Please take it easy on the "Resolutioners"

Options

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    For Resolutioners...

It's by no means appropriate for anyone to make you feel uncomfortable for trying to better yourself...

But expect there to be Dbs who will....

It's going to be part of the journey, part of the struggle, just another thing you will have to overcome and part of the game...

The big question is, are you going to let this be the thing that derails your efforts for another year... A few Db's, who frankly everyone else already knows is a DB...

Let these people motivate you...
    You belong there, otherwise you wouldn't be there...
  • Claire5520
    Claire5520 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and have lost track of the times people (non-runners and people who might be carrying a bit of extra weight) have told me they're too embarrassed to run outside, or intimidated to join a running club. I can categorically tell you that any runner/fit person is almost guaranteed to be inwardly willing on any newbies they notice, and have utmost respect for their willingness to show up and have a go. I bet most people in the gym either won't give you a second thought, or will think 'good for you'.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I started on this journey in January last year. I had been thinking about it for a while, and was ready to buckle down in January, after the holidays were past. Whenever people get ready, they are welcome!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    If I were new and some stranger decided to talk to me, that would make me more uncomfortable than silence and being left alone. To each their own. 🤷🏼‍♀️

You made my point for me. That is how you feel and me or anyone else dissecting it is not going to change it. So if a newbie feels intimidated or ANY similar feeling then telling them it is unwarranted is probably not going to change it.

I am not saying strike up a conversation and corner them; just say hi, offer a spot, etc... like the OP mentioned.

But doing just that might make a person feel more uncomfortable. So I'm not sure what point I made for you. 🤷🏼‍♀️

So someone who sees you struggling and offers a spot to keep you from hurting yourself would make you feel more uncomfortable? Would you rather they ignore you and let you hurt yourself?

Yes it would. People have social anxiety and other assorted social issues. Also, they have gym staff for this purpose so I wouldn't put myself in that position to begin with.

OK, in my view I do not see why it should make you feel uncomfortable. But that is my view. In this thread, it has been stated that if the newbies are intimidated or feel related feeling it is their own insecurities. Other posters are saying it is the newbie's own issue. That is the posters telling the newbies how they should feel.

You made a valid statement that no one can tell someone else how they should feel. So why is it ok to tell the newbies it is their mind and not valid but I cannot say your feeling is invalid??

I don't think anyone in this thread said a new person's feelings are invalid.

They said it is in their heads and they should not feel that way....It is their own insecurities...

Projection of insecurity is a real and valid thing. That doesn't mean a person's feelings are invalid though. Of course if someone is outwardly being a DB, there are always those in the world everywhere.

I totally agree but saying this "Your personal discomfort level of being in a new and somewhat intimidating environment where you naturally feel out-of-place and awkward to begin with is making you interpret even the most casual and unintentional glances in your direction as some kind of disapproval." is basically saying you are feeling insecure but it is on you. Why not admit that the newbies are dealing with their own anxiety of being in a new environment. And it is ok for them to feel that way?

This thread went from a "be kind to your fellow human" vibe to a "let's discuss social anxiety" thread. The spirit of the OP seems to be that we should be kind one another. I challenge anyone to find fault in that.

Does the world need more kindness and compassion? Yes probably. However, everyone is different and that's what I get from this thread. I saw people being encouraging despite obstacles (perceived or otherwise). Meaning go to the gym and do your thing and not worry about the next person.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    the judging stares are most likely in your head due to being out of your comfort zone. If you go to the gym at any point throughout the year, you will see all kinds of different people. Some are overweight and out of shape. No one stares and judges them.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If I were new and some stranger decided to talk to me, that would make me more uncomfortable than silence and being left alone. To each their own. 🤷🏼‍♀️

You made my point for me. That is how you feel and me or anyone else dissecting it is not going to change it. So if a newbie feels intimidated or ANY similar feeling then telling them it is unwarranted is probably not going to change it.

I am not saying strike up a conversation and corner them; just say hi, offer a spot, etc... like the OP mentioned.

But doing just that might make a person feel more uncomfortable. So I'm not sure what point I made for you. 🤷🏼‍♀️

So someone who sees you struggling and offers a spot to keep you from hurting yourself would make you feel more uncomfortable? Would you rather they ignore you and let you hurt yourself?

Yes it would. People have social anxiety and other assorted social issues. Also, they have gym staff for this purpose so I wouldn't put myself in that position to begin with.

OK, in my view I do not see why it should make you feel uncomfortable. But that is my view. In this thread, it has been stated that if the newbies are intimidated or feel related feeling it is their own insecurities. Other posters are saying it is the newbie's own issue. That is the posters telling the newbies how they should feel.

You made a valid statement that no one can tell someone else how they should feel. So why is it ok to tell the newbies it is their mind and not valid but I cannot say your feeling is invalid??

I don't think anyone in this thread said a new person's feelings are invalid.

They said it is in their heads and they should not feel that way....It is their own insecurities...

No body said this anywhere in this thread. They should feel how they feel and in many cases, it could well be, and often is, their own insecurities. So what? Do you really think people are going around gyms everyday looking to intimidate newbies on purpose? Not sure what your point is or why you feel you have to defend newbies.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

My gym doesn't have staff. I'm very grateful to helpful members who gently assisted me when I was new - I remember one massive guy telling me to watch my tendency to look at my feet during deadlifts. He smiled and didn't make me feel awkward, and possibly prevented an injury.

Social anxiety can be terrible, I understand. But all other people can do is try to be polite and kind. If you dislike kindness and your anxiety prevents you from expressing a preference, you're going to end up in situations where well-intentioned people make you anxious. That's nobody's fault.