January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Have a great marathon this weekend.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    LadySaton wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Definitely no interest in competing for money! I don’t have the drive or time to devote even if I wanted to do it anyhow, so I’ll just be dazzled by the rest of you. 🤪 I read that a faster cadence was related to reducing chances of injury (though I’m not sure why that is) and I like anything that means I don’t hurt myself! My husband runs 3 miles a couple times a week and hurts himself at least every couple months so I want to be proactive. However, if it’s not worth worrying about for a casual runner I’ll just keep my current playlist and stop cycling in faster songs. 👍🏻

180 cadence is a thing that has been wildly overblown. It only applies in certain situations with certain people. Studies have found that most inexperienced runners are great at figuring out what cadence is most efficient depending on how tired they are. For starters, 180 doesn't apply to people running slowly - there's no need for the "sewing machine needle" gait you can see on well intentioned women at my park, who barely pick their feet up but by gosh they are picking them up 180 times a minute because someone told them to! If you're running slower than 10 minute miles, 160 may be more appropriate.

The reasoning behind faster cadence reducing injury is that overstriding can be a cause of injury, and faster cadence makes you less likely to overstride. In your example it sounds like your husband could benefit from shortening his stride and increasing his cadence. Since you are running easy and probably not overstriding, there's no reason for you to try to change cadence right now.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Good luck with your marathon!
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile & @PastorVincent Thanks for the info! I’ve been using this same playlist for awhile because I didn’t feel like I was ready to bump it up anymore. Now I’ll just keep it as is and not worry so much about trying to stay on the beat, especially on hills!
  • proudmotherof6
    proudmotherof6 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @proudmotherof6 welcome and congratulations!!

I second everything @rheddmobile said.

@rheddmobile that rug of yours looks very similar to ours, but it's slightly different.

Thank you 😊
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Sloth day today. Got out and shoveled the driveway; snow was lighter today so that was easier, but it was colder with a stronger wind so my hands got chilled more quickly. All part of winter in the Land of Lake Effect Snow.

On Easy Runs vs. Absorption Runs: Experienced distance runners know what an easy run is. It takes some time to learn, and most talented runners have some trouble learning to run slow enough. Once they learn, it isn't a problem. I see adoption of the term "absorption run" as an attempt to get through to newbie distance runners that there's a serious reason to slow down. It remains to be seen how successful that attempt will be.

One thing that obfuscates the concept of the easy run for general discussion is that there are two types of runners: Those who need to be pushed to work as hard as they should, and those that need to be restrained so they don't work too hard. The term "absorption run" is obviously targeted to the latter group. The first half marathon training program I was in had a lot of rah-rah rhetoric aimed at the former group, and it took me half the training cycle to realize it didn't mean me. EDIT TO ADD: Every app out there is targeted to the former group, because the easiest thing to program and market is do more, go faster, run longer.

@MobyCarp So true, and well said as usual. Definitely agree about apps making people think faster is always better.

I see runners who've even done marathons doing their everyday runs at 10K pace all the time. Two years ago I was doing that.

Beginners and those who've run just a few years see experienced/fast runners calling their runs at this pace "easy" and feel like they need to do that too.

I also doubt people will want to change what they call them. But I think I'll use the term from time to time just to remind myself, and perhaps spark discussion in places.

Thanks for thinking it through.