Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    ? I am reading into a lot of posts that it’s rude to decide for yourself you would like to be AF for January
    I don’t understand
    I have been AF for over 10 years
    My friends my family sometimes drink wine with dinner out their choices I don’t consider them rude for drinking in front of me
    And they love knowing that they are free to decide what to drink and I am always available to drive
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My personal goal is to drink less alcohol. Targeting 4 nights per week AF usually M-Th ~16 AF nights per month. DH & I are dropping the nightly bottle of wine with dinner. Listing my social challenges and plans to not go with the flow drinking 2-4 glasses of wine when out with friends!

January accountability ~6 day so far
    Me:(no alcohol) 3 days
    Alcohol: 3 days

This past week Monday thru Sunday I hit my 4 days of AF by reigning it in Sat and Sun! No social challenges next week. It will be just me and my own willpower to bank AF days for the month to offset the challenging weeks ahead.

To view the weekly count toward 4 ... AF Mon Dec 31!
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine. Slipped up and had 2-3 (I call it 12 oz 3 if light pour / 2 if heavy pour) What happen to my resolve to drink water after 1 glass?
    Jan 4 - Traveling with my mom & sister 7 hrs today for a funeral Saturday. Plans to limit to 1 glass of wine was blown. I lacked the willpower which I need to work on. 1 margarita at mexican restaurant, 1 glass of wine in hotel suite everyone gathered at after dinner.
    Jan 5 - Driving 7 hours return trip … AF
    Jan 6 - AF
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @Kittybenn wrote:
    the wine advent calendar is just hilarious and something I probably don't need to know exists, LOL.
    This cracked me up! Very true.

• springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »
    It felt great to wake up today not severely bloated (sodium bomb last night) and also proud of myself to resist.
    Congrats! You are on a roll now. I feel like once you get through the first weekend you've proven something to yourself and you are pretty sure now you can go all the way to the end of the month. I feel exactly the same. Great feeling of accomplishment. Plus my Dry January app keeps telling me how much money and how many calories I've saved. Feels great!

@kittybenn which Dry Jan app are you using? The only one I found so far is a UK one that keeps track in pounds, no dollars. :/
  • springsweet
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @sweetnic - seeing that scale budge a little bit IS super motivating. Exactly what I needed and congrats to you!

I can't wait for this to happen! My scale needs batteries, so I haven't weighed myself at all yet. But I don't feel quite as bloated and gross as usual, so that's good.
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    @Kittybenn wrote:
    the wine advent calendar is just hilarious and something I probably don't need to know exists, LOL.
    This cracked me up! Very true.

It sounds fun though! Crazy creative haha!
  • springsweet
    Options
    Does anyone else feel extremely tired? I cannot wake up this morning. This could be from a number of reasons but I was just curious if anyone here felt similar?
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Sub4_2018 wrote: »
    Post-weekend check in! My husband and I were planning on having a low-key weekend at home, but we got invited to a party on Saturday night that he really wanted to go to. I managed to stay dry, but it was harder than I thought it would be. I wasn't very present the first couple hours because I was "negotiating" with myself in my head with things like, "maybe you can just have one and nurse it," or "just wait until you get home and then you can have a drink." It took a good couple hours before I felt fine sitting there, but I ended up having a great time and am proud that I was able to stick to it.

Happy Monday, everyone!

This is what frustrates me. It's so much harder to make the decision to NOT drink than it is to just drink. Congratulations for sticking it out AND having a good time!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel extremely tired? I cannot wake up this morning. This could be from a number of reasons but I was just curious if anyone here felt similar?

Yesterday, for seemingly no reason I was exhausted. I slept an average of 8.5 hours every night last week/weekend and barely even left the house. I was just bone tired.

My husband was sick over the holidays that partly included feeling run down and tired so I'm still watching out for that but even today I don't necessarily feel sick so I don't know.
  • Sub4_2018
    Sub4_2018 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

This is what frustrates me. It's so much harder to make the decision to NOT drink than it is to just drink. Congratulations for sticking it out AND having a good time!

@MonkeyMel21 Thank you! That's so true. At the end of the night, I just felt emotionally exhausted. Trying to break habits (and form new ones) is hard work!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,554 Member
    Options
    My aim is regulation. I am not doing "dry January", but good for all of you that are!
    Having this thread keeps me accountable.
    I'm not really into deprivation, just trying to be more moderate with food and alcohol.
    My primary reason for AF days is weight loss. Once alcohol is in our bodies our liver concentrates on only that and not on metabolising fat or anything else. Also, being puffy is not ideal : - )
    My goal is 4 - 5 AF days per week.
    I was 16 day AF out of 30 for December, not counting the 31st. Up until October 27th.18 I was having drinks every single day. I have cut back for sure.
    I do plan to have champagne NYE.

December 31st - 1 pumpkin spice cream liqueur, 2 mixed drinks. I did not get to the champagne.
    January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.
    January 5th - AF So curious that each and every day that I have drinks I am down 2 pounds the following day. I think that I read somewhere on this post that it dehydrates you. It comes back the next day of course : - )
    I don't log my AF or not AF until the following morning for the night before.
    January 6th - AF - 5 days out of 6. Very busy week, so more AF days to come.
    January 7th -
    January 8th -
    January 9th -
    January 10th -
    January 11th -
    January 12th -
    January 13th -
    January 14th -
    January 15th -
    January 16th -
    January 17th -
    January 18th -
    January 19th -
    January 20th -
    January 21st -
    January 22nd -
    January 23rd -
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st -

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @springsweet - the one I'm using is the Try Dry app and, yes, it's in pounds! I just convert here if I need the info down to the penny, but one pound is a bit more than $1, so even just knowing pounds is pretty close. I get an email from them every morning, which I like.

And, yes, I felt tired this morning. Just weird, not hungover. I had to push myself to get out of bed at 6:15, which is rare for me.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Sub4_2018 wrote: »
    I wasn't very present the first couple hours because I was "negotiating" with myself in my head

Oh wow, I could not have described this better. You're sitting there looking around at everyone else with a glass in front of them, and your mind is buzzing. Boy, do I get it. Congrats to you for resisting, and all I can say as a veteran of last year's Dry January, is that it will get easier.

• anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Yesterday, for seemingly no reason I was exhausted. I slept an average of 8.5 hours every night last week/weekend and barely even left the house. I was just bone tired.

My husband was sick over the holidays that partly included feeling run down and tired so I'm still watching out for that but even today I don't necessarily feel sick so I don't know.

I was super tired saturday I think it was a result of working out a lot and eating less calories due to starting to track my body just wanted to rest I guess that is why rest days are important but I feel pretty normal today.
  • tatsabrat
    tatsabrat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi! I’m 2 yrs AF (Or as I like to say AFAF) lol. Absolutely LOVE it but I’m soooo bad with sugar and sugar cravings - even after 2 yrs! Congrats and good luck to those trying it out or cutting back or moderating 😁