JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,362 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone... I'm having my second biopsy Wednesday evening at 6:00 p.m.
    I have spoken to my family that I will not be "driving Mrs. Daisy" for the rest of the week.
    I'm totally going to take care of myself. I have canned soup so that I won't be overeating
    and bottled water by my bed, so I can really take it easy and heal.

Mammogram was last week and breasts are still tender . All in All, I welcome these
    tests because my body is worth all the efforts I can put in to have a life of quality.
    I will be on meds so I'm not sure if my log in streak will continue... Lol…. But I will try.
    I'm Thankful, and Optimistic🙌🙏
    Love all of you.

Mary, I obviously missed some big news....can I ask what biopsy is of? I didn’t realize there was a first biopsy! Prayers and gentle hugs my friend. ❤️
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I'm really tired of being hungry pretty much every day and STILL making minimal progress. And then teaching stuff on top of that. I get absolutely enraged at the casual assumption that as a teacher, I should donate hours and hours and HOURS of my own uncompensated time to my employer. At least, if I want to be halfway decent. And if I "really care," then teaching should be my life, apparently.

And it grates on me even more that I have to keep my mouth shut about this if I want to keep my job - which is something I do enjoy doing. I have exactly ZERO confidence that if I point out that THIS IS A PROBLEM, that my colleagues and I are frustrated and feel exploited and overwhelmed and disrespected, my concerns will be met with platitudes about passion and helping children and making a difference. And nothing will change.

... except that I'll be on the Bad List. (Again.)

Hugs @clicketykeys - from your posts we know just how hard you work and how much you have on your shoulders. And I know how draining teaching is. You have to be energetic and inspirational in the room with students all day and spend so many hours planning, assessing etc. Your dedication shines through to me and I wish your employer could see it, recognise it, pay you accordingly, and realise how unsustainable it is! I have no answers - we aren’t compensated well in the UK and it is so hard sometimes. I just try and tell myself that at least I know I’m doing something worthwhile and my work day never drags!

Re being hungry all the time, have you looked much into macros and/or volume eating? I’ve been really paying attention to what seems to keep me full recently. After plugging away on the protein due to popular consensus that it is filling, I noticed my fat macros were really low and adding more healthy fat like nuts and olive oil seems to be helping. Also, I try to fill up with low cal volume. I love spinach and can have 200g+ for very few calories so I throw that into the mix for dinner most nights.

I wish I had more answers to make you feel better. I hope the rest of the week improves and you can schedule in a proper rest and some self-care this weekend. Xx
  • Faebert
    Options
    Hi Everyone... I'm having my second biopsy Wednesday evening at 6:00 p.m.
    I have spoken to my family that I will not be "driving Mrs. Daisy" for the rest of the week.
    I'm totally going to take care of myself. I have canned soup so that I won't be overeating
    and bottled water by my bed, so I can really take it easy and heal.

Mammogram was last week and breasts are still tender . All in All, I welcome these
    tests because my body is worth all the efforts I can put in to have a life of quality.
    I will be on meds so I'm not sure if my log in streak will continue... Lol…. But I will try.
    I'm Thankful, and Optimistic🙌🙏
    Love all of you.

Mary, I obviously missed some big news....can I ask what biopsy is of? I didn’t realize there was a first biopsy! Prayers and gentle hugs my friend. ❤️

I think I missed this too @maryrobinson40. Thinking of you - keep strong lovely lady xx
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Stick to food plan :neutral: I had two sweets at work that were being given out, they were ones I used to have as a kid. They added up to quite a few cals for such tiny things!
    - Be in the green :neutral: 100 over
    - 3+ bottles water :smile:
    - No alcohol :smile:

- No eating whilst standing :smile:
    - Savour every bite :neutral:
    - Monitor fullness after each meal :neutral:
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving :/ I didn't really think about this when the sweets tempted me!
    - Give myself credit! :smile: I considered slipping from my plan and going out for dinner with boyfriend, as I was a little fed up. I even suggested it to him and he was up for it. And then I realised that actually I want to be slim more than I wanted a burger, so I decided not to. And then yes I did give myself credit :smile:

- 45 minute lunch break :neutral: Only 30, some work took a little longer than expected
    - Meditate :/ Due to shorter lunch break
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :smile:
    - Finish work at 6.30pm :neutral: 6.45
    - Beck diet solution :/ I wasn't feeling well when I got home so just flopped
    - Gratitude journal :smile:
    - Lights off by 11 :/ Not really a good excuse, wanted to watch the Good Place... Went about 11.30 in the end

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 4 bottles water
    - No alcohol
    - Run to work

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Monitor fullness after each meal
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving
    - Give myself credit!

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - 2+ of French podcast, article, book
    - Leave work at 5.15pm
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11

Weekly calorie balance: 100 in red

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I'm really tired of being hungry pretty much every day and STILL making minimal progress. And then teaching stuff on top of that. I get absolutely enraged at the casual assumption that as a teacher, I should donate hours and hours and HOURS of my own uncompensated time to my employer. At least, if I want to be halfway decent. And if I "really care," then teaching should be my life, apparently.

And it grates on me even more that I have to keep my mouth shut about this if I want to keep my job - which is something I do enjoy doing. I have exactly ZERO confidence that if I point out that THIS IS A PROBLEM, that my colleagues and I are frustrated and feel exploited and overwhelmed and disrespected, my concerns will be met with platitudes about passion and helping children and making a difference. And nothing will change.

... except that I'll be on the Bad List. (Again.)

I'm sorry you're having a tough time. I have quite a few teacher friends and I know they struggle as well - you are definitely not alone in how you feel about this. There does indeed seem to be a casual assumption that teachers just do ridiculous hours. I don't know where this came from, I feel like it wasn't this way when I was a kid but maybe I just never noticed - I went home at 3 after all!

Do you think changing schools at some point might help at all? It may not change the overall workload/ expectations, but it sound like it's the attitude of those in charge that particularly upsets you, more than the actual work? It feels like if you had a more sympathetic management that admitted that your job is tough and were more appreciative of the effort, you might feel better about it. Or maybe not. Or maybe managements like that don't exist! Just a thought.

Oh, and don't worry about being on the Bad List. I'm frequently on the Bad List. >:) Generally speaking I find that good managers appreciate honesty. And bad ones aren't really worth worrying about, in the end. They might have power over you for a time, but in the future you will look back and think 'what an idiot that manager I used to have was'. Jobs are temporary - your integrity will stay with you.

And just to conclude, you are super awesome. Don't forget that, ever :smile:
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Wednesday 6 February

Log accurately
    Stay in the green
    5 fruit and veg
    Fitbit excercise goals
    January water challenge
    Modified February nighttime challenge
  • Faebert
    Options
    Quick goal-setting before work:

Wednesday goals:
    - morning run ✅ longest ever at nearly 5 miles!!
    - Early to work - staff choir plus print dragon masks
    - Meet E mum and prep cooking activity
    - IM meeting
    - Assembly prep
    - Planning time in afternoon - veg snack only
    - Water!
    - Eyebrows and tanning after work?
    - Chase other mum re joint party prep
    - Re read 2019 goals - stay mindful
    - Early night

Have a great day everyone. X
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @maryrobinson40

I admire your strength and positivity. Wishing you all the best
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 976 Member
    Options

So JFT

Log on mfp and stay in the green Logged, but in the red.
    Do exercises, still having a lot of pain Did a few, not enough
    Walk with a friend Yes, slow though!
    Look after son's pets Yes, and handed them all back last night :)
    Prepare house for them hopefully coming home Yes

Realised I've been doing that thing of just eating toast instead of making a proper meal because I've been busy. It's just an excuse because I don't really like cooking. So need to get back to the big pile of vegetables on my plate!

JFT 6th February

Log accurately
    Stay within calories
    Make a proper meal tonight
    Get the book back out and do some more exercises
    Walk to the shops
    Do some major housework
    Sort out some paperwork which is looking very messy

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,111 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »

So my general goals are (TUES RECAP)
    - 8 glasses of water ❎
    - tidy up and put laundry away!😁
    - exercise!! ❎(This can only be done if i tidy up!!!!)

Ooookay so i struggled with the water and seriously cba exercising (i know i know!) I was even reluctant to log but ive just done it now and i have 300 left!

So today, focuz on water and exercise and LOG asap!
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,071 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    2/5/19 Tuesday
    Weight: 158 lbs.
    *work into my work day-back exercises including planks & crunches. :( forgot I was going to do this.
    *pushups :( Same thing as above.
    *Triceps dips :( Same thing as above.
    *cardio dance class, or Zumba either with a class or DVD. :D Yes! Forced myself to go to Cardio Dance class. Kept remembering all of you wonderful peeps, here, on JFT!!!! So, Thank you. Kept telling myself that it's just an hour class...."I can do anything for an hour". And, guess what?! I really enjoyed this class!!! Yes, it was above my beginner level, yes, I look like carp, but I did it and enjoyed it. Great music! Great instructor! Fun! Even did lots of jumping jacks, etc.
    January red cup challenge :D Drank 7 glasses, today!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stay in the green :D Yep.
    Bed by midnight :( Nope

JFT 2/6/19 Wednesday
    *Weigh:
    *work into my work day-back exercises including planks & crunches.
    *pushups
    *Triceps dips
    *January red cup challenge
    *Stay in the green
    *Bed by midnight

• awhit4842
    awhit4842 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    JFT Tuesday
    1. Log all food 👍
    2. 150oz water👍
    3. Get to the gym👍
    4. No after dinner snacking👎 husband brought home leftover cake from work which I was unable to resist

JFT Wednesday
    1. Log all food
    2. Drink 150oz water
    3. Workout at home
    4. 1 after dinner snack

• Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    toaljasa wrote: »
    Yea for your 158! Good for you.
    Have you tried some of the flavored sparkling waters such as Le Croix? I find them to be quite refreshing and tasty and they get me 12 ounces closer to my water goal!

Thank you!!

re: Sparkling waters -- I'm a weirdo who doesn't like sparkling waters....That's a great idea for other JFT sisters and brothers, tho.

Thanks, again.

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,111 Member
    Options
    Elbee1 wrote: »
    Yea for your 158! Good for you.
    Have you tried some of the flavored sparkling waters such as Le Croix? I find them to be quite refreshing and tasty and they get me 12 ounces closer to my water goal!

Thank you!!

re: Sparkling waters -- I'm a weirdo who doesn't like sparkling waters....That's a great idea for other JFT sisters and brothers, tho.

Thanks, again.

I use just a no added sugar squash, so its not just plain water, i think 1 cup is like 2 calories?
  • 13ecca4
    13ecca4 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    JFT – small goals to start off with
    Log all my food on MFP and stay under my calorie goal
    Go to my PT session tonight
    Download happy scale and start tracking my weight trends
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Checking in from Tuesday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Check WLGs. Update on board.
    3. Class 1-2: Students return work. Character list. Villains poster? Practice with verb phrases. HW: Ideal Man.
    4. Planning: A - Duo. Update unit 2 plans and print. B - Grade classwork C - Enter grades. D - Two discussion comments. Blog post. Print materials for MLA practice.
    5. Class 4: Grammar - verb phrases. MLA practice. HW: CREDIT.
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Zumba 5:30. Draft Week 5 project. Call parents. QUIZ!
    8. Gratitude journal. Update Goodreads Friday. Write out References for reflection essay.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Wed lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

JFT Wednesday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Take shoes. Update JFT by 7:00.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. PRINT PRs FOR 1-2! Check - is C here?
    3. Class 1-2: Starter: Villain poster. Continue with challenge book project. Homework: Ideal Woman. Thursday's homework: Hero-Villain showdown. Challenge book project, Acts I-V, any makeup work, Socratic preparation FIND OUT WHO WILL BE GONE FRIDAY. THEY MUST TURN WORK IN THURSDAY TO SUB.
    4. Planning: A - Duo. Update unit 2 plans and print. B - Grade classwork C - Enter grades. D - PRINT SUB PLANS! Call parents.
    5. Class 4: Verb phrase practice, MLA scavenger hunt with printouts and 2 articles for Thursday. Grammar closer - review verb phrases. HW: Respect, verb phrases. Thursday: verb phrase practice, in-text citations, read 2 articles & write response that uses in-text citations. HW: Growing Up.
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Strength 4:30. Draft Week 5 project. Put laundry away. Exam. Choose sources for reflection essay.
    8. Gratitude journal. Update Goodreads Friday. Write out References for reflection essay.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Thu lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    Today: 188.6

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others?
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Feb 7 12:00 w new. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for FTN (Feb?) Audition for Avenue Q March. Audition for Christie March. Audition for Mamma Mia ??? Need sub for May 2, opening day.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling.

@Snowflake1968 - Goodreads may be available as an app, but I just use the website. It helps that my brother updates his regularly, and that I am in charge of "Book Club" at school. Clubs meet every other week, so I get a chance to do a little extra reading, update my GR account, and browse for books to add to my TBR.

Ugh, I forgot that it's not a quiz this week, it's the final exam. I want to wait until I have more time for that. So I'm going to try to do that tonight. And I'm going to see if I can't get my husband to make a half-recipe of saag this weekend so that I can get the entire pot weighed and enter it into the database as a food, so that I can use it as an ingredient in some of my prepped meals. Ditto for a consistent way of making the rice/quinoa pilaf that I use as the base.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Wednesday! For yesterday:

1. Go for a walk on my lunch break 😊
    2. Stay within my calorie goal 😊

I'm pretty happy I did both of these as I struggle with consistency. I'm going to up the challenge and add a couple more.

JFT 2/6:

1. Go for a walk on my lunch break
    2. Stay within my calorie goal
    3. Leave work by 5:30 (I have a problem of working late way too often)
    4. Do a load of laundry
    5. Put away the clean laundry

Have a great day!
  • alexhayg
    alexhayg Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    alexhayg wrote: »
    I am struggling this week. Weight loss has pretty much ground to a halt. Still being good and sticking to my calories but I am a very points driven person so when I don't see the results in the numbers I feel defeated.

I have been at the same weight, give or take 3lbs since October! I was down 30lbs for the year. In the past, I, too, would have been defeated and would have given up, and probably would have regained everything. But this time it is different, because I have come to realize I am on a lifelong journey for my health, my spirit, and my mind.

Working hard at exercising, taking every bite captive with mindful eating, drinking plenty of water, practicing self-discipline, is hard work but when we see the results we do a happy dance. But the fight really begins when we plateau...when it seems we are still doing the same routine but we aren't seeing the results we are expecting and deserving of.

But. You are seeing results. You haven't lost hope (you are fearing you will, and that's why you are on here, yea!), you are still strategizing (exercising), evaluating (hmm...I've started eating on these puddings that I wasn't doing before...), which means: You Are Still Moving Forward! And that's the aim...move forward.

In the meantime, relish where you are right now. Be grateful for how far you've come. This may be your biggest challenge yet: The Waiting Challenge. Continue to do what you are doing, read a book or listen to podcasts on something that will improve your mind, emotion, or spirit. Begin a new hobby, find a different place to walk. Remember, the scale is a bunch of numbers on a hunk of metal. Don't let the scale control your actions, your moods, or declare you a winner or a loser.

Even while we are waiting, we can still move forward :) And we know that eventually our body is going to begin releasing the weight again. And then one day we will start dropping the weight and we can look back and say, "Wow! Look at how much I've grown as a person! I did it!"

Peace and joy.

eqttlhbdj4uy.png

rvfe0uwcvrrz.png

Thank you!! I really appreciate the encouragement :):)

You are quite right, I should appreciate the healthier lifestyle and recognise the changes that have happened rather than the ones that haven't happened yet

One day at a time, as they say :)
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Met my JFT goal yesterday.
    One glass of wine, no snacks after dinner.

JFT Wednesday
    No second glass of wine, no snacks after dinner, no chips before dinner.

Thanks for welcoming me! Love the JFT concept.