might have to postpone having the washer and dryer put in until after work is done...

Took some nyquil and am going to try and get some sleep still feeling punk

I hope you feel better soon. We also live in condo but each unit has a designated utility room which houses the water heater, washer and dryer with vent to outside has the hydro box and the drain. This room is the same location for all 8 floors of condos in our building on our side. It's the same for the other sides of the building. I am surprized there is no drain in your area...surely the previous owners had washer/dryer. Your right about replacing the heater after a while apparently the coils inside start to go. We moved into our condo 5 yrs ago this Dec. and apparently 3 heaters went on the blink when we just moved in...people had not changed them to close to 25 yrs...we quickly upgraded ours after hearing that. So good luck with that. Mary from Ontario Canada
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    We replaced one of our water heaters as it was having problems and rusting at the bottom. As it was in the attic, we were preemptive with it. It was 19 years old. The other one is the same age but in an inside closet. It looks perfect and works like a charm so need to replace it.

Okie
  • Katla49
    Snowflake: You are right. Being so far away from our kids and grandkids is tough. I’m trying to avoid getting weepy. So far we are both doing okay. We’ve made plans with our niece who lives nearby and her son. That helps quite a bit. :star:

Yvonne: If you decide to try the yoga classes at your gym, give them a bit of time. I would recommend that you go to a yoga class a couple of times a week for the first couple of weeks. There may be more than one teacher at your gym, and you may like one better than another. By then you’ll know whether it is something that you will enjoy. :heart:

DH is cooking dinner tonight. I’ve been watching Outlander on TV. I have read every book, from the first book to the most recent one published. I love the books & I’m pleasantly surprised and pleased with the TV production.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 9.52min, 147mhr, 9.7amph, 1.5mi= 119c
    STAIRCLIMBER- 30min, 122ahr, 145mhr, 2242steps, 141floors, lvl8= 237c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.24min, 142mhr, 13.8amph, 1.4mi= 81c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.14min, 9.56min mi, 146mhr, .5mi= 74c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- 4.32min, 9.16min mi, 151mhr, .4mi= 57c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 22.32min,153mhr, 6.9amph, 2.5mi= 231c

total cal 799