January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Wishing you all the best on your marathon @amymoreorless!! Hope it isn't too hot and/or wet. You'll do great no matter what.

Indeed! Go out and have a fantastic run @amymoreorless !
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I too take 'easy run' at its name... typically by the time I hit it in my run plan I am in need of it anyway.

I don't live where it gets really cold and even though I grew up in Idaho and we got snow it was never in the -degrees. So a question for those of you who do and who have dogs. How do you get them to go out or take them for walks and runs? Doesn't it hurt their noses, paws and ears? I can't imagine getting Hobbes the Vizsla out to run in those -degrees... he freezes with a jacket when it is in the high 40's.

Stella pretty much requires a walk every day. I put a coat on her when the temp is below 20. She doesn't care for it, but she will agree to it for the sake of the walk. I use Musher's wax on her paws. It's kind of a pain to get it on, but if I don't take the time to do it, she gets ice in her paws and hops on three legs. Of course, this only seems to bother her for a few seconds, but it bothers me. I also worry about the salt getting in her paws. I have never tried boots, but I'm pretty sure that would be a fiasco. Stella loves the snow so much and doesn't seem to mind the cold, so I bundle up and off we go. She does not really care for walking in the rain though, so we keep the walks short on rainy days.
  • proudmotherof6
    proudmotherof6 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This thread looks so cool lol. Here's a little about myself... I'm Lani, 32 years young, mother of 6 and wife of one lol. I just had a baby a week ago and I've became a couch potato. I want to run at least three days out the week and walk the other days, and maybe start off with 10 minutes each time for the first week and slowly increase from there. What do you all think? I use to be a runner but it's been a while since I've been active, plus with me just having a baby I need to start off slow. But I'm willing to take any advice. Please add me as a friend I'm not sure how to add people yet. I look forward to hearing from you all soon. 😊

Welcome to the thread Lani! And congratulations on your newest family member! Do you know when you'll be cleared by your doctor to run?

For new runners a program like C25K (couch to 5k) can be a great start. They recommend working up to walking briskly for 30 minutes before starting the running program, so that's something you can do while recovering. A lot of people who are new log walking as well as running miles, we're easygoing here!

Thx. She gave me the standard 6weeks but I'm kind of hard-headed lol. Is the C25k an app?
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    I too take 'easy run' at its name... typically by the time I hit it in my run plan I am in need of it anyway.

I don't live where it gets really cold and even though I grew up in Idaho and we got snow it was never in the -degrees. So a question for those of you who do and who have dogs. How do you get them to go out or take them for walks and runs? Doesn't it hurt their noses, paws and ears? I can't imagine getting Hobbes the Vizsla out to run in those -degrees... he freezes with a jacket when it is in the high 40's.

Stella pretty much requires a walk every day. I put a coat on her when the temp is below 20. She doesn't care for it, but she will agree to it for the sake of the walk. I use Musher's wax on her paws. It's kind of a pain to get it on, but if I don't take the time to do it, she gets ice in her paws and hops on three legs. Of course, this only seems to bother her for a few seconds, but it bothers me. I also worry about the salt getting in her paws. I have never tried boots, but I'm pretty sure that would be a fiasco. Stella loves the snow so much and doesn't seem to mind the cold, so I bundle up and off we go. She does not really care for walking in the rain though, so we keep the walks short on rainy days.

@lporter229 I also have some mushers wax but I usually forget to put it on him. I need to keep it with my running gear. I don't ever notice a difference when we use it, other than he hates the smell and sometimes he'll drop down and push his nose along the carpet as if it get rid of the stink. I worry he'll get carpet burn. We run on the roads almost exclusively in the winter and I'd think salt would affect him more than it does, but I've not seen any ill effects. He'll start limping at the slightest of irritations to his feet so I'd notice it.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I've never heard the concept of absorption runs before. I'm not sure I quite understand the goal. Even Google fails me on this one.

@7lenny7

You've heard of them. You understand the goal completely.

They're "easy runs" under a name Olympic marathoner Steve Monaghetti came up with a few weeks ago. :smile:

During our coaching course, the facilitator (head of all our running clubs, coach of the Australian women's world record holder for the 100km) who'd talked to Steve that week said they're using the term now.

Nobody EVER does "easy runs" easy.

As I said, "we're so used to thinking faster is always good, and our fast is never fast enough".

"Easy run" is a terrible name for them. Nobody wants to do them, or when they do, they never do them properly.

An "absorption run" is the 80% of running you do that "absorb the work" of the harder runs you do. They have meaning and purpose.

You heard it here first. :smiley:

Maybe I'm an outlier but I think "easy run" is a great name for an easy run. I do look forward to them and I do take them easy, most of the time, and my HR and pace data bears that out. But the name doesn't really matter as long as the runner understand what the purpose is.

I will join you in outlier land then. :)

Me too.
    Though someone (speed demon) doesn't know the meaning of easy run

She'll probably be staying home with this cold.
  • 7lenny7
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @proudmotherof6 welcome and congratulations!!

I second everything @rheddmobile said.

@rheddmobile that rug of yours looks very similar to ours, but it's slightly different.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This thread looks so cool lol. Here's a little about myself... I'm Lani, 32 years young, mother of 6 and wife of one lol. I just had a baby a week ago and I've became a couch potato. I want to run at least three days out the week and walk the other days, and maybe start off with 10 minutes each time for the first week and slowly increase from there. What do you all think? I use to be a runner but it's been a while since I've been active, plus with me just having a baby I need to start off slow. But I'm willing to take any advice. Please add me as a friend I'm not sure how to add people yet. I look forward to hearing from you all soon. 😊

Welcome to the thread Lani! And congratulations on your newest family member! Do you know when you'll be cleared by your doctor to run?

For new runners a program like C25K (couch to 5k) can be a great start. They recommend working up to walking briskly for 30 minutes before starting the running program, so that's something you can do while recovering. A lot of people who are new log walking as well as running miles, we're easygoing here!

Thx. She gave me the standard 6weeks but I'm kind of hard-headed lol. Is the C25k an app?

There are apps, or you can just print off a plan (there are several different versions of it). Google C25K and pick one that looks good to you. Just listen to your doctor and start slow - you'll benefit in the long term doing it that way.