January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes - great job getting all your runs in but one!! WhooHoo!! Well first how is your ankle/foot feeling?

@lporter229 - I have a 2nd metatarsal stress fracture/stress reaction. 1st was on self imposed rest/maybe a run won't hurt today, then given the ok by my regular doc and a couple of runs in until I saw the podiatrist she sent me to and given 8 weeks no running. Podiatrists goal was to heal the foot and convince me I was too old to be running or strength training. Still having some issues and want to get to the cause of it so saw my sports ortho and he gave me another 6 weeks minimum no running. I saw his PT on Monday and we are working on the correction for my foot. He wants me to walk for now and if pain free add a 'little bit' of running in. I go back in 2 weeks for a gait analysis and hopefully new orthotics.

@greenolivetree - hang in there! Your speed will improve over time just like it did before! Just try to be as consistent as possible with life getting in the way.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I love, and am jealous of, the fact that you have a catfish place! And that's the second time I've heard this cold snap being described as disrespectful.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @shanaber No heel pain yesterday. I tend to get it towards the end of a longer run. It almost feels like a bruise.

My right ankle still feels annoyed with me at times but it's not getting worse. I'm finding what shoes I wear really make a difference to how stuff/irritated it is the day after running. I actually went back to a pair of shoes I put aside in a fit of pique in the spring and they seem to be the least irritating. They're stability, very low mileage, moderate drop (8mm), very cushioned. My other shoes are all older. Modest mileage but I think I need to replace sooner than some people.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Shanaber- Sorry to hear that. I think I remember that you were dealing with that now. I had a metatarsal stress fracture in 2014. Not as severe as yours it seems. I was off running and in a boot for 6 weeks. It was a long six weeks. But it healed 100%. My podiatrist did not try and talk me out of running, but I did get the lecture on how I was ruining my feet and my bones were clearly in bad shape from running and how I would have problems later in life, blah, blah, blah. At any rate, I am still running. Wishing you a speedy recovery and lots of happy running ahead!