January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Running shoes: I was noticing that I am close to the 300 mile mark on my current shoes, Brooks GTS 18. Therefore, coming up time for new ones.

Here is my question: Since the last time I went to the run shop to be fitted, I came out with the newer model of the ones I was already in. Should I just assume that they will be "The Ones" and go for the 19's & order them on-line (using the size I'm in now) ....or....since the 18's are still available, I'm fine in them, AND they are much cheaper, get a pair of the 18's (in another color), and consider myself thrifty? lol

I run in 18s and tried the 19s at a store and hated them. Ordered 18s online cheap, considering scraping together enough money for a second pair because I dislike the 19s so much, hoping they will fix them before I need to buy shoes again.

You may not have the same experience but the issue for me is that they removed the medial post so the shoe is much less stable. I have one knee with no ACL so I REALLY need my foot to be solid side to side, and in the 19s I felt like I was running on the side of my foot - seen from the outside I wasn't but clearly something was wrong with the loading and the pressure it put on my leg. They have these new "rail" things which are supposed to have the same effect as the medial post by guiding your foot forward and prevent pronation - but I don't really pronate, I just have a wobbly knee. So not at all the same thing.

Anyway I advise trying the 19s before you buy them. Also, I think the new colors are blah. And if they aren't sold out of your size you can grab 18s at half off right now.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Question for the group: What is your favorite treadmill interval workout?

@lporter229 For treadmill intervals, I've been doing this:

-warmup (typically progressively increase speed for 12:00)
    -6x3:00 at pace above VO2 Max with 3:00 "recoveries" in between
    *For recoveries, I struggle with slowing down enough. I try to keep at a running pace (not walking), but the idea is to slow down enough to let HR drop to a level just low enough that I have room to climb again at the next interval.
    -Then cool down slowly

The actual speed may be different for each person, but my VO2 Max speed is at a pace about 0:10-0:20 faster than my 5K road pace... so hopefully that helps.

That's interesting. I have a hard time holding even my 5k pace on the treadmill. I think it compromises my form quite a bit and those fast paces are brutal for me. I can never hit the interval paces on my treadmill that I hit on a track (unless my treadmill calibration is horribly off).
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - thanks! I was going to say I could do it on Thursday but you go for it tomorrow!
    BTW where is @garygse? I haven't seen a post from him for a while... hope he is just busy!

@dreamer12151 - I was going to say the same as others... if you can get what you know at a discount I would go for those. Never ever just assume the new model will work for you. Too often they make changes that are not good for some runners for whatever reason. I also like to look at the reviews from other runners and see what they have to say about the new model. I also can get more than 300 miles from most of my running shoes but I can tell by the twinges (knee, shin, etc.) when they need to be replaced.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    Running shoes: I was noticing that I am close to the 300 mile mark on my current shoes, Brooks GTS 18. Therefore, coming up time for new ones.

Here is my question: Since the last time I went to the run shop to be fitted, I came out with the newer model of the ones I was already in. Should I just assume that they will be "The Ones" and go for the 19's & order them on-line (using the size I'm in now) ....or....since the 18's are still available, I'm fine in them, AND they are much cheaper, get a pair of the 18's (in another color), and consider myself thrifty? lol

I use the GTS as well. The sizing is the same, so no worries there. The 19 is a bit different in the way the support is set up. Now they have these "guiderails" rather than the distinct firm foam. I actually prefer it, but I saw some reviews when I was researching from people who were not big fans. If you have a way to try them on or order from a place with a good return policy, that's probably a good idea. But if you loved the 18, save a buck or 50 and get another pair of those.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 0
    1/2 - 4
    1/3 - 0
    1/4 - 4
    1/5 - 4
    1/6 - 5
    1/7 - 0
    1/8 - 4
    1/9 - 0
    1/10 - 3
    1/11 - 0
    1/12 - 4
    1/13 - 6
    1/14 - 0
    1/15 - 4
    1/16 - 0
    1/17 - 5
    1/18 - 0
    1/19 - 0
    1/20 - 4
    1/21 - 5
    1/22 - 0
    1/23- 0
    1/24 - 0
    1/25 - 7
    1/26 - 3
    1/27 - 6
    1/28 - 0

68 of 60 miles

Yeah goal. Work is killing me, we are in our testing cycle and I'm working 11 and 12 hour days. I'll never catch up on the 400 posts I missed. I'm working from home today, because we have a snow day. I know you all are jealous of our snow.

wa9rwlwb3u6k.jpg

this is not my last shovel. that fence is a four foot fence. and now the snow pile is over the fence
    6n5tj5kwuh78.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 oh yeah I remember those days from when I lived in New Jersey. We were supposed to get 1 - 3 inches and we are under a state of emergency and the entire state is shut down. The picture is what we got, not even rain, it's cold (my our standards) 30F right now but that's it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Question for the group: What is your favorite treadmill interval workout?

@lporter229 For treadmill intervals, I've been doing this:

-warmup (typically progressively increase speed for 12:00)
    -6x3:00 at pace above VO2 Max with 3:00 "recoveries" in between
    *For recoveries, I struggle with slowing down enough. I try to keep at a running pace (not walking), but the idea is to slow down enough to let HR drop to a level just low enough that I have room to climb again at the next interval.
    -Then cool down slowly

The actual speed may be different for each person, but my VO2 Max speed is at a pace about 0:10-0:20 faster than my 5K road pace... so hopefully that helps.

That's interesting. I have a hard time holding even my 5k pace on the treadmill. I think it compromises my form quite a bit and those fast paces are brutal for me. I can never hit the interval paces on my treadmill that I hit on a track (unless my treadmill calibration is horribly off).

The treadmill helps me to keep up the pace, actually. If I do that outside, I give up too easily and slow down too soon... sometimes intentionally and sometimes not. By setting the speed on the treadmill and keeping at it, I have to keep up with the machine. My HR at VO2 Max is about 159, but I set it to a speed that gets me up to upper 160's or 170's. This is tough to keep up, but I can do so for 3 min. The treadmill helps enforce that I keep it up for longer. It's tough and the idea is that it is supposed to be tough. I'm just pushing myself beyond VO2 Max for 3 min. at a time in order to hopefully increase speed. I'll keep doing this for 6 weeks total before switching to a different part of my training plan.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Stay warm everyone! People are complaining in Florida and obviously have no right to do so! My goodness - I can't imagine temps that are expected. It better be long gone before the end of Feb when I go to Minn. :scream:

It is unlikely that this cold will stick around - it's supposed to be almost 40 this Saturday! Most of the time winter in the Twin Cities (other parts of Minnesota can be even colder) is around the mid teens to mid twenties, which yeah, is still cold, but nothing like this -25 or whatever nonsense we're supposed to be getting tomorrow. That's more of a "twice in a decade" low. We usually have a handful of days under 0 every year, but lower than -5 or so is rare. Your best bet is to plan on whatever outerwear you'd want for mid teens to low twenties and layers, layers, layers!