January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    We also did box jumps and that is such a mental challenge for me. I have to get over that voice that says "what if you don't make it" every time.

Box jumps scare me so much!! Especially those wooden boxes with the completely sharp edges. I just can't. Huge mental block there. The padded ones at least don't conjure up images of all the skin on my shins getting scraped off. Instead I think about face planting. Man, I hate box jumps...

My shins are well acquainted with a wooden box. It stings but if you just swear some and keep going it's fine. 😂
    We have a plastic sort of box with adjustable pods on each side at my gym so the trainer can make it low or high depending on your ability or the specific exercise. I used to be terrified of not being able to jump high enough and face planting but so far in 5 years that has not happened. What I actually hate more is doing step ups to a very high bench. I do not think it is fair that I have to step up to a bench almost hip high where on others it is just above their knees! It is great for the glutei though!

@dewit - waving back at you 👋 😁

@honunui and @elise4270 - I casually mentioned Hawaii (for a race) to my husband last night and he just said 'ok, go for it'!!! So hopefully I will be all mended soon and can start working on running hills and nothing else will get in the way. Yay - so excited already and it is a full year away. I am going to add it to my race list though!

Oh ya! Oh no... Those hills. Oh boy. Good for the kitten and i cant pass up more fish tacos and kona coffee

And @dewit - waving back at you 🤙
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

@Avidkeo Which fitnessblender strength programme are you doing, "Strong" or "Mass"? I have both, but somehow I like "Strong" a little better - I've only done "Mass" once, but I'm halfway through my 3rd iteration of "Strong".

@nikkiwolf I am currently doing the "Strong" program and I was thinking of doing the "Mass" program next. I was hesitant because this means I will have to buy a bench. Can you tell me why you like the Mass program less than the Strong program? I might just do the Strong program again with heavier weights....

@amymoreorless I should have a closer look to really do a fair comparison of the programmes. Of the top of my head, I think I just liked some of the videos of "Strong" better, the "bored easily" ones for example. "Mass" seemed to have more videos with HIIT intermissions, which I didn't like so much. But I can have a closer look at the weekend. Maybe I just liked it less because on average the videos are a bit longer :wink:
    I still think I might do 1 Mass after 3 Strongs again, just to mix it up, so it wasn't that bad.

I didn't buy a bench, I don't think it's necessary. There are some exercises where it would give you a little more range of motion, like chest press / chest fly / pull-overs . But in one video I saw Kelly suggests doing them lying on the floor in bridge position, so that's what I do instead. Or I lie down on the armrest/backrest of my couch, but that's only possible thanks to the fact that the couch is a 1,60m-long-corner-shaped thing (if that makes any sense?), it probably won't work for everyone's furniture.

@Nikkiwolf Thanks! I am glad I asked before buying a bench. You saved me some money. :) I have been doing some of the "bench" exercises on a stability ball or the floor. I will continue with that.
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    The top of my foot is hurting, is this common among runners? Anything I can do about It?

Define hurting -- are we talking blister or pain on the inside? If the latter, I am guessing you have a shoe fit issue or are not landing properly.

It's at the top of my foot where it creases and now it sort of hurts when I walk. It's not a blister and there aren't any significant signs of injury. I am assuming it's from stretching that area of my body, since most exercises..my feet are planted firmly on the ground and not constantly bent. Stretch exercises might help with that or loosening my shoes lol
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @abowersgirl - sometimes discomfort (not pain or sharp pain) on the top of your foot can also be a result of lacing your shoe too tight. I have high arches and often have issues with it depending on the shoe. There are a number of articles and videos online and this is a good one with visuals of the different lacing patterns for different issues.
    https://runrepeat.com/top-10-running-shoe-lacing-techniques

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the link 👍👍👍
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

@Avidkeo Which fitnessblender strength programme are you doing, "Strong" or "Mass"? I have both, but somehow I like "Strong" a little better - I've only done "Mass" once, but I'm halfway through my 3rd iteration of "Strong".

@nikkiwolf I am currently doing the "Strong" program and I was thinking of doing the "Mass" program next. I was hesitant because this means I will have to buy a bench. Can you tell me why you like the Mass program less than the Strong program? I might just do the Strong program again with heavier weights....

@amymoreorless I should have a closer look to really do a fair comparison of the programmes. Of the top of my head, I think I just liked some of the videos of "Strong" better, the "bored easily" ones for example. "Mass" seemed to have more videos with HIIT intermissions, which I didn't like so much. But I can have a closer look at the weekend. Maybe I just liked it less because on average the videos are a bit longer :wink:
    I still think I might do 1 Mass after 3 Strongs again, just to mix it up, so it wasn't that bad.

I didn't buy a bench, I don't think it's necessary. There are some exercises where it would give you a little more range of motion, like chest press / chest fly / pull-overs . But in one video I saw Kelly suggests doing them lying on the floor in bridge position, so that's what I do instead. Or I lie down on the armrest/backrest of my couch, but that's only possible thanks to the fact that the couch is a 1,60m-long-corner-shaped thing (if that makes any sense?), it probably won't work for everyone's furniture.

@Nikkiwolf Thanks! I am glad I asked before buying a bench. You saved me some money. :) I have been doing some of the "bench" exercises on a stability ball or the floor. I will continue with that.

If you do decide you want a bench and want to go simple, I have this one and really like it. It’s sturdy but light enough to move easily. I think it’s totally been worth it, and I paid twice as much as it’s listed for right now. ETA: the only issue I’ve had with the bench is it’s a little short, so if you’re tall it might not work great for you. Since I’m short, I like it.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Fitatelo wrote: »
    January 9th: 6.3/25 miles

I was mildly worried I wouldn't be able to make my 25 mile goal because I've started a lot slower than I've anticipated, but I realized I can get back on track by the beginning of next week. So I'm happy about that. Even though no matter what I'll be way behind everyone else on my Run The Year team 😂

Every contribution counts toward our 2019 miles.
    As the weather gets worse, some of us may not be able to meet our goals.
    We can catch up when the weather gets better.

Absolutely! It's only January!! I think we are doing great!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent So happy to hear the gloves work!