January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    guys as I Canadian I have had to both look up what 26 F means in real, metric terms, and picked my jaw up off the floor that this is believed to be "cold"

don't worry, as a wisconsinite i don't feel as if that' super cold either. however down south, that especially cold

yeah it is all relative -- cold is what you are not used to. I did a run in "-17" in American the other day
  • almostsuperpowered
    Options
    guys as I Canadian I have had to both look up what 26 F means in real, metric terms, and picked my jaw up off the floor that this is believed to be "cold"

Yeah I had a race this summer in 108 degree heat - that's 42 C for you!

I remember visiting my cousin in Ontario during a "heat wave." He and his family were running around in shorts saying they wished their house had AC. It was 70 degrees.

haha exactly. I cannot handle the heat either.
  • almostsuperpowered
    Options
    I find the discussion of temperatures on here insane all through the year - here in the UK, anything below 0C (32F) is considered incredibly cold. In the same way, anything above 25C (77F) is pretty much considered a heatwave. Some of your bodies are used to very different temperatures to us Brits! Give us rain though and we are fine :sweat_smile:

but the wet feet from the puddles! noooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat Those pictures are beautiful! Looks like quite an adventure!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    As a frequent naysayer of the dreadmill, I thought I should say something positive about it for a change because there are times (like last night) that I choose to dreadmill it. So benefits of the horrible thing:

1) Time. So it is winter where I live, and 20F (-6C) is becoming more and more normal for temperatures (plus wind and ice). For me running in cold temps takes layers, hot hands for mittens, hot hands for feet, and so on. Running on dreadmill is far less clothing and no waiting on hot hands to warm up. If I only have an hour to run, it is easier to maximize that on the dreadmill. At least in winter.

2) Control. So when I run outside I have many variables to deal with. Might get attacked by deer, run over by a car, puddles, ice and so on. It really is not possible to do a precise workout. I could run to a local school and use their track. Maybe (never asked) but ugh. But on the dreadmill I can lock in the parameters. So for example last night I did an MP ( marathon pace) run, at 5% grade, for 1 hour. The dreadmill helped me keep that exact pace for the full hour, which helps with muscle memory for leg turn over. Also, it was steadily uphill for 7 miles. No place like that exists around here. Not perfect I am sure but far better than I can do without help. :)

3) Quick aborts. If I am concerned about something happening (like having to drop everything and run to my son's school) doing that from a dreadmill is far quicker than from a run. On an outdoor run, I could be miles and miles from home. On the dreadmill I am at home. This is true for injuries, GI issues, and so on. If there is a reason you might need a quick abort, the dreadmill will give you that option.

4) Power. If you are like me and listen to stuffs while you run and your phone battery is low, you can plug it in while you run so that you can still use it.

5) Privacy. Enough said. ;)

So there you have it. That is every nice thing I can think of to say about the dreadmill.

^^^^^^^^ all of this!