January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui I like them socks, they remind me of spy eyes! I love socks. I just don’t like wearing them. I’m always barefoot.

And @katharmonic @louubelle @martaindale @orphia, I wash my hair 1-2 times a day. But if I get two showers in a day, I’m likely just conditioning it the second time. I can do the hot water rinse thing, but eh... I started using gel and hair spray with this shorter cut. So I feel like I have to wash it out. Now if I don’t use it, I can do the rinse. But if I just skip a was or rinse, my head gets itchy and it drive me nuts. My hair is a bit bipolar, it’s straight on top and curly in the back so not washing the natural oils out makes it more manageable. But the top straight hair gets limp and annoying. My hair hates this hard water that we have. I could talk dh into a softener just for my hair... ok and the appliances.
  • Kimtrooper
    Kimtrooper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    My January goal was to:
    "Ease out of my downtime and run a HM, or even a 30 km (Last HM was Dec 2, last 30ish was 11 Nov)."

On Jan 20 I did a HM.

Today I did 30 km. Happy!
    dm6lmcn0zmsl.jpg

Wow @Orphia that’s amazing!! Congratulations on some awesome running 👍😀
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Great socks @polskagirl01 ! I wonder if @garygse wears socks?
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    @squish815 how much are you currently running per week on average and what's your typical long run each week? I'm seeing about 4-5 miles as your longest from what you just posted here for January. I think you would need some time to build up mileage and by increasing both your weekly total and your long run gradually. You may also want to add one day of speedwork if you aren't already doing that. But the most important thing is to increase miles and be consistent.

I would look at beginner half marathon plans, many/most of which are 12 weeks. You probably could get there sooner than that but I wouldn't want to try to rush that or it could lead to injury, and feeling miserable.

You can totally do it though! When I first signed up for a half I had been running for less than a year and had only done a few 5k races, nothing longer. I joined a training group and had about 20 weeks to train. I think my long run was about an hour/5 miles when I started and the plan worked it up by 15 minutes every 3rd week to get to 10 miles.

Hi katharmonic! Thank you for this, it's all very helpful.

You're correct, at the moment I'm only doing around 4-5 miles so will increase this gradually. I do want to make sure that if I decide to do this, I don't injure myself or make myself hate running! I'll also add in some speedwork during the week.

Ultimately though it all depends on when my friend plans on doing a half!