January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I am assuming same author name, will have to look it up when I have time this weekend.
    Well, you need to google my actual name Vincent Trigili - I assume "Pastor Vincent" will return lots of results.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I am assuming same author name, will have to look it up when I have time this weekend.
    Well, you need to google my actual name Vincent Trigili - I assume "Pastor Vincent" will return lots of results.

I meant the same as the previous series of your's I have been perusing. Up to Spectra's Gambit so far.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 – 10.09 warmup + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 – 6.28 easy w/fast finish
    1/3 – 6.76 warmup, intervals, cool down
    1/4 – rest day
    1/5 – 16.65 warmup, Winter Warrior Half
    1/6 – 8.09 easy
    1/7 – rest day
    1/8 – 8.64 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/9 – 11.08 easy
    1/10 – 8.25 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/11 – rest day
    1/12 – 15.94 warmup, 5 mile race, post-race easy run
    1/13 – 12.46 easy with hills
    1/14 – rest day
    1/15 – 8.19 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/16 – 10.01 easy to MP
    1/17 – 9.82 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/18 – rest day
    1/19 – 15.12 with snow and wind
    1/20 – 8.10 indoor track
    1/21 – rest day
    1/22 – 8.19 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/23 – 13.16 easy with hills
    1/24 – 3.81 warmup, aborted speed work
    1/25 – rest day
    1/26 – 8.59 warmup + 4.9 mile race
    1/27 – 10.46 easy on indoor track
    1/28 – rest day
    1/29 – 8.74 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/30 – extra rest day
    1/31 – 8.22 with hills and perfect weather

January running total – 216.65

Nominal January mileage goal: 200 miles

Real Goals: Train well toward Boston. Work the January races into the training plan smoothly. Remain uninjured, even if it means cutting back on planned mileage or races.

Today's notes – Today's warming trend is brought to you by Delta Airlines.

Got up this morning (middle of the night, actually) and saw my porch thermometer read -0.8º F (-18.2º C). There was wind. It was a strong enough wind that I was getting lake effect snow from Lake Erie; usually that doesn't get as far as my driveway. On the plus side, it's pretty thinned out by the time it gets to me, so there isn't a whole lot of it.

The snow made audible crunching sounds under my tires as I drove to the airport. I had layered adequately for perhaps mid-teens F if I didn't stay too long. Got into the airport terminal. Baggage counter doesn't open till 4, I need to check a bag. Restructured layers to be livable for inside, stashed some in my carry on.

Got on the plane for takeoff at 6. Window seat. It was cold, even with 2 long sleeve tech shirts and a substantial rain/wind shell. Got warmer after we took off. 28º F (-2º C) in Atlanta had the airport employees commenting about the cold, felt pretty good to me. Got to Tallahasse, and it must be cold; everyone was wearing jackets. I did not feel a need to put gloves on. Walked around and got lunch while waiting for the hotel room to be ready. When it was, I checked in, set up my base, and threw on shorts, a short sleeve tech shirt, and ankle length socks inside Kinvaras that have no decent traction on snow. Went out exploring, and found that Tallahassee puts a lot of work into its parks. Ran past some small parks, around a newish Cascade Park, though the FSU campus, and stumbled across a pond with a nice path around it when I thought I'd just finish up on boring city streets.

It was heavenly. Garmin said it was 57º F (14º C). I don't take pictures when running, but I did run past the places I took pictures earlier while walking:
    uqkv4cfgm9m2.jpg

c3uacgzpxjz2.jpg

bj17e70c8rsz.jpg

It is worth *every penny* of what I'm spending to be here a day earlier than the rest of the team.

January goal review. Went past the nominal goal, which had been set conservatively compared to the marathon training plan. Sure enough, Life Happened and I didn't run as many miles as the plan called for; but I'm healthy, and that's a lot more important. On the real goals, Boston training is going reasonably well. I've avoided overtraining, and taking time for the January races has actually helped with that. I have cut back on the originally planned mileage to accomplish this, but I've been able to keep all the originally planned races. I'm pretty happy with the month.

On to February!

2019 Races:
    January 1, 2019 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) finished in 50:55
    January 5, 2019 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:48
    January 12, 2019 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds 5 Mile) (Spencerport, NY) finished in 33:10
    January 26, 2019 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) 4.9 miles, finished in 32:28
    February 2, 2019 USATF XC Championship, Masters 8K (Tallahassee, FL)
    February 9, 2019 Freezeroo #5 (Tom Brannon 8 mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 23, 2019 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    March 16, 2019 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K) (Virginia Beach, VA)
    April 13, 2019 BAA 5K (Boston, MA)
    April 15, 2019 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA to Boston, MA)
    November 3, 2019 TCS New York City Marathon (New York, NY)

That looks beautiful! I can always tell it's cold when I visit family on the west coast in the winter and am the only one not wearing a coat. Usually I just wear two sweaters and a shawl that doubles as a blanket getting to and from the airport but I guess now I have some better lightweight layers than I did before I started running.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 wrote: »
    @AlphaHowls you would be the perfect candidate for the Sandlot Marathon coming up in March
    https://sandlotmarathon.com/
    If you sign up I'll do it with you.

This is hilarious! :D If not for having to care for my mother, I would so do this!