January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @PastorVincent hmm.. 59f is still tank/no shirt running weather here. Maybe its a cold 59 in Fronce 😆 eh, i like the look of the gear. Seems to be half the price-ish. I have a really nice warm nike shirt with thumb holes and a hood, i think it was 60-80$. So 30-40 is alright.
    I bought some cheaper running shirts when someone left staples/tacks in thier pockets and they happened to shred my good running shirts in the dryer They are Fila. They are heavy, hot, seams pull...i never wear them. Eh. But the group appears to think the decathlon brand is worth a go.

I also have some fila fleece lined running tights that are nice. Were cheep. Like 12$. Definitely worth it.

Let us know what you think of the product. I may spring for some just based on @noblsheep 's approval.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent hmm.. 59f is still tank/no shirt running weather here. Maybe its a cold 59 in Fronce 😆 eh, i like the look of the gear. Seems to be half the price-ish. I have a really nice warm nike shirt with thumb holes and a hood, i think it was 60-80$. So 30-40 is alright.
    I bought some cheaper running shirts when someone left staples/tacks in thier pockets and they happened to shred my good running shirts in the dryer They are Fila. They are heavy, hot, seams pull...i never wear them. Eh. But the group appears to think the decathlon brand is worth a go.

I also have some fila fleece lined running tights that are nice. Were cheep. Like 12$. Definitely worth it.

Let us know what you think of the product. I may spring for some just based on @noblsheep 's approval.

I agree with you about Fila - bad shirts, great cheap tights. Are they a Kohls brand? I don't think I've seen them except at Kohls.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - I love it when they bark like that too - I figure he is telling 'it' to 'slow down, I just want to talk to you...' He has also started to bark a bit when we are running agility. I think he is telling me to hurry up because I am typically behind him 😊
    @HonuNui - fantastic pictures of the Blood moon eclipse! Wow! Also if I could find a way to get Hobbes over there with me I would bring him. I am sure he and Lily the Whippet would have an awesome time chasing all over the place!
    @scott6255 - great report and great job on managing the race!
    @7lenny7 - the lure runs on a line that is not as thick as a rope but thicker than fishing line, if that makes sense. There are some devices that hold it in place but allow the lures to run seamlessly. There were a couple of times a dog would grab it at the end and pull it so har they would have to realign it onto those devices. It was run remotely from a guy on a ladder at one end of the field far away from the dogs' running area but close enough that he could see to increase or decrease the speed depending on the do's attention and speed. They didn't so much let the dogs catch it at the end but there is no real way to avoid it. What you don't see on the video is Hobbes got the bag so far in his mouth that he gagged right after grabbing it. We will definitely be doing it again.

I have never heard of Decathlon brand but will have to check them out now after all the recommendations!

I am loving all the pictures of ice beards, cold weather gear, race bling and food! Of course Kody gets the honorable mention for his tongue and ice beard! So Cute!!

Also seeing all those cold temperature mentions and cold weather pictures I have to mention that it is windy here and getting worse (20-30 mph today higher tomorrow) but after Tuesday it is going to get back into the high 70's maybe 80's again. I had finally felt like we were having a winter this year with cool temps and rain but it seems to be over already with just a week or two...
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 @noblsheep @louubelle16 @girlinahat @eleanorhawkins @rheddmobile and anyone else I missed...

I got a reply back from Joey...
    Joey wrote:
    Hello Vincent,

Thank you for your your message in regards to our products. My name is Joey, our running expert here at Decathlon USA.

All of our products are translated from French, but we do tend to add some excessive wordiness to our product names. The shirt you mentioned is a perfect example: "The running warm long sleeved t-shirt." We are working to clean up our product names as time goes on.

As this is a long sleeve pullover, I wouldn't recommend running with it in desert temperatures. There is a typo on the product page and it should read 41 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit. It's a great lightweight running pullover. If you're looking for something to handle a little cooler temperatures, I would go with the warmer version:
    https://www.decathlon.com/collections/mens-running-jackets-and-windbreakers/products/mens-kiprun-warm-regular-long-sleeved-zip-t-shirt?variantid=18362491895870

What else can I help you find?

Joey

Heh. Well that was.. helpful.

I think there must have been a mistranslation somewhere, that same shirt reads "up to 15 degrees C" on the Chinese website. Which is also a load of crap, as I don't fish it out until it gets well into the single digits. Maybe their product testers put them on and then hang around chatting outdoors (for which it is totally comfortable at 15C).
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I went through my running stuff again last night. Turns out I've bought more stuff from them than I'd remembered. An incomplete list of running gear (YMMV):

Shorts - capable. I cut out the lining because it chaffed.
    Shirt - nothing to write home about.
    Warm tights - does its job. Haven't used them in a while, too hot (Beijing only goes to about -5C most of the time)
    Windbreaker - fugly but does its job.
    Trail backpack - has seen me through a 50km, a 30km and countless trail HMs. Bounces around more than my Salomon trail vest but only cost a tenth of the latter. I end up using it more for races because of its various pockets.
    Beanie - fugly but does its job.
    Rain cap - fugly but does its job.
    Long sleeve warm shirt - fleece lined, warm enough to go under freezing without needing an extra layer. Great stuff.
    Thin long sleeve shirt - dunno where I put it. Does its job.

Other stuff in case anyone cares:

Cycling gloves - hasn't died on me yet
    Swim goggles - capable
    Fleece backpacking shirt - warm enough but picks up static like crazy
    Hiking poles - got the cheapest ones with the screw adjustment system, utter *kitten*. Non-screwing ones might do better
    Foot massage ball - didn't find this on the US website. Best thing ever for sore feet
    Basketball - hasn't died on me yet
    Badminton paddles - ditto

Hope that helps.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber We had some strong wind yesterday. It wasn't helping my awkward running as it seemed to be coming from every direction. Temps would have been great if it wasn't for the wind.
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    okay team I am working from home today so it is a run outside or bust situation. at least it's supposed to warm up to -15C by lunch?

26/60km goal
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    MrsKGrady wrote: »
    1/6 - 1.5
    1/10 - 1.5
    1/12 - 1.65
    1/13 - 1.7
    1/15 - 1.25
    1/19 - 1.75
    1/20 - 1.8

I've had to do all my running on the treadmill this weekend. With the snow we got and the negative temps, I couldn't run outside. Tomorrow is supposed to be a warmup to 31 degrees so I'm hoping to get back outside again.

exercise.png

exercise.png

good for you for getting on the treadmill and putting in the work
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Shorts - capable. I cut out the lining because it chaffed.
    Shirt - nothing to write home about.
    Warm tights - does its job. Haven't used them in a while, too hot (Beijing only goes to about -5C most of the time)
    Windbreaker - fugly but does its job.
    Trail backpack - has seen me through a 50km, a 30km and countless trail HMs. Bounces around more than my Salomon trail vest but only cost a tenth of the latter. I end up using it more for races because of its various pockets.
    Beanie - fugly but does its job.
    Rain cap - fugly but does its job.
    Long sleeve warm shirt - fleece lined, warm enough to go under freezing without needing an extra layer. Great stuff.
    Thin long sleeve shirt - dunno where I put it. Does its job.

Other stuff in case anyone cares:

Cycling gloves - hasn't died on me yet
    Swim goggles - capable
    Fleece backpacking shirt - warm enough but picks up static like crazy
    Hiking poles - got the cheapest ones with the screw adjustment system, utter *kitten*. Non-screwing ones might do better
    Foot massage ball - didn't find this on the US website. Best thing ever for sore feet
    Basketball - hasn't died on me yet
    Badminton paddles - ditto

Hope that helps.

I have that same foot massage ball - mine came in a set with a regular size foam roller and a handheld roller. They are awesome.
    o8b5ufzjznxe.jpg
    medicine ball and plank/push up handle-thingies ('cause my wrists can't handle holding me up the regular way) sold separately
    I also discovered I've bought more there than I thought. Basically our entire home gym. I think the only thing I didn't like were the cheap summer "running" socks, and a cute set of summery workout clothes from the "fitness" section that as someone else mentioned, are more about looks than functionality. They are not long-run-approved. But then I didn't buy them in the running section. And I haven't found a tennis skirt I like enough to buy yet. I guess I'm picky.