January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Well I'm 400 posts behind. Oh well :) I ran 30 mins three times last week then last night I started the Bridge to 10k program. So that was four 10 min runs with 1 min walk breaks in between. I struggled through the whole thing. Usually at least once a week my whole run is just terrible and I feel like crap. Ha. My HR was higher than it's been despite adding in the walk breaks and the walk breaks honestly just felt pointless. I'm contemplating just adding 5 mins each week to my run instead of doing the walk break thing in the 10k program???

Also having a lot of upper back and neck pain and my neck starts to burn like hell after about 20-25 min running. But I refuse to miss a run because I wouldn't be so in pain if I was in better shape? LOL

double check you are running with relaxed shoulders and neck. it is not uncommon for runners to get pain there. think loosy goosy. relax the jaw, the neck, the shoulders.

@7lenny7 but i have a long weekend this weekend :disappointed:

Yes, definitely trying to do that. My back pain is 24/7 though. It's bad posture and my desk job. This is the worst flare up I've had in a long time. I have found over the past 10 years that certain exercises basically eliminate the pain. I just need to do it. LOL I am trying. It feels like I need somebody to wring my spine like a wet towel and crack every vertebrae. It also feels like I need to hang upside down to relieve the pressure. I almost got an inversion table about a year ago but then I felt better because of the exercises so I didn't buy it.

I feel ur pain @greenolivetree. I got a really bad flare up this month in my neck and shoulder. Docs told me on Tuesday it won’t get better. They’re sending me for physio & if that doesn’t work an op on my neck. Fingers crossed the patio works. Never ate so may pills
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    129 post behind and I see the sock game. I wanna play @Elise4270 even though you’re probably back home and not bored any more.

In fact - I wanted to play so much I got out of my pjs just to put today’s socks back on, then contorted my body so you could see the zebras.
    rpp2z587b61a.jpeg

:D

I’m in class waiting for it to start. I’m bored. Sitting here her with a bunch of 20yo (no offense to the 20yo’s). I love this sock game. I think I’m going to hunt some awesome socks. I like elephants. I want elephant sheets and bedding... now I want elephant socks.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    That's not bad as far as pain goes, and considering the Training Age of your new tendon is back to 0.

What's your plan? To keep running the same volume and see if it goes away?

@Orphia no, I'm actually going to increase the volume. I have a 20M race the end of February and a 50M race the end of April.

Doc said there'd be pain and to listen to my body. That's what I'm doing. This is less pain than I expected and but if it increases, I'll cut back. If the pain increases or becomes more frequent during a run I'll stop. If I get concerned at all, I'll see the doc again. He's close to my office and my co-pay is only $20.

This tendon I busted isn't a critical tendon for running. All it does is extend the toe, and with the other extensor tendons, raise the foot. This is what really makes this such a freak injury. It's not a tendon which has to absorb my body weight or impact forces. My doc, a foot surgeon of 30 years, has never seen this happen from running.

I know I'm not out of the woods with this yet, but I'm paying close attention to it and will readily alter my plans if the conditions warrant. And maybe I push to hard and it pops again. So be it.

I've never heard the concept of absorption runs before. I'm not sure I quite understand the goal. Even Google fails me on this one.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I’m in class waiting for it to start. I’m bored. Sitting here her with a bunch of 20yo (no offense to the 20yo’s). I love this sock game. I think I’m going to hunt some awesome socks. I like elephants. I want elephant sheets and bedding... now I want elephant socks.

How 'bout elephants wearing polka dot socks? https://www.amazon.com/Mainstays-Favorites-Pineapples-Geometric-Pillowcase/dp/B0754211QW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1548373219&sr=8-8&keywords=elephant+sheet

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I am way far behind in this thread... sorry anyone I missed checking in! Glad @Orphia is checking on on @7lenny7 and @Scott6255 has made it through DOMS and @Elise4270 has gotten her requested sock pictures... but really missed anyone else, sorry! Work is all upside down and sideways right now, but it will get back to normal in a few weeks!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

How 'bout elephants wearing polka dot socks? https://www.amazon.com/Mainstays-Favorites-Pineapples-Geometric-Pillowcase/dp/B0754211QW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1548373219&sr=8-8&keywords=elephant+sheet
    Haha! You know I’m sending that link straight to Eric! They’ll go with my shower curtain!
    2gb7l026wr4p.jpg

I got this at the DFW airport
    o9mezxtk2bg4.jpg

He turns inside out for a neck/travel pillow. Don’t look at the mess on the carpet. The cats have cardboard scratching things. Always a mess. An never mind my collection on the cat tree too, or the couch-my recovery nest evolved into a lazy couch spot.

ETA omg! I found camel ones!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    That's not bad as far as pain goes, and considering the Training Age of your new tendon is back to 0.

What's your plan? To keep running the same volume and see if it goes away?

@Orphia no, I'm actually going to increase the volume. I have a 20M race the end of February and a 50M race the end of April.

Doc said there'd be pain and to listen to my body. That's what I'm doing. This is less pain than I expected and but if it increases, I'll cut back. If the pain increases or becomes more frequent during a run I'll stop. If I get concerned at all, I'll see the doc again. He's close to my office and my co-pay is only $20.

This tendon I busted isn't a critical tendon for running. All it does is extend the toe, and with the other extensor tendons, raise the foot. This is what really makes this such a freak injury. It's not a tendon which has to absorb my body weight or impact forces. My doc, a foot surgeon of 30 years, has never seen this happen from running.

I know I'm not out of the woods with this yet, but I'm paying close attention to it and will readily alter my plans if the conditions warrant. And maybe I push to hard and it pops again. So be it.

Good to know you're planning to cut back if it increases.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Sock game! Polka dots with Sherpa lining, these are my recovery socks! Ignore my messy rug. BTW I think @7lenny7 posted a picture of his mud room and it looks like he has the same rug in his mud room that I have in mine.
    0hpu8d28dxeh.jpg