January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The top of my foot is hurting, is this common among runners? Anything I can do about It?

Define hurting -- are we talking blister or pain on the inside? If the latter, I am guessing you have a shoe fit issue or are not landing properly.

It's at the top of my foot where it creases and now it sort of hurts when I walk. It's not a blister and there aren't any significant signs of injury. I am assuming it's from stretching that area of my body, since most exercises..my feet are planted firmly on the ground and not constantly bent. Stretch exercises might help with that or loosening my shoes lol

Hi! I've found rolling my foot out / stretching calves + achilles to offer some foot pain relief in the past, might be worthwhile!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    We also did box jumps and that is such a mental challenge for me. I have to get over that voice that says "what if you don't make it" every time.

Box jumps scare me so much!! Especially those wooden boxes with the completely sharp edges. I just can't. Huge mental block there. The padded ones at least don't conjure up images of all the skin on my shins getting scraped off. Instead I think about face planting. Man, I hate box jumps...

@martaindale & @katharmonic -- I thought I was the only one! When I had a trainer I absolutely could NOT do it. He never told me that it was a common thing so I thought I had some weird mental problem. BoxJumpPhobia? I finally did a few one day, but the next time I tried I could not. So I gave up on those! I shall not be putting in any boxes in my home gym!
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 I hate weather like this, but -26C isn't really all that cold for here in the winter. It can get as low as -40. It's been a couple of years since it got that cold, though. Yesterday we plugged in the car while at work for the first time since last winter...

Plugged in the car at work? I don’t even know what that means!

7lenny7 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 if you do decide to have a run while your in Mpls and want some company, lmk! We have beautiful places to run and the paved trails around the lakes by @MegaMooseEsq are plowed before the roads are. I know how busy conferences can be, and hauling extra gear on the plane isn't fun either.

Thanks! I can’t imagine I will be able to run outside unless it is at least 35. I’m staying downtown at the Hyatt. Is that close to any trails? I was figuring I'd be on the treadmill!

It was 45F out this morning! Had a nice run and decided to leave the neighborhood ... I only do it once every month on different days since it's so early (4:30-5:30) and I don't want anyone to catch my pattern. But it's fun to run a different route.

1/1 - 1.5 miles - #RwRunStreak Day 41 - Last day of Holiday Streak!
    1/2 - Transform - Arms Deload week!
    1/3 - 5 miles
    1/4 - rest day
    1/5 - 44 miles cycling + Transform App - Arms
    1/6 - 5 miles
    1/7 - 4.5 miles + transform app - legs
    1/8 - 4.5 miles
    1/9 - 3 miles + transform app - Back
    1/10 - 5 miles

exercise.png

It's supposed to be in the mid to high 30s this weekend, so you might be in the clear - I don't remember when you said you're coming, but this month has been really mild (for us). From the downtown Hyatt I would walk or run 6-7 blocks north-east to the river to run. You could go either up or downstream but I'd probably recommend upstream. You'd be right by the Stone Arch Bridge as well (historical pedestrian bridge), so you could run across that and run along the river on the St Anthony side of the river, but I don't know that side as well and in my (limited) experience the path isn't as well maintained on that side. It would also be an easy drive to the Chain of Lakes, which is the trail system @7lenny7 mentioned - you can start anywhere along Cedar Lake, Lake of the Isles, Bde Maka Ska, or Lake Harriet, and run on paved trails about as long as you want with very little cross traffic. This time of year the pedestrian and bike paths are combined to keep maintenance down, but the traffic volume is generally down enough to compensate. Of course if it's sunny and above freezing, it might be pretty busy around Bde Maka Ska in particular - it's probably the most popular lake.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Good luck on the interview and the long run today @kristinegift!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    And on a quick personal note, I have a job interview tomorrow!! I've been application slogging for months since I moved from NJ to VA in September, so I'm very happy to have a breakthrough. It's for a contracting company, so hopefully something pans out. I've got that in the morning, and then I have to get my long run (16 miles) done before I work at 2 pm. Wish me luck on both counts! :D

Knock'em dead! You got this!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    And on a quick personal note, I have a job interview tomorrow!! I've been application slogging for months since I moved from NJ to VA in September, so I'm very happy to have a breakthrough. It's for a contracting company, so hopefully something pans out. I've got that in the morning, and then I have to get my long run (16 miles) done before I work at 2 pm. Wish me luck on both counts! :D

@kristinegift Good luck!!! :)

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Good luck on the interview and the long run today @kristinegift!!

Ditto here ma'am!

@PastorVincent Glad the gloves worked out well! Instead of buying another pair or 2 my wife invested in a boot/shoe dryer and I can place my rained on/sweaty shoes and gloves over the appendages and they will be ready to go the next morning. Also :'( about the breast cancer survivor.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 when the time comes, if the weather cooperates I can either join you if it works out or suggest a route. From your hotel the Stone Arch Bridge is a must, but the trails (paved) on the east side of the river are limited around there.

Yesterday I only managed 39 floors/390' elevation, about half what I wanted. I was just too busy at work. Today will be elliptical day so no stair climbing.

January Stair Progress: 111 floors/1110 feet

ONE MORE WEEK!!!

I climb 5 floors to my office every morning, wonder how many feet that is...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 when the time comes, if the weather cooperates I can either join you if it works out or suggest a route. From your hotel the Stone Arch Bridge is a must, but the trails (paved) on the east side of the river are limited around there.

Yesterday I only managed 39 floors/390' elevation, about half what I wanted. I was just too busy at work. Today will be elliptical day so no stair climbing.

January Stair Progress: 111 floors/1110 feet

ONE MORE WEEK!!!

I climb 5 floors to my office every morning, wonder how many feet that is...

When I'm logging stairs, I don't count floors I walk anyway, just the floors I walk solely for the sake of exercise.
    Since my Garmin counts 10' of elevation gain as one floor, that's what I use. I did measure our stairs at work one day, and counted the steps. Our floors at work are actually 13', so they count as 1.3 floors for my purposes.

I should skip tracking floors and just track elevation. That's all I'll be looking at anyway, and they're only different by a factor of 10.