• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Congrats all you that raced this weekend. Read the reports. Well done
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @Squish815 I agree with everything @katharmonic said, and I would recommend a Hal Higdon half marathon plan. That will have you running 4 days per week and start your long run at 4 miles.

Thank you @kgirlhart - I shall look in to the Hal Higdon half marathon plan!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    “Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
    — ALBERT EINSTEIN

Saw this quote and thought of all the <3 every single one of us pours into running, no matter the mileage.

I love this!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @katharmonic ! Just another example how this group is amazing, even if it’s simple support through sharing silly or awesome socks! I’ve never encountered waterproof socks. I may have to add them to my collection. Thanks so much.

ETA we’ll keep you accountable on the pull up. In solidarity I’ll plank or do “sally” push ups. (Push ups to Moby’s Flower- bring sally up). I won’t leave you “hangin’” LOOK! here it is if anyone wants to join in. It’s fun! Or join in the pull ups!

This looks interesting to me, and I think it would be a lot easier for me than pull ups (which I cannot do at all) because I already do a lot of chaturangas in my yoga practice. But I don't think I could listen to that song for almost 4 minutes.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

+1. I used Hal Higdon's Novice 1 HM plan and it was great, at my turtle speeds the last weeks had me running about 45 minutes one day per week, an hour 2 days per week and up to just under 2 hours for the long run at the weekend. I finished the race in 2:30:19, much less than I had expected and it wasn't as tough as I expected it to be, even though if I'm honest it was way too much for me considering how little I had been running before I decided to sign up for it! The thing I would bear in mind though is that you really need to find time for plenty of stretching sessions and some strength and cross training as well as the 4 runs per week, that's where I messed up and I am still paying for it.

That's a fantastic time, well done!

I will definitely look in to that HM plan then! I think I should be ok on the strength side as I do go to the gym at least 3 times a week. Though I think that's the scary thing for me - I've only started regularly running again recently. Here's hoping my friend has a HM in mind that's in Autumn so I can mentally prepare!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Squish815 wrote: »
    Not checked this for a few days so I am VERY behind. Will try and catch up later today.

06Jan - 2.8 miles (outdoor)
    07Jan - 1.4 miles (treadmill)
    10Jan - 1.5 miles (treadmill)
    11Jan - 2 miles (treadmill)
    13Jan - 4 miles (outdoor)
    14Jan - 1.9 miles (treadmill)
    17Jan - 1.9 miles (treadmill)
    18Jan - 1.5 miles (treadmill)
    20Jan - 4.6 miles (outdoor)
    21Jan - 1.75 miles (treadmill)
    25Jan - 3.1 miles (treadmill)
    27Jan - 4.2 miles (Outdoors - a lot faster than I thought I would be considering I was tired and it was quite windy)
    28Jan - 1.8 miles (treadmill)

Total so far: 32.45 miles of 20

Also, I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice - the friends I normally run 10k races with have floated the idea that we do a half marathon instead of the races we had planned. I am in 2 minds about this - it's one thing to jump from 5k to 10k, but a half seems a bit daunting. It also depends on when it is as work gets in the way of running/life.

BUT if I was to agree, is it as scary as it seems? How long would it take to increase my distance (I can do a 10k pretty comfortably in just over an hour)? And realistically, how much of my time would training take up?

My experience is with Hal Hidgon plans, and the beginner plan will lay out how to get you there, so you can see how much time you'll need to devote to it. An hour for 10k translates to about 2:15 half marathon if you've trained properly, but figure longer (2:30-45ish) for a training run of that distance. If you think it's doable with your life, I say go for it.
    *Disclaimer: I might be a crazy runner ;)
    *ETA just read the rest of the responses, I guess we're in agreement!