Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• Sub4_2018
    Sub4_2018 Posts: 52 Member
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Sub4_2018 wrote: »
    I wasn't very present the first couple hours because I was "negotiating" with myself in my head

Oh wow, I could not have described this better. You're sitting there looking around at everyone else with a glass in front of them, and your mind is buzzing. Boy, do I get it. Congrats to you for resisting, and all I can say as a veteran of last year's Dry January, is that it will get easier.

@kittybenn Yes exactly! My mind was racing and it wasn't until (after two hours) when I finally said to myself "you are not drinking tonight" that I was able to quiet those thoughts somewhat. Thank you so much; I'm so glad to hear it gets easier!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    anmille8 wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel extremely tired? I cannot wake up this morning. This could be from a number of reasons but I was just curious if anyone here felt similar?

Yesterday, for seemingly no reason I was exhausted. I slept an average of 8.5 hours every night last week/weekend and barely even left the house. I was just bone tired.

My husband was sick over the holidays that partly included feeling run down and tired so I'm still watching out for that but even today I don't necessarily feel sick so I don't know.

I was super tired saturday I think it was a result of working out a lot and eating less calories due to starting to track my body just wanted to rest I guess that is why rest days are important but I feel pretty normal today.

That's the same for me, just started tracking calories again and working out, though that's only been 30-50 minutes walking on a treadmill so I didn't think it was too much, lol. I don't feel tired at all today!
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    I'm not an alcoholic, but cut out all alcohol a long time ago (except for the VERY occasional glass of wine for a special occasion) because it just undoes so much of what I worked hard to achieve.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I may have a drinking problem because sometimes when I am drinking from my big gym water bottle I spill it over the front of my shirt. I'm working on this but so far every group meeting says I'm not qualified for them.
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    So here we are Day 7 and still AF for the month so far. Been fighting small urges by taking time out to make and drink a cup of hot tea. Easy to do because it’s so friggin’ cold out. Have an outdoor nighttime concert to shoot photos at on Wednesday - it’ll be 42 degrees! Ugh - that’ll be rough without some alcohol in my system to ward off the cold. Wish me luck!
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @springsweet - the one I'm using is the Try Dry app and, yes, it's in pounds! I just convert here if I need the info down to the penny, but one pound is a bit more than $1, so even just knowing pounds is pretty close. I get an email from them every morning, which I like.

And, yes, I felt tired this morning. Just weird, not hungover. I had to push myself to get out of bed at 6:15, which is rare for me.

I have to push myself to get out of bed most every morning. But I was sleepy and dragging even by 10 or 11 am. Not sure why.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Post-weekend check in! My husband and I were planning on having a low-key weekend at home, but we got invited to a party on Saturday night that he really wanted to go to. I managed to stay dry, but it was harder than I thought it would be. I wasn't very present the first couple hours because I was "negotiating" with myself in my head with things like, "maybe you can just have one and nurse it," or "just wait until you get home and then you can have a drink." It took a good couple hours before I felt fine sitting there, but I ended up having a great time and am proud that I was able to stick to it.

Happy Monday, everyone!

This past weekend, I told my hubby that I'm perfectly fine with staying home the whole month of January if that meant less temptations. Because I'm not trying to make this a permanent change, just temporary for the month of January. It would be completely different if I were trying to make a permanent life change I think.
    Does anyone else agree? Or disagree?

I just want to lose a good chunk of weight, that's all. That's the only reason I'm not drinking.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Post-weekend check in! My husband and I were planning on having a low-key weekend at home, but we got invited to a party on Saturday night that he really wanted to go to. I managed to stay dry, but it was harder than I thought it would be. I wasn't very present the first couple hours because I was "negotiating" with myself in my head with things like, "maybe you can just have one and nurse it," or "just wait until you get home and then you can have a drink." It took a good couple hours before I felt fine sitting there, but I ended up having a great time and am proud that I was able to stick to it.

Happy Monday, everyone!

This past weekend, I told my hubby that I'm perfectly fine with staying home the whole month of January if that meant less temptations. Because I'm not trying to make this a permanent change, just temporary for the month of January. It would be completely different if I were trying to make a permanent life change I think.

I just want to lose a good chunk of weight, that's all. That's the only reason I'm not drinking.

I think that it’s good to address the temptations instead of avoid them. What will happen when you lose the chunk of weight and then go out but you haven’t learned how to resist or cope with the situation? You might just fall back into those bad habits.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,545 Member
    [Happy Monday, everyone![/quote]

I just want to lose a good chunk of weight, that's all. That's the only reason I'm not drinking. [/quote]

Yes, me too Springsweet.
    My primary goal on cutting down on alcohol consumption is weight loss.
    I still plan on going to wine tastings, making fabulous Mojitos when my mint comes up in the summer, having the odd hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps in the winter.
    When I started Oct 27.18 on MFP I had fallen into the habit of having a few drinks every evening after work. I was surprised to see when I decided to change, that the first few days were actually very hard! I think that I am now settling in nicely to adding AF days to each month.
    I think that you choosing to go a month AF will reset your patterns. I applaud you, good job! Whatever you have to do to attain that goal is personal to you. If that means not going out then so be it.
    Avoiding temptation sounds like a good plan if it works for you.
    I avoid eating in restaurants more now that I am being conscious of my calories for example. Lol, if I am spending money and going out I would want something good to eat. Not too mention everything is so salty, and so many more calories than the exact same thing that one could make at home. I avoid high calories by cooking for myself.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,545 Member
    My daughter (16) is having academic troubles in school. I’m waiting to meet with her teachers. I have so much anxiety building up over this and other problems she’s going through. Really good kid but a troubled spirit right now. Normally I would go home and have a few glasses of wine to come down from this. I’m going to try very hard not to do that. I’m on a great streak this month and want to be strong through this. ❤️

Best of luck with that. Yes, wine is relaxing, maybe you will find a really nice tea that can offer you something : - )
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    You can do it! I hope the talk goes well and is helpful for both. It is amazing what triggers us from old habits. Tonight we are watching the National College football game. First time in a really long time having no wine while watching football! Here is to hot tea!
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,304 Member
    I'm not an alcoholic, but cut out all alcohol a long time ago (except for the VERY occasional glass of wine for a special occasion) because it just undoes so much of what I worked hard to achieve.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I may have a drinking problem because sometimes when I am drinking from my big gym water bottle I spill it over the front of my shirt. I'm working on this but so far every group meeting says I'm not qualified for them.

Where is the LOL button! Too Funny!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2019
    I missed this thread. Thanks @kittybenn for pointing me toward it. I'm also doing a dry January. I have weight loss and fitness goals (post menopause!) that I suspect this will help with. And, in a post meno world I need to see what sleeping is like if I regularly abstain completely. I suspect even one glass of wine affects my sleep now.

Thanks for having this thread.

Six days done. So far so good.
    School (work) starts tomorrow. So I'm sure I'll be wishing for an after work glass of wine.
    But, the scale is ticking downward, so that's motivating me!

7 days done.
    (copied from the other thread):
    A friend and teacher of mine suggested when we set goals we ask three questions (she got this from a Ted talk):
    1. Can I do it.
    2. will the outcome be what I want
    3. is it worth it.

Regarding my dry January: I can do this, in fact so far it's not hard, just taking some mindfulness. Will the outcome be what I want? I hope so. I hope it will lead to 4-5Lbs loss as I am also dieting to lose some meno-pounds. Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY.