12346»

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    This might touch someone's fancy... ;):p

q5ev5rqzqakm.jpg

Can you provide some details on what this is?

More calories than there are in the world...

True!..

Suggestion... substitute for lower calorie ingredients to suit your needs

Same with other recipes I use.

This thread is more about "I choose to eat this every now and then because it's worth it" than trying to come up with lower calorie alternatives.

I don't think this one falls into that categories for me. Hazelnuts are in the "take it or leave it" category for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member

q5ev5rqzqakm.jpg

True!..

There are certain kinds of recipes where that strategy results in something that may look similar, but is really not very worth eating (IMO: some people may be more easily persuaded by appearance than others, or simply have different tastes**, I dunno).

So, in this case we're possibly going to do subs like these:

Mascarpone => Nonfat whipped "cream cheese" substitute
    Powdered sugar => Artificial sweetener
    Cream => Nonfat/reduced cal Coolwhip
    Vanilla bean => Vanilla bean, if you want to use one this way
    Nutella => Defatted hazelnut flour, if that's a thing, otherwise sub defatted almond or peanut flour; plus cocoa powder; plus some kind of liquid and emulsifier/gum-ifier (carrageenan? guar gum?)
    Sugar => Artificial sweetener
    Butter => Cooking spray
    Hazelnuts => I dunno, some kind of unsweetened crunchy cereal spheres rolled in defatted nut flour?
    Bananas => Dare we use actual bananas?
    Ferrero-Rocher balls => I haven't even the faintest *baby-feline* idea, because I'll be over in the corner alternately sucking my thumb and eating actual F-R balls, just to comfort myself after thinking about this.

Just no. There are some wonderful, delicious, less calorie-dense, possibly even nutrition-dense desserts in the world. Eat those, don't mess with all of the rich ones. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

** I once gave my cousin a glass of water with red food coloring mixed in, and asked him what flavor it was. He said: "Cherry. No, maybe raspberry."
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited January 2019

q5ev5rqzqakm.jpg

True!..

This thread is more about "I choose to eat this every now and then because it's worth it" than trying to come up with lower calorie alternatives.

I don't think this one falls into that categories for me. Hazelnuts are in the "take it or leave it" category for me.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

q5ev5rqzqakm.jpg

True!..

There are certain kinds of recipes where that strategy results in something that may look similar, but is really not very worth eating (IMO: some people may be more easily persuaded by appearance than others, or simply have different tastes**, I dunno).

So, in this case we're possibly going to do subs like these:

Mascarpone => Nonfat whipped "cream cheese" substitute
    Powdered sugar => Artificial sweetener
    Cream => Nonfat/reduced cal Coolwhip
    Vanilla bean => Vanilla bean, if you want to use one this way
    Nutella => Defatted hazelnut flour, if that's a thing, otherwise sub defatted almond or peanut flour; plus cocoa powder; plus some kind of liquid and emulsifier/gum-ifier (carrageenan? guar gum?)
    Sugar => Artificial sweetener
    Butter => Cooking spray
    Hazelnuts => I dunno, some kind of unsweetened crunchy cereal spheres rolled in defatted nut flour?
    Bananas => Dare we use actual bananas?
    Ferrero-Rocher balls => I haven't even the faintest *baby-feline* idea, because I'll be over in the corner alternately sucking my thumb and eating actual F-R balls, just to comfort myself after thinking about this.

Just no. There are some wonderful, delicious, less calorie-dense, possibly even nutrition-dense desserts in the world. Eat those, don't mess with all of the rich ones. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

** I once gave my cousin a glass of water with red food coloring mixed in, and asked him what flavor it was. He said: "Cherry. No, maybe raspberry."

Np, sorry
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    What abt this. This would probably b my alternative.. as u say it's your preference.. everyone is entitled to their own ;)

eiv1vcekkkul.jpg

(... *holding my breath* ...*drum roll*... ).. lol
  • CarvedTones
    I love butter pecan ice cream. No one else at my house does. So I figured out a simple solution. I got a bag of praline pecans, cut them up with the chopper and put them back in the bag. This, along with a little caramel syrup, stirred into good vanilla ice cream is really good; better than some brands of butter pecan. I also tried sprinkling and pouring the same ingredients over a slice of apple pie. OMG! I can't keep this around too often, but definitely better than buying a half gallon of butter pecan that no one else touches.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

q5ev5rqzqakm.jpg

True!..

Nutella straight out of the jar works just fine for me :laugh:
  • CarvedTones
    edited January 2019
    They're here...

jljdcx2fq7uo.jpg

Though one of my unpopular opinions is that Keebler Grasshoppers are as good or better. The Girl Scout cookies are sold in a relatively short period of time each year but made ahead of time in very large batches under stress to produce as many as they can as quickly as they can. Grasshoppers are also mass produced, but in smaller batches throughout the year to meet a smaller but steadier demand. They are very similar but I have noticed more variance in quality with Thin Mints. The ones I just got are pretty good; I took a small sample in the name of science just to be sure.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    They're here...

jljdcx2fq7uo.jpg

Though one of my unpopular opinions is that Keebler Grasshoppers are as good or better. The Girl Scout cookies are sold in a relatively short period of time each year but made ahead of time in very large batches under stress to produce as many as they can as quickly as they can. Grasshoppers are also mass produced, but in smaller batches throughout the year to meet a smaller but steadier demand. They are very similar but I have noticed more variance in quality with Thin Mints. The ones I just got are pretty good; I took a small sample in the name of science just to be sure.

Whatever you do....don’t crush them up and sprinkle them on vanilla ice cream...

I agree the quality is not always the best, but I still order them because I used to be a Girl Scout and they’re so damn cute.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I ordered two boxes of Samoas (the best kind of GSC) and one box of Thin Mints. Thin Mints for hubby, one Samoa for me, one for the kid. Once they're gone, they're gone.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    They're here...

jljdcx2fq7uo.jpg

One of the reasons they're similar is probably because one of the companies that makes the girl scout cookies is owned by Keebler. :)
  • CarvedTones
    edited January 2019
    They're here...

jljdcx2fq7uo.jpg

Whatever you do....don’t crush them up and sprinkle them on vanilla ice cream...

I agree the quality is not always the best, but I still order them because I used to be a Girl Scout and they’re so damn cute.

Yeah, a really young one came to the door with parents who had to remind her what to say and hand her boxes (they had early stock of thin mints).

Other people at my house eat mint chocolate chip, so we can get that actual flavor and I don't have to worry about having a whole carton that no one else eats. I really shouldn't worry so much. I am pretty good at rationing frozen yogurt that is rarely eaten by anyone else. And I get frozen yogurt with actual sugar in it, so I do need to wath serving size and frequency.