WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Roz--welcome to this fast-moving group of darling women! Visit often, and join in as you like. I'm in the US, so I had to look up what three and a half stone was--about 49 lbs. Of course, we're behind the modern world still using pounds. I prefer whichever measurement is in smaller increments; it seems more accurate that way. Plus, it's easier to see progress losing 49 lbs, rather than 3.5 stone.

Bonnie--I had the same issue on my computer yesterday. I'm not technical in the slightest, so I called my husband to fix it. He "cleared the cache" and it started working again. I don't know what that entails, but you might be able to google it.

Barbara--Bullwinkle is adorable! Seeing all the dog pictures on here makes me think about adding another dog to the family. Vader would probably freak out and terrorize the poor thing, so that's not an option at this point.

Heather--I want to come to your house for dinner. Lucky I've never left the country--except in my imagination.

Aliza--Welcome to the group; come back and visit often. Keeping three pounds off is still three pounds. When I gained back my weight, it brought friends. I finally realized I need to be vigilant the rest of my life. For me, it's a matter of life and death, with diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol waiting for me if I gain again. Your planned trip with your husband sounds like a once in a lifetime experience--I'm envious! My husband has no interest in traveling after retirement. He says he can see everything on the internet, without the hassle and expense. (sigh) I might have to find a girlfriend or two if I ever want to leave home.

Machka--"The best way to get things done is to simply begin." I love that, but I'm not as successful living it. There's a mental block I have--and passed on to my son--with starting. My mind builds things up until the tasks are insurmountable. Like your appointment scheduling, where one thing depends on another, needing to be in a certain order, I do that to myself. I hate it. Like...I can't put away the box of Christmas decorations, because I need to take down the outside lights, which means I need to climb a ladder, which means I'll need to change clothes to tangle with my tree....which means my decorations may be up longer than yours, and I'm not nearly as busy.

Lanette--I see your name, ihscapil is far from Lanette, and I wonder if it stands for something, like AHMOD does.

My in-laws are gone and I'm not sure when they'll return--maybe as long as a few months. I'd be happy to have them here indefinitely, but I think they want their own home and space. Not to mention the storage fees are pretty high. I like having people in the house. I'm going to be lost when my daughter leaves home.

I'm down another pound, making 72 total. I really wish diet could target areas; I need to lose belly fat, but I'm losing it everywhere else. I've tried doing crunches or sit-ups, but those muscles are gone. In fact, many of the floor exercises I used to do cause me pain now. It's just going to take time.

Cari in N. Texas

I have the same problem with losing weight around the middle. . For me I know it is due to excess cortisol. I have not been tested but I have many of the symptoms, I carry my weight in my torso and the back of my neck. I have a flushed face and am recovering from a bout of rosacea. I was quite irritable up until a week ago. My blood pressure was higher too. Getting stress and my reaction to stress is top priority for me because other health problems can occur.

Exercise, laughing, good sleep, relaxation techniques can also help reduce these levels.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Tracy--I work all different *kitten* 8-10 & 12 hours depinding on the day.

Karen in NY--What SIL wrote is beautiful.

Kylia--Keeping Aubrey and family in prayer. Sounds like dad has a very understanding boss. Sure pray he gets paid for these days so that it doesn't cause more problems.

Bonnie--Glad Ollie is doing well and not upset about his little trip.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • countrycreek
    countrycreek Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    For those of you who like to watch docu-series on health like the Broken Brain and Real Skinny on Fat, I just discovered Dr. Mercola is also hosting a nine day free one also starting January 15th. Here's the link -- https://www.livelongerfeelbetter.com/.

I have a hunch he'll have some of the same presenters as the Real Skinny on Fat series. I signed up for it, so we'll see how it goes.

Lanette
    SW WA State

Thank you.. I just signed up!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Your table looks elegant, and your menu is intriguing.. :star:

SuzOh: This is a learning process. The thing that keeps me in line is logging my food. I don’t let myself eat or snack unless I put it in my MFP food diary. The diary is kept on my phone and it is always with me—which allows no excuses. Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. If you go over, do better the next time. :flowerforyou:

I made an appointment for a haircut because I really need it, but the appointment isn’t until next Wednesday. I’ll have to go along as I am until then—shaggy.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    g1f21r728u1p.jpg
    5llcx3kueb8d.jpg
    Everything but didn't put the rice in the picture, it was in the microwave, oppsy!
    It was heaven, and I messaged Lanette saying I felt like I was on some drug, it was euphoric! Protein buzz? Haahaa
    💗Rebecca
  • Rozbee1
    Rozbee1 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else has problems with the app not refreshing the community and friends on forum properly. Its not done it properly all day 😕 or is it me being docile as usual 🙄

Thinking of you all
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Rozbee1 wrote: »
    Has anyone else has problems with the app not refreshing the community and friends on forum properly. Its not done it properly all day 😕 or is it me being docile as usual 🙄

Thinking of you all

What I have to do is click on the current page, so then it refreshes. 👍
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3<3

• Rozbee1
    Rozbee1 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our jolly group @okiewoman510. Im doing 5:2 fastin.
    Have a Happy day 😀
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I went to my hair appointment today and afterward lunch at In n Out Burger. I get a burger protein style which means no bun but wrapped in lettuce instead. Then I went to Costco because it is in the same part of town.

I live in yoga pants when home and I was happy to see Costco had their Kirkland brand available today. What excited me was that sizes included xs - xxl but also lengths short, avg and tall in each size. For some items you don’t have to be a Costco member to order from them online. Here is the link:

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Ladies-Pull-On-Active-Pant.product.100400274.html

Sue, you are very welcome. I saw your message earlier when I was out, but it is not showing up now. Yes, you read and interpreted the information correctly.

I did walk and weight train after I returned home this afternoon.

Another option to increase steps is a mini stepper. I sometimes use one to increase activity when my fitness tracker tells me it’s time to move. I have it stashed behind the bar which serves as a stand up desk. I can continue to read or be on my tablet or watch TV at the same time.

Cathy in Arlington, TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - YUM! I really like how you show us the "prepped" meat and veggies and then the finished plate. I want to reach through my screen, and grab it.

Heather
    - love your table and your menu - your DH is quite creative. Does he make menus like that often?

Yvonne - I just saw a commercial on the cool sculpting. Looks impressive. My question would be - are the results guaranteed to last? I'll bet the clinics that do it give free evaluations. Or at least they should!

Margaret - There was once a little thriving town not far from us with a lumber mill as the main industry. When the mill burned in the 1920's, it was not rebuilt and the slowly houses went away - the fields and forest reclaimed what was originally theirs. We see patches of daffodils along the road and in the fields where those homesteads once stood.

Tracey - thanks for sharing your bathroom memories. My grandmother always preferred to use her outhouse instead of running into the house when she was busy outdoors. She also preferred bathing in a big washtub in the summer - she kept it in an outbuilding - her "wash-house" where her ringer washing machine was kept. I remember her heating a bucket of water in a galvanized pail on her kitchen stove and toting out to the wash-house to take her bath, even though she had a perfectly fine bathroom and bathtub in her house. All of that exercise probably contributed to her relatively healthy 96 years on this earth.

Cari - my "lhscapil" is simply a mass of letters from my first name, maiden name, middle name, and last name all mushed together. I like Barbara's AHMOD, it tells a story!

I told my DH this morning that I was having some anxiety over the possibility of his son visiting and I told him why - airport pickup, both of our health issues & energy, beds. He said it would up to his son to find transportation from an airport, neither of us could be expected to make that drive. He then admitted that he hoped the son would not visit. I have a hunch DH will tell him he'll let him know when it's a good time and that good time won't come. I think DH was relieved that I expressed my feelings on it.

Lanette
    Chilly & rainy SW WA State where the days are a little bit longer for sure!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    So I wasn't as far behind as I thought, forgot I read while walking this morning!

To whoever was having issues logging new foods on their phone (?) Mine is acting up tonight. It wouldn't let me log new foods nor get on community! Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

Aliza- Welcome! Sounds so exciting. I just mentioned to another friend that I think yoga would be beneficial for me. I feel I need to take classes to make sure I am doing it correctly, but finding time for classes, well.....that is a little harder. Once I get home after work, I am tired. Not too many classes near me at 5 or 6 am!

Lisa AK- I am so happy you seem to have found a "home" at work. That makes the job easier! Since I was MIA the past few months, I wondered about your surgery. I thought it was scheduled for December and thought man she is getting around great! lol! I hope they get your correct knee soon.

Heather UK- Lovely table and menu. Looks so grown up and lovely. I hope you all enjoy yourselves.

<3
    Kylia