Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @BuffMom84 - that cravings business comes from Alcohol Change UK. I use their app and get a daily email from them. Here's a link if you want to read more. And, yep, I get the buying alcohol in bulk business. I love Total Wine and always get a big discount when I buy X number of bottles. Alcohol Change (again!) recommends getting it all out of the house. I've got a few bottles sitting around still, but keep taking them to friends' houses whenever I can!
  • cupotea
    cupotea Posts: 89 Member
    Day 5 done and done here. Thursday can be a bit tricky here due to the nearly-the-weekend vibes but he’s being very supportive! Tomorrow will be the real test though :D

Also had a killer headache all day yesterday and after seeing an earlier post from someone about whether anyone had noticed it as a symptom i wonder if it was related to being AF for a few days... I hadn’t connected it but makes sense.

svxx8825r0zf.png
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    Thanks, Miss May, for the "Stumble post". Not only did I stumble, but figuratively landed face first in the gravel.
    After returning to alcohol after 200 days AF, I was doing pretty well, sticking to 2 or 3 three ounce glasses daily. Then I listened to the sushi...it was only 400 calories, leaving plenty of room in my diet plan for an extra bit of white wine. The "extra bit" left me looking at a missing 3/4 of a 1.5 liter bottle. Must have been me that consumed it, since Cat hates the smell of wine...
    Sigh, get up, dust off, and shamble on....
    Bravo to all those who continue to pursue their goals despite enablers, in-laws, job issues, and also the *kitten* sushi.

👍 You got this!

• winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Finding I have much more motivation now that I’m not planning a Sri k after stressful work days!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    Start of day 11 here 😊 This is also.the start of the weekend which could bring problems since it's going to be a crummy weekend weather wise and when that happens we usually Netflix and have a few. Luckily my kids have basketball today and tomorrow so I have at least have activity that doesn t involve drinking so maybe once the night hits I won't want it. Fingers crossed to surviving weekend #2! Best of luck to you all!
  • sweetnic
    sweetnic Posts: 66 Member
    cathipa wrote: »
    Start of day 11 here 😊 This is also.the start of the weekend which could bring problems since it's going to be a crummy weekend weather wise and when that happens we usually Netflix and have a few. Luckily my kids have basketball today and tomorrow so I have at least have activity that doesn t involve drinking so maybe once the night hits I won't want it. Fingers crossed to surviving weekend #2! Best of luck to you all!

I have been been af since January, and have only had a few times when I wanted a glass of wine and didn’t have one. But... I am worried about this weekend, too! I live in Virginia, and snow is coming! I’m going to have to take it day by day for drinking AND snacking.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    @cupotea, what app is that?
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Day 11 AF! I am in the same boat as those of you mentioning bad weather this weekend. We're expecting snow tonight and normally for me that would mean a glass (or 3!) of wine in front of the fireplace. Sparkling water will have to do, although that won't keep my insides nice and warm. I wish I could tolerate warm teas like some of you do, but I just don't like them.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    anglilacs wrote: »
    7/10 days AF. Today was pretty easy to say no. Nice to have those kind of days sprinkled in with the harder ones.

I am 7/10 as well and I definitely appreciate the easy days too. My husband was out on Wednesday and Thursday evening at a work function that his company does annually where they bring in the employees that work out of town. The second evening is always a drunk fest for them. Wednesday night was pretty easy for me but last night I wanted a glass of wine because I felt good from my evening run and I also knew he would be coming home pretty tipsy (no worries, he took an Uber). I was able to resist, drinking Earl Grey tea instead. It was decaffinated, but I was still awake most of the night.

I know that many people have claimed better sleep since going alcohol free, but does anyone else find that they actually sleep worse without it? One glass of wine before bed and I usually don't wake up during the night, but on nights that I don't drink, I am up off and on all night long.

@cupoftea I may have missed this, but is that an app you are using to track your alcohol intake? If so, which one? I like the idea of distinguishing between alcohol days and "heavy drinking". i want to limit my alcohol days but I want to completely eliminate any days that I would classify as "heavy drinking", or more than 3 drinks in one day.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    @lporter229 My biggest fear doing a Dry January was not being able to sleep. I definitely slept worse without drinking for the first week. It has slowly improved and last night I slept all night except for my dog getting me up one time. But I was the same, a glass of wine before bed and I slept like a baby all night long. I hear a lot of people who drink say they don't sleep well, they toss and turn all night, wake up at 2am, etc, but that was never the case for me.