January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq you bad kitten! I'd been waiting for your report. You really did well in those tough conditions! Didn't you get a fleece jacket or pullover as well? Second year in a row I've missed it. Hopefully next year I'll be healthy.

Here's an article and several photos of the race from MPR

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/01/26/runners-brave-cold-snow-twin-cities

Ooh, thanks for the link! I wished I'd gotten pictures along Shepard Road but I don't like to run with my phone even when it's not so cold that I worry about the battery. And we did get a very nice technical pull-over which I promptly forgot in the trunk of the car and have been too much of a baby to go get it since then. I'm planning on waiting out the cold snap but looking forward to a snowy run later in the week.

ETA: That hill at the beginning/end of the race was a monster! I can't believe no one fell - at least not while I was watching.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq you really are a bad *kitten*! Great job running a 10K in those conditions. I don't think I would have attempted it from the looks of those pictures. Nice trophy case too!
    @ddmom0811 sounds like a good vacation, and glad you dodged the virus!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I can sorta do two pushups, but with horrible form (elbows out to the sides and not really a straight line from head to toe); or 8~10 knee pushups. I just downloaded an app that follows the programme from hundredpushups.com and set training reminders to do the training Mon/Wed/Fri morning before work. I'll do incline pushups on the coffee table. At the end of the February running challenge, I can hopefully do at least 20 coffee-table-pushups, then I'll try real floor pushups in March.
    I'm tempted to try @katharmonic 's pull-up challenge at the same time, but I don't have a pull-up bar and cannot install any in my apartment (or at work - I even checked the door trims there). So push-ups first, that would already be a success :smile:

I did a whole heap of reading on the "proper" pushup about 6 months ago because I was doing my own pushup challenge at home. And guess what - there is no "right" way. The ones in the video are also known as "tricep push ups" because they use your triceps more. Other forms use different muscles. So you do your elbows out to the side, they are still push ups!!!

I'm going to get back into this, because I got up to about 12 or 13 pushups (elbows out) but stopped and now cant do 2 again lol. tempted to try the pull up challenge as well because we have a pull up bar at the gym I've joined - though no other tools to help
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq - Nice race report. I ran a PR 5K in similar weather . . . the slowest 5K race I ever ran.

@7lenny7 - To a certain extent, pull-ups are like running. If you want to be able to do them, you have to keep doing them regularly. I couldn't do any before I became able to do 2 or 3 when I was 56 years old. I've done some pull-ups or chin-ups every day I haven't been traveling or sick ever since. People who don't do pull-ups might be surprised at how hard it is to find a pull-up bar or anything that can substitute for one in a hotel.

I have no idea how I became associated with the Sally push-ups. They look way too tough for me. I'll settle for 2 sets of standard push-ups and one set of either decline push-ups (feet on a chair, hands on the floor) or Bosu push-ups (curved side down, hands on rim of flat side) each day. Except when I'm sick or traveling; somehow I don't ever seem to do push-ups when traveling, even though it's possible to do them just about anywhere.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I have no idea how I became associated with the Sally push-ups. They look way too tough for me. I'll settle for 2 sets of standard push-ups and one set of either decline push-ups (feet on a chair, hands on the floor) or Bosu push-ups (curved side down, hands on rim of flat side) each day. Except when I'm sick or traveling; somehow I don't ever seem to do push-ups when traveling, even though it's possible to do them just about anywhere.

Moby is the artist responsible for the “sally” song, named “flower”-just to add to the confusion :smiley:
  • hoshaugh73
    hoshaugh73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    01 - 4
    02 - 1.25
    03 - 4.25
    04 - 2
    05 - 4.5
    06 - 1.75
    07 - 2.25
    08 - 3.75
    09 - 2
    10 - 3
    11 - 2
    12 - 1.5
    13 - 9.25
    14 thru 21- Vacation, didn't track milage.
    22 - 0
    23 - 1.75
    24 - 4.5
    25 - .75
    26 - 0
    27 - 2.5
    28 - 2.75
    29 -
    30 -
    31 -

January Total: 53.75 miles
    January Goal: 60 miles

Rhody Run 12k (5/19)
    Scramble XXIV - 6-Mile Scramble (6/30)
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0128-3.7k total 66.2k, goal-100k

Dreadmill last night at the gym because I was bored. Might or might not have had a slight breakthrough with dreadmill running. We shall see.

Say, if my plan calls for a 30min pace run and an 8km easy run this week, would a 30min easy run plus a 8km run with 30min at pace have the same effect?