Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

7lenny7 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I've never heard the concept of absorption runs before. I'm not sure I quite understand the goal. Even Google fails me on this one.

@7lenny7

You've heard of them. You understand the goal completely.

They're "easy runs" under a name Olympic marathoner Steve Monaghetti came up with a few weeks ago. :smile:

During our coaching course, the facilitator (head of all our running clubs, coach of the Australian women's world record holder for the 100km) who'd talked to Steve that week said they're using the term now.

Nobody EVER does "easy runs" easy.

As I said, "we're so used to thinking faster is always good, and our fast is never fast enough".

"Easy run" is a terrible name for them. Nobody wants to do them, or when they do, they never do them properly.

An "absorption run" is the 80% of running you do that "absorb the work" of the harder runs you do. They have meaning and purpose.

You heard it here first. :smiley:

Maybe I'm an outlier but I think "easy run" is a great name for an easy run. I do look forward to them and I do take them easy, most of the time, and my HR and pace data bears that out. But the name doesn't really matter as long as the runner understand what the purpose is.
    I've never heard the concept of absorption runs before. I'm not sure I quite understand the goal. Even Google fails me on this one.

@7lenny7

They're "easy runs" under a name Olympic marathoner Steve Monaghetti came up with a few weeks ago. :smile:

During our coaching course, the facilitator (head of all our running clubs, coach of the Australian women's world record holder for the 100km) who'd talked to Steve that week said they're using the term now.

As I said, "we're so used to thinking faster is always good, and our fast is never fast enough".

"Easy run" is a terrible name for them. Nobody wants to do them, or when they do, they never do them properly.

An "absorption run" is the 80% of running you do that "absorb the work" of the harder runs you do. They have meaning and purpose.

Maybe I'm an outlier but I think "easy run" is a great name for an easy run. I do look forward to them and I do take them easy, most of the time, and my HR and pace data bears that out. But the name doesn't really matter as long as the runner understand what the purpose is.

I will join you in outlier land then. :)

Yes, we all know you both are good runners who know the point of an "easy run". :smile:

But to the less-experienced, the point the experts I mentioned were making was that the name does matter.

They explained that "easy" sounds like it's not an integral part of a person's training plan.

They've both been running and coaching 40 years with great success, so I defer to them.

But I'm not going to hold my breath expecting everyone to type an extra 6 letters any time soon!

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @amymoreorless good luck!! Looking forward to your race report.

Today was a bit frustrating. I went out at 830am intending on a 12 k run. I left water at my usual spot. It was going really well for the first 5.5k. At 6k I started feeling hot and cold. Sort of chills. Usually that's a sign for me I need water. Got to 7k and goty water. Walked for a minute or so, had my water. Started running and started getting spots and felt light headed. Called it quits at 7.4k. It was just too hot for me. Was only 22 degrees (around 70f) but no water for 7k st that heat was too much.

So i need to go out earlier on weekends. Weekdays are OK, I'm out at 530am. But I was lazy this morning haha. I have a hydration vest coming but it won't be here for a few weeks sigh. Oh well 7k is way better than nothing lol

@Avidkeo I run with a small water bottle in my hand in the summer for that exact reason, and make myself sip from it every 5 minutes or so whether I feel thirsty or not. Holding the bottle is a pain, but dehydration is even more of a pain.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0126-10.2k total 62.5k, goal-100k

Long run of the week, not very long. Was kinda hungry starting out, had turned into a carb monster by the time I made it back lol. Carbs! Arghhh!

Got wheedled into an upper body training session with girlfriend after eating everything in sight. Now hungry again. :D
    No run tonight, planned rest day in my plan.

I am trying to finish the edits for my latest book, due out soon so actually taking rest days on purpose. Freaky. Not sure how to eat when I do not run! LOL I am 800 calories over already and more hours of editing left tonight! :smiley:

Maybe you could just eat according to weekly calorie quota? As a fellow writer I really feel your pain.
    LadySaton wrote: »
    I bought a new running belt (hated the first one inbought) so I could take my phone with me and try out Zombies, Run! I like getting the story, but also having access to my music. I need the music to try and get my cadence up (I’m only at 160 and I know it’s “supposed” to be at 180 though I don’t know *why*), but the story is a fun addition. I did have to turn off the zombie chases though! I only run 11 minute miles now and even that normally has my heart averaging nearly 160bpm over the course of a run so throwing in the sprints proved to be a bit too much for me at this point.

Jan 2 (3.1mi run) (4.1mi walk)
    Jan 6 (3.8mi run) (1.2mi walk)
    Jan 7 (1mi run) (.5mi walk)
    Jan 8 (3.1mi run) (.5mi walk)
    Jan 10 (3.1mi run)
    Jan 12 (3.1mi run)
    Jan 16 (3.1mi run)
    Jan 18 (3.1mi run)
    Jan 23 (4.1mi run)
    Jan 25 (3mi run)

(30.5mi/30mi) (6.3mi walk)

I love zombies run, although I don't use it when running (too accustomed to zoning out). However, it's stopped working on my phone since android updated itself. :/
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    1/1: 3
    1/3: 2
    1/5: 1.5
    1/10: 3
    1/11: 3
    1/12: 3
    1/13: 4
    1/18: 2.25
    1/19: 3.15
    1/20: 4.1
    1/21: 3
    1/24: 3
    1/25: 1
    1/26: 1

36/40 miles

I only got in a mile last night, as I spent most of the evening cleaning and preparing for visitors and some other stuff going on this weekend. I felt bad guilty though about slacking on training mileage, so I got up and did a quick mile early this morning too before getting ready. Today’s 5 miler will be pushed to tomorrow afternoon.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Today I got to run 1.77 miles home from the gym. I believe that 2 degrees F is my current PR for coldest run, but I expect to blow that out of the water tomorrow morning. BRRRRRR!

I had a great session at the gym, felt pretty good about the run home, liked how the Decathlon gear I tried out worked, and yet I am grumpy as heck this evening. I suspect it’s a combo of nerves about the race tomorrow and feeling a little achy because of the cold. Maybe a little residual blah from being sick earlier in the week? Anyhow, I typed out some first thoughts on the Decathlon gear since there’d been some discussion but am too tired to edit it and put in links right now so I’ll just say that I was definitely impressed with how the winter hat and pants performed on a short run.

Predicted weather at gun time: -3, feels like -11, probably cloudy, 82% humidity??

January Totals: 34.36 miles

Best wishes on your race - have fun!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@7lenny7

@7lenny7

I will join you in outlier land then. :)

Yes, we all know you both are good runners who know the point of an "easy run". :smile:

But to the less-experienced, the point the experts I mentioned were making was that the name does matter.

They explained that "easy" sounds like it's not an integral part of a person's training plan.

They've both been running and coaching 40 years with great success, so I defer to them.

But I'm not going to hold my breath expecting everyone to type an extra 6 letters any time soon!

Bah, I think you misunderstand. It does not matter how much running time I have. When I first started running and could not complete a 30-second interval I would have said the same thing.

I like "easy run" because it is simple and clear. I know what words mean independent of any specialized running knowledge. That makes it, IMO, a better term.

People will run or not run correctly based on their decisions. The coaches can not control that, they can only communicate the correct info and hope their subject obeys.

If I tell the runner "Hey, do an X minute easy run" or "Hey do an X minute absorption run" - which one you think needs more explanation to a brandy new runner? IMO as a teacher of many years, that is the less optimal solution.

Different things work for different people, so no one answer to rule them all here, but IME simpler is better is a very good rule of thumb.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo, I would think the wow is an impressed wow too! I can't personally imagine someone typing that in a negative, can't believe you would run without a shirt way. You look awesome and strong.

Hoping race day is going well for those racing - and tomorrow too. Thinking of you all braving cold or heat or in between for your races!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    01/01/19 :::: 4.0 :::: 4.0
    01/02/19 :::: 5.3 :::: 9.3
    01/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 9.3
    01/04/19 :::: 3.6 :::: 12.9
    01/05/19 :::: 10.4 :::: 23.3
    01/06/19 :::: 4.3 :::: 27.6
    01/07/19 :::: 3.4 :::: 31.0
    01/08/19 :::: 3.2 :::: 34.1
    01/09/19 :::: 3.8 :::: 37.9
    01/10/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 37.9
    01/11/19 :::: 7.7 :::: 45.6
    01/12/19 :::: 2.0 :::: 47.6
    01/13/19 :::: 3.2 :::: 50.8
    01/14/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 53.8
    01/15/19 :::: 3.8 :::: 57.7
    01/16/19 :::: 4.0 :::: 61.7
    01/17/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 61.7
    01/18/19 :::: 3.5 :::: 65.2
    01/19/19 :::: 9.0 :::: 74.2
    01/20/19 :::: 5.2 :::: 79.4
    01/21/19 :::: 4.3 :::: 83.7
    01/22/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 83.7
    01/23/19 :::: 4.2 :::: 87.9
    01/24/19 :::: 2.2 :::: 90.1
    01/25/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 93.1
    01/26/19 :::: 7.8 :::: 100.9

Cold run in this morning but the wind off the lake was not as bad as I feared. At least this week was finally a flat long run! There were some icy patches so we had to be a bit cautious but the path had been mostly cleared in the park so it was a relief not to have to run over uneven snow or dodge cars on the road. I had planned for about 9-10 miles but I didn't feel great this morning so I cut it a bit short.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    10$ for anyone that needs to purchase something from swim outlet... yes they have running gear and all your tri needs.

Here
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo - I agree on the strong, fierce and focused!!
    If you haven't read or followed her, check out Kelly Roberts and the Sports Bra Squad (She CAN and She DID). She has a blog as well as a youtube channel and there is a Sports Bra Squad day in June.
    http://shecanandshedid.com/about-1/