January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Kimtrooper
    Kimtrooper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Kimtrooper wrote: »

:smiley:@Kimtrooper Finland, brilliant!!! It was 42C here and I was consoling myself that at least we didn't have it as bad as Adelaide. Such a hot night! The coolest it got here was 25C this morning when I went for a gentle run to attempt to acclimatise before heading to Queensland soon.

@Orphia our cool change came through today thank goodness! I’ll be able to drag myself out tomorrow morning and do a decent run without melting lol

Dunno how I’d go in qld with the humidity 😬
    Happy Australia Day 🇦🇺
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @Elise4270 Sock game! Polka dots with Sherpa lining, these are my recovery socks! Ignore my messy rug. BTW I think @7lenny7 posted a picture of his mud room and it looks like he has the same rug in his mud room that I have in mine.
    0hpu8d28dxeh.jpg

Those. Look. Awesome. If I had socks like that, I’d never go to work... hmmm, I might get some.
    ETA. I want a blanket like that. I’m so tired. TGIF. I need to run. This week has been a wash. Maybe next week it’ll be bright and sunny and I’ll manage my days better.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Jan 24 2= 30.21/30 MONTH ONE GOAL ACCOMPLISHED!! TBD walking

Great job! Keep it up!

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I've never heard the concept of absorption runs before. I'm not sure I quite understand the goal. Even Google fails me on this one.

@7lenny7

You've heard of them. You understand the goal completely.

They're "easy runs" under a name Olympic marathoner Steve Monaghetti came up with a few weeks ago. :smile:

During our coaching course, the facilitator (head of all our running clubs, coach of the Australian women's world record holder for the 100km) who'd talked to Steve that week said they're using the term now.

Nobody EVER does "easy runs" easy.

As I said, "we're so used to thinking faster is always good, and our fast is never fast enough".

"Easy run" is a terrible name for them. Nobody wants to do them, or when they do, they never do them properly.

An "absorption run" is the 80% of running you do that "absorb the work" of the harder runs you do. They have meaning and purpose.

You heard it here first. :smiley:

Maybe I'm an outlier but I think "easy run" is a great name for an easy run. I do look forward to them and I do take them easy, most of the time, and my HR and pace data bears that out. But the name doesn't really matter as long as the runner understand what the purpose is.

I have definitely done plenty of easy runs easy. Watching my breathing and heart rate, and slowing to a walk if needed. But ever since I started running, if it's possible to be a lazy runner, I've felt like that's me.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I've never heard the concept of absorption runs before. I'm not sure I quite understand the goal. Even Google fails me on this one.

@7lenny7

You've heard of them. You understand the goal completely.

They're "easy runs" under a name Olympic marathoner Steve Monaghetti came up with a few weeks ago. :smile:

During our coaching course, the facilitator (head of all our running clubs, coach of the Australian women's world record holder for the 100km) who'd talked to Steve that week said they're using the term now.

Nobody EVER does "easy runs" easy.

As I said, "we're so used to thinking faster is always good, and our fast is never fast enough".

"Easy run" is a terrible name for them. Nobody wants to do them, or when they do, they never do them properly.

An "absorption run" is the 80% of running you do that "absorb the work" of the harder runs you do. They have meaning and purpose.

You heard it here first. :smiley:

Maybe I'm an outlier but I think "easy run" is a great name for an easy run. I do look forward to them and I do take them easy, most of the time, and my HR and pace data bears that out. But the name doesn't really matter as long as the runner understand what the purpose is.

I will join you in outlier land then. :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    I too take 'easy run' at its name... typically by the time I hit it in my run plan I am in need of it anyway.

I don't live where it gets really cold and even though I grew up in Idaho and we got snow it was never in the -degrees. So a question for those of you who do and who have dogs. How do you get them to go out or take them for walks and runs? Doesn't it hurt their noses, paws and ears? I can't imagine getting Hobbes the Vizsla out to run in those -degrees... he freezes with a jacket when it is in the high 40's.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I too take 'easy run' at its name... typically by the time I hit it in my run plan I am in need of it anyway.

I don't live where it gets really cold and even though I grew up in Idaho and we got snow it was never in the -degrees. So a question for those of you who do and who have dogs. How do you get them to go out or take them for walks and runs? Doesn't it hurt their noses, paws and ears? I can't imagine getting Hobbes the Vizsla out to run in those -degrees... he freezes with a jacket when it is in the high 40's.

My favorite term for an "easy run" is "a run".

Per the doggos, I don't take my schnauzer yorkie mix out for more than about 5 minutes when the temperature is in low single digits or below. It was -9 this morning and I cut us through the alley for a half-block lap. He doesn't tolerate boots or coats well, unfortunately. He'll occasionally hop along on three legs when it's cold, which freaked me out at first but has never been a sign of any serious damage so now I just take that a sign that we're not going to do more than a block.