Intermittent Feasting

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    7y2uv94cbxwl.jpg
    Sticky toffee pudding.. with custard, ice cream and blueberries.
    (Sorry abt the bad photography)

Oh, so delicious! Substitute cherries for the blueberries and I don't think I could stop eating this!

Probably belongs in the unpopular opinions, but one of all time favorite ways to top something with fruit is canned cherry pie filling. In fact, on target with this thread another thing I am unlikely to turn down is cherry pie that is still warm from being baked (reheating is just not the same) with vanilla ice cream melting on top of it.

I think it's pretty good, but most brands need more cherries vs. red goo, IMO. Is there a brand that you favor? (I know how to make my own with frozen cherries, cornstarch and sweetener of choice, if suitably inspired, which is easy, so that's always an option.)

Comstock is good but you have to make sure you are getting the right one; they have lite and no sugar in addition to the regular. Musselman's is good. Like most things, store brands are hit and miss. You have to keep in mind I started on the topic of cherry pie filling with my unpopular opinion of liking canned cherry pie filling; I am not as crazy about some of the higher end ones, especially not the sour cherry ones. I like red goo, but I do like a lot of cherries in it. One of my favorite things to have it on is Jello No Bake Cheesecake, so you may find my tastes questionable...

Thanks - I'll check out the Comstock!

Which reminds me that I left cheesecake off my several lists here. I favor an unusual type that has a very light texture and a crumb almost like ultra-rich cake. Back in the day, a place around here (Martha's German Bakery) introduced me to the concept, but Martha discontinued it because people wanted the heavier New York sort of thing. OK, but Not The Same. I do have a recipe, not Martha's, but same type.

It's true that I don't care for Jello No Bake Cheesecake, but it's not a brow-height thing; I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to food - no religion. I like some things most people would call junk, and some other things that people would think of as icky health food. I like what I like, you like what you like, if those overlap we can both grab a spoon and dive in; if they don't overlap, someone who loves my hates can have my share, and I'll swap for something I love that they don't. Everybody happy! :drinker:

I like good nutrition for me (as an overall thing), and urge it on others. That's the extent of my prescriptive beliefs.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    7y2uv94cbxwl.jpg

Oh, so delicious! Substitute cherries for the blueberries and I don't think I could stop eating this!

Probably belongs in the unpopular opinions, but one of all time favorite ways to top something with fruit is canned cherry pie filling. In fact, on target with this thread another thing I am unlikely to turn down is cherry pie that is still warm from being baked (reheating is just not the same) with vanilla ice cream melting on top of it.

I think it's pretty good, but most brands need more cherries vs. red goo, IMO. Is there a brand that you favor? (I know how to make my own with frozen cherries, cornstarch and sweetener of choice, if suitably inspired, which is easy, so that's always an option.)

Comstock is good but you have to make sure you are getting the right one; they have lite and no sugar in addition to the regular. Musselman's is good. Like most things, store brands are hit and miss. You have to keep in mind I started on the topic of cherry pie filling with my unpopular opinion of liking canned cherry pie filling; I am not as crazy about some of the higher end ones, especially not the sour cherry ones. I like red goo, but I do like a lot of cherries in it. One of my favorite things to have it on is Jello No Bake Cheesecake, so you may find my tastes questionable...

Which reminds me that I left cheesecake off my several lists here. I favor an unusual type that has a very light texture and a crumb almost like ultra-rich cake. Back in the day, a place around here (Martha's German Bakery) introduced me to the concept, but Martha discontinued it because people wanted the heavier New York sort of thing. OK, but Not The Same. I do have a recipe, not Martha's, but same type.

It's true that I don't care for Jello No Bake Cheesecake, but it's not a brow-height thing; I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to food - no religion. I like some things most people would call junk, and some other things that people would think of as icky health food. I like what I like, you like what you like, if those overlap we can both grab a spoon and dive in; if they don't overlap, someone who loves my hates can have my share, and I'll swap for something I love that they don't. Everybody happy! :drinker:

I like good nutrition for me (as an overall thing), and urge it on others. That's the extent of my prescriptive beliefs.

The cheesecake you're describing sounds like our family recipe for cheesecake. It's delicious. I've never been able to quite describe it before.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    7y2uv94cbxwl.jpg

The cheesecake you're describing sounds like our family recipe for cheesecake. It's delicious. I've never been able to quite describe it before.

That does sound interesting. I don't hate standard cheesecake but it isn't something that makes this list for me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    7y2uv94cbxwl.jpg

That does sound interesting. I don't hate standard cheesecake but it isn't something that makes this list for me.

I'd be interested to compare recipes with Ann. One difference I know is that the family recipe has a good deal of milk in it in addition to the eggs and cream cheese, etc. Most New York style cheesecakes are just cream cheese (maybe sour cream), eggs, sugar, etc.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Sorry to interrupt but I should have mentioned this earlier, I found that any recipe that has alcohol in it can be replaced with orange juice. It's on that sticky toffee pudding recipe. It works good.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Sorry to interrupt but I should have mentioned this earlier, I found that any recipe that has alcohol in it can be replaced with orange juice. It's on that sticky toffee pudding recipe. It works good.

There is no interrupting, especially in threads like this! :lol: Thanks for the tip.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    7y2uv94cbxwl.jpg

I'd be interested to compare recipes with Ann. One difference I know is that the family recipe has a good deal of milk in it in addition to the eggs and cream cheese, etc. Most New York style cheesecakes are just cream cheese (maybe sour cream), eggs, sugar, etc.

I'm not sure my old-school recipe repository is up to answering that question. I kind of think it's this one, the difference being the flour & folding in the egg whites, but I'm not 100% sure this is the right recipe. Sorry the back of the card came out first, and that the image is giant; I'm not that skilled with my current photo edit app.

ehrslyco7ylb.jpg
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    That looks like an interesting recipe, but it's not like ours.

Ours (for a 9 x 13 pan) has the same amount of cream cheese, but only 5 eggs, 3 tbsp flour, and 4 1/2 cups of milk plus sugar, vanilla, and lemon.
  • ElC_76
    edited December 2018
    mztirjtnnrzi.jpg

This is another delectable pudding I'm making now. We are in summer in Aussie so it suits our weather. But if its winter where u are it may not go well. :| It's still nice to remember it for a warmer day. .
    Easy and its not like normal trifles that have alcohol or have soggy cake . It stays nice and fresh.
  • CarvedTones
    mztirjtnnrzi.jpg

This is another delectable pudding I'm making now. We are in summer in Aussie so it suits our weather. But if its winter where u are it may not go well. :| It's still nice to remember it for a warmer day. .
    Easy and its not like normal trifles that have alcohol or have soggy cake . It stays nice and fresh.

We have heat in the house, so cool treats are still welcome. :smiley:

I especially appreciate a recipe without alcohol (even if it cooks out, on principle I won't have it) and the lack of sogginess is definitely a bonus.

Thanks!
  • ElC_76
    edited December 2018
    mztirjtnnrzi.jpg

We have heat in the house, so cool treats are still welcome. :smiley:

I especially appreciate a recipe without alcohol (even if it cooks out, on principle I won't have it) and the lack of sogginess is definitely a bonus.

Thanks!

No problem!, I thought you might appricate the non alcohol bit :);)
    I'm glad it still suit u whatever the weather.. that's cool!!
    One thing I hope, that is u can read it ok. I can always type it out or post a better pic if that helps
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited December 2018
    My mother used to make a "trifle", and using that term to describe it would probably send most Brits into revolt at the thought of this.

Even describing it, it sounds like an unholy concoction from some women's magazine from the 70's, but goodness, it was so gloriously junky and good.

Bought lady fingers or cut up bought pound cake, layered with bought frozen strawberries in syrup, Jello vanilla instant pudding, and Cool Whip.

I hate Jello pudding. I hate Cool Whip. I hate frozen strawberries in syrup. But in this? I can't explain how the sum of all those (to me) gross parts came together into something magical.
  • CarvedTones
    Some things work as ingredients much better than alone. Marshmallows? I have had one vegan kind that were good by themselves; most are somewhere between meh and disgusting. But there are a number of things with marshmallow in them that I like.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,632 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I'd go straight down to the local British shop and get a curry chicken pasty, eat it on the spot, then get a fruitcake to take home. oh, and don't forget a Bakewell tart.
    Or - there's a restaurant that has been serving pumpkin bread pudding with a side of cinnamon ice cream.

Well, we went to that shop today and I did get a chicken curry pie, along with a small fruitcake and a lot of other stuff (kippers, blood sausage, drinking chocolate, back bacon, Patak's curry sauce, prawn-flavored crisps, ginger wine). No Bakewell tart but my husband picked out a bag of jelly babies. The crisps tasted like cocktail sauce. Odd flavor for crisps, I thought. We'll wait until Christmas to eat the fruitcake.
  • CarvedTones
    I love shrimp, but not sure I would go for the prawn-flavored crisps. I never hear of ginger wine; I had to give up drinking, but have always liked ginger in various things.
  • ElC_76
    edited December 2018
    Serious chocolate birthday cake. It's my oldest's birthday today and I had cake. It was made with Ghiardelli's cake mix. So good. Oh and some Lindor balls. I will be making up for this soon.

Happy oldest birthday!!.. ;D B) its my daughter's too today (25th)
    I've made her a triple chocolate and strawberry cheesecake.
    Yumm those Lindor ball are totally unresistable..
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,632 Member
    That so-called "ginger wine" is just a strong ginger drink, no alcohol. I've been adding a small volume to a glass of sparkling water. And there was no prawn or prawn flavor in the crisps - the flavor was the cocktail sauce instead.