Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @sweetnic - seeing that scale budge a little bit IS super motivating. Exactly what I needed and congrats to you!
  • kittybenn
    cathipa wrote: »
    It felt great to wake up today not severely bloated (sodium bomb last night) and also proud of myself to resist.
    Congrats! You are on a roll now. I feel like once you get through the first weekend you've proven something to yourself and you are pretty sure now you can go all the way to the end of the month. I feel exactly the same. Great feeling of accomplishment. Plus my Dry January app keeps telling me how much money and how many calories I've saved. Feels great!
  • kittybenn
    MissMay wrote: »
    @kittybenn congrats on dropping a few pounds. That is a nice motivator. It is so nice to see you back in here again getting and giving support.

Thank you so much! And appreciate all your posts as well!
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    My personal goal is to drink less alcohol. Targeting 4 nights per week AF usually M-Th ~16 AF nights per month. DH & I are dropping the nightly bottle of wine with dinner. Listing my social challenges and plans to not go with the flow drinking 2-4 glasses of wine when out with friends!

January accountability ~5 day so far
    Me:(no alcohol) 2 days
    Alcohol: 3 days

To view the weekly count toward 4 ... AF Mon Dec 31!
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine. Slipped up and had 2-3 (I call it 12 oz 3 if light pour / 2 if heavy pour) What happen to my resolve to drink water after 1 glass?
    Jan 4 - Traveling with my mom & sister 7 hrs today for a funeral Saturday. Plans to limit to 1 glass of wine was blown. I lacked the willpower which I need to work on. 1 margarita at mexican restaurant, 1 glass of wine in hotel suite everyone gathered at after dinner.
    Jan 5 - Driving 7 hours return trip … AF
    Jan 6 - Plans to be AF
    Jan 7 -
    Jan 8 -
    Jan 9 -
    Jan 10 -
    Jan 11 -
    Jan 12 -
    Jan 13 -
    Jan 14 -
    Jan 15 -
    Jan 16 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine or beer
    Jan 17 - Bingo fundraiser @ winery - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 18 -
    Jan 19 -
    Jan 20 -
    Jan 21 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 22 - Dining out club - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 23 -
    Jan 24 -
    Jan 25 -
    Jan 26 -
    Jan 27 -
    Jan 28 -
    Jan 29 -
    Jan 30 -
    Jan 31 - Retiring from company after 30 years - plan to celebrate but limit 2 glasses
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    My aim is regulation. I am not doing "dry January", but good for all of you that are!
    Having this thread keeps me accountable.
    I'm not really into deprivation, just trying to be more moderate with food and alcohol.
    My primary reason for AF days is weight loss. Once alcohol is in our bodies our liver concentrates on only that and not on metabolising fat or anything else. Also, being puffy is not ideal : - )
    My goal is 4 - 5 AF days per week.
    I was 16 day AF out of 30 for December, not counting the 31st. Up until October 27th.18 I was having drinks every single day. I have cut back for sure.
    I do plan to have champagne NYE.

December 31st - 1 pumpkin spice cream liqueur, 2 mixed drinks. I did not get to the champagne.
    January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.
    January 5th - AF So curious that each and every day that I have drinks I am down 2 pounds the following day. I think that I read somewhere on this post that it dehydrates you. It comes back the next day of course : - )
    I don't log my AF or not AF until the following morning for the night before.
    January 6th -
    January 7th -
    January 8th -
    January 9th -
    January 10th -
    January 11th -
    January 12th -
    January 13th -
    January 14th -
    January 15th -
    January 16th -
    January 17th -
    January 18th -
    January 19th -
    January 20th -
    January 21st -
    January 22nd -
    January 23rd -
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st -
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    My aim is regulation. I am not doing "dry January", but good for all of you that are!
    Having this thread keeps me accountable.

January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.

Oh goodness @dawnbgethealthy, sorry to hear you were ill Friday night. Good vibes your way for a better weekend.

Haha MissMay, you are the best!
    Yes, it was self-inflicted. I am 58 and still puke if I have more than 3 drinks. I guess that I have never grown a tolerance to it. My body just gets rid of anything after 3, so I rarely go for that 4th. Maybe becoming more AF I temporarily forgot.

BTW, how do you all do the @ the person's name? When I tried that I didn't get you.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    January 5th - AF So curious that each and every day that I have drinks I am down 2 pounds the following day. I think that I read somewhere on this post that it dehydrates you. It comes back the next day of course : - )
    I don't log my AF or not AF until the following morning for the night before.

Hey there @dawnbgethealthy , I am no Dr. But I do read a lot and I have read that when drinking alcohol people tend to not eat as much and or not drink as much water. Alcohol is dehydrating. Water is hydrating and tends to get stored into our muscles.
    I had come accross this same thing when drinking. At first, years ago I loved it, but for all the wrong reasons since it is not a lasting weight loss.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    I'm glad I didn't drink last night and it wasn't even that difficult. I watched a movie with the kids and went to bed at a decent hour for once. I didn't really realize it, but at the end of last year I was drinking every Friday and Saturday night (and sometimes Thursdays!). I felt worse when I woke up this morning than I did yesterday morning, but I notice that happens sometimes. I haven't exercised on a Sunday in a long time, so I'm going to today.

One of my problems last year was that I didn't really keep myself accountable. I was on this thread and posted a lot in the beginning, but eventually I stopped logging in at all. So this year, as long as this thread exists, I will be posting more, even just to check in once in a while. I think the sobriety app will help too. I felt guilty logging those drinks on Friday night (and the calories! Wow!).

That is great! I am on dry January! I have been drinking wine daily cooking and with dinner. Time to make a change.
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    I'm glad I didn't drink last night and it wasn't even that difficult. I watched a movie with the kids and went to bed at a decent hour for once. I didn't really realize it, but at the end of last year I was drinking every Friday and Saturday night (and sometimes Thursdays!). I felt worse when I woke up this morning than I did yesterday morning, but I notice that happens sometimes. I haven't exercised on a Sunday in a long time, so I'm going to today.

One of my problems last year was that I didn't really keep myself accountable. I was on this thread and posted a lot in the beginning, but eventually I stopped logging in at all. So this year, as long as this thread exists, I will be posting more, even just to check in once in a while. I think the sobriety app will help too. I felt guilty logging those drinks on Friday night (and the calories! Wow!).

I’m hoping to find a better sleeping pattern out of this; today is the first Sunday in ages I didn’t lounge most of the morning. I took the kids hiking on a new trail at our local state park.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    This is a great online drinking awareness site. Check it out https://drinkaware.co.uk
    Even though I am in the United States I find this UK site very helpful.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,301 Member
    I am finding that my taste and smell senses are becoming stronger since cutting back on the alcohol. Has anyone else noticed the same?
    I stuck with my 1 drink last night, 1 shot of TQ... feeling good this morning, even with only 5 hours sleep.
    Tonight might be more of a challenge...
    Yes, I seem to have acquired better senses since having less alcohol also. Hope last night was not to much of a challenge for you to get through.

Kinda blew it last night but today was a new day, and happy to say a dry one despite having a little family dinner party. We finished our Christmas celebration with my husband's family, they even gifted me with some wine. The bottle will have to wait until I am ready for it. 😇