Is this guy just super friendly or is he asking me out?

Options
breefoshee
breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
Okay so... humor me for a little while...This is "reading into things" and "overthinking at it's finest and ultimately, only time will tell what this guy is thinking. But what else do you have to do today?

About 5 Months ago I meet... let's call him Pete. At the time, I had just moved home and was seeing someone... so Pete and I were really just instant friends. We like all the same shows, my really good friend is married to his really good friend, and he was just an easy conversation. If there was a get together at our friend's house, we would both go and end up being the last ones to leave.

I had zero romantic interest on my end and really just thought he was a cool guy. He liked another girl and so we all would just talk about our prospective relationships, what we should do, and give each other advice. So... no real reason to think that he was interested.... and I wasn't either.

So couple months after we met, I stopped seeing the other guy and Pete started messaging me. No big deal at first.... just a few messages a week about a show I had recommended or something random. He started inviting me to different social events he was attending-- but it was vague. It wasn't like "I want you as my date to such and such place"... more like "I'm going to this super fun event and you, also, should attend!"

We continued seeing each other weekly at our mutual friends house. I told him that I had a friend from China and he happened to be going there... so he asked if we could all meet up for coffee so he could ask her some questions.

He started calling me to arrange this meeting. So we went and it was great... just him and I with her and her husband. Then after meeting for coffee he called to discuss how it went... but each time our conversation lasted a little longer.. 1-2 hours. Late at night. So.. fine... I mean... I talk to my girl friends for hours all the time. It doesn't have to mean anything. AND-- he sometimes calls me "dude" which to me says "friendzone!"

Still, he invites me to thing after thing-- I've only gone to 2 because BIG groups of people I don't know are overwhelming to me and I don't want to smoother him the whole time because he would be the only person I know.

But I can't tell if this is all just him being super friendly or if he is hitting on me or hoping for this to go somewhere!

So the last thing: about 2 weeks ago he left for China. The day before he left, he asked if I would watch his plants for him. So... of course, I did... I went over to his house to get the plants and he ends up asking me to look at all these paintings he painted. We end up hanging out for a good 2 hours, chatting about pretty deep things. I take the plants and he goes to China.

He came back on Sunday and I still have his plants. So we texted a little when he first got back then he calls last night to ask if I wanted to go to a social event with him. Again, I say "no" because I can't tell if it's supposed to be a date or if it's a "come and meet the whole world" type of thing... which just isn't my picnic.

Then he says "Oh um... okay." and sounds kind of dissappointed... then he says "Well, let's hang out this weekend." But because I'm the most awkward person alive... I.... pause... because I don't want to say "yes" and it just be another big social event. And in the middle of my pause, he says " I mean.. you don't have to.. it's okay. " Then I just ramble on about my weekend plans and the fact that I have nothing going on... and sure I'd like to hang out. So he says "Okay cool! I'll ask around and see what everyone is doing."

So. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and I haven't been very successful at the whole "guys as best friends" thing. But would you be reading into this? What do you think? Just a friend or wanting more? I actually can't say whether or not I even like him as more than a friend... I'm just trying to gauge the situation so that I know what my actions should be. UGH helpppp, myfitnesspall!

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    breefoshee wrote: »
    Okay so... humor me for a little while...This is "reading into things" and "overthinking at it's finest and ultimately, only time will tell what this guy is thinking. But what else do you have to do today?

About 5 Months ago I meet... let's call him Pete. At the time, I had just moved home and was seeing someone... so Pete and I were really just instant friends. We like all the same shows, my really good friend is married to his really good friend, and he was just an easy conversation. If there was a get together at our friend's house, we would both go and end up being the last ones to leave.

I had zero romantic interest on my end and really just thought he was a cool guy. He liked another girl and so we all would just talk about our prospective relationships, what we should do, and give each other advice. So... no real reason to think that he was interested.... and I wasn't either.

So couple months after we met, I stopped seeing the other guy and Pete started messaging me. No big deal at first.... just a few messages a week about a show I had recommended or something random. He started inviting me to different social events he was attending-- but it was vague. It wasn't like "I want you as my date to such and such place"... more like "I'm going to this super fun event and you, also, should attend!"

We continued seeing each other weekly at our mutual friends house. I told him that I had a friend from China and he happened to be going there... so he asked if we could all meet up for coffee so he could ask her some questions.

He started calling me to arrange this meeting. So we went and it was great... just him and I with her and her husband. Then after meeting for coffee he called to discuss how it went... but each time our conversation lasted a little longer.. 1-2 hours. Late at night. So.. fine... I mean... I talk to my girl friends for hours all the time. It doesn't have to mean anything. AND-- he sometimes calls me "dude" which to me says "friendzone!"

Still, he invites me to thing after thing-- I've only gone to 2 because BIG groups of people I don't know are overwhelming to me and I don't want to smoother him the whole time because he would be the only person I know.

But I can't tell if this is all just him being super friendly or if he is hitting on me or hoping for this to go somewhere!

So the last thing: about 2 weeks ago he left for China. The day before he left, he asked if I would watch his plants for him. So... of course, I did... I went over to his house to get the plants and he ends up asking me to look at all these paintings he painted. We end up hanging out for a good 2 hours, chatting about pretty deep things. I take the plants and he goes to China.

He came back on Sunday and I still have his plants. So we texted a little when he first got back then he calls last night to ask if I wanted to go to a social event with him. Again, I say "no" because I can't tell if it's supposed to be a date or if it's a "come and meet the whole world" type of thing... which just isn't my picnic.

Then he says "Oh um... okay." and sounds kind of dissappointed... then he says "Well, let's hang out this weekend." But because I'm the most awkward person alive... I.... pause... because I don't want to say "yes" and it just be another big social event. And in the middle of my pause, he says " I mean.. you don't have to.. it's okay. " Then I just ramble on about my weekend plans and the fact that I have nothing going on... and sure I'd like to hang out. So he says "Okay cool! I'll ask around and see what everyone is doing."

So. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and I haven't been very successful at the whole "guys as best friends" thing. But would you be reading into this? What do you think? Just a friend or wanting more? I actually can't say whether or not I even like him as more than a friend... I'm just trying to gauge the situation so that I know what my actions should be. UGH helpppp, myfitnesspall!

It's hard to tell with only this info. You could ask him directly? Having a good friend is never a bad thing, and that way you don't always have to question his motives.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    IMO he is interested, just afraid if he makes it official you will shoot him down and he doesn't want to lose what he already has with you.
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    I don't like not knowing what someone else is expecting from/out of me. So if it's unclear I ask questions just so I'm not left wondering. I can tell that's probably not your personality. But if this were me I'd straight up ask what he wanted from the relationship, friends or something else.
    Without knowing him or his personality, it's hard to really say what his actions mean.
  • breefoshee
    Options
    so do you like him like him or just like him?

:D I COULD like him lol! But if he's just being friendly, then there's no reason to get excited about anything.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    So, he's not dating anyone and is investing a lot of time and energy in spending time and energy with you. He hasn't made official overtures and there may be reasons. It may be he enjoys your company more than going alone or he's interested.

I'd lean more towards the latter in my unprofessional opinion but in the end all you can do is ask. He may just want to be good friends but he could be out seeing someone else with the time he spends with you if that makes sense.
  • breefoshee
    Options
    I don't like not knowing what someone else is expecting from/out of me. So if it's unclear I ask questions just so I'm not left wondering. I can tell that's probably not your personality. But if this were me I'd straight up ask what he wanted from the relationship, friends or something else.
    Without knowing him or his personality, it's hard to really say what his actions mean.

Same. I like knowing what people expect. I'm definitely not the type to ask directly though. I'll probably just watch things play out and assume that he's just being friendly until he makes something else clear.
  • breefoshee
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Dude sounds like a free spirit. Takes life as it comes. What's his diet like?

All I know is that he makes amazing sushi....
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    you could get drunk and come on to him and if he turns you down blame the liquor

Or this!
  • breefoshee
    Options
    breefoshee wrote: »
    so do you like him like him or just like him?

:D I COULD like him lol! But if he's just being friendly, then there's no reason to get excited about anything.

If you "COULD like him" then make your move girl. Don't wait for him. It's almost 2019 for crying out loud. Get excited...so what. Obviously he enjoys your company if he keeps asking you out. I would just go out to whatever event interests you and don't hold back just because of the unknown. If you're interested in him, then let him know. It's up to him what he does with that information. That's just me, but I'm old and I don't waste time playing games.

I'm not about that first move life! At best, I can flip my hair, compliment his muscles and laugh at his jokes. But.. hey.. then again maybe that's what he is doing.... :D
  • breefoshee
    Options
    These responses are cracking me up! He said he'd call tonight to make plans for the weekend... sooooo we shall see...