60 yrs and up

Replies

• Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    edited March 2022
    Hello all...I'll try to do better plugging in...ahem...I know I said this last time. I've spent the last couple of months trying to avoid further surgery for a digestive issue. @AnnPT77 your comments on fiber are very helpful.

I've managed to keep my weight within my maintenance range and finding it easier than I could have imagined. Two months in and I still weigh and log everything. It's wonderful how much improvement we can make as our dietary skill sets expand!

Spring it just around the corner...love the snowdrop photos.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Hello all...I'll try to do better plugging in...ahem...I know I said this last time. I've spent the last couple of months trying to avoid further surgery for a digestive issue. @AnnPT77 your comments on fiber are very helpful.

I've managed to keep my weight within my maintenance range and finding it easier than I could have imagined. Two months in and I still weigh and log everything. It's wonderful how much improvement we can make as our dietary skill sets expand!

Spring it just around the corner...love the snowdrop photos.

Wishing you a speedy recovery (non-surgical if possible), too, @Arc2Arc! I empathize, having had some issues in the past myself, though not so extreme as to require surgery (unless we count the gallbladder surgery, which for me was not stones/sludge but something called adenomyomatosis, that caused me severe heartburn and reflux that I'd never had before).

I think I forgot to say this earlier: If anyone is working on getting more fiber in their diet, it's a good idea to do that gradually, rather than all at once; and to be sure to get enough water/fluids and fats alongside. Sometimes, if that isn't enough, probiotic foods (live-culture yogurt, kefir, raw sauerkraut/kim chi, live-culture miso, kombucha, and that sort of thing) or even probiotic supplements can help.

There's an adaptation that needs to take place in our digestive system, including adaptation in our gut microbiome (a bunch of helpful critters who despite being good helpers, technically and genetically aren't even "us"!).

There was a "10 servings of veggies/fruits daily" challenge here on MFP a few years back. A few people who went from very few to lots had . . . issues (in that specific case, constipation, relieved by increasing fats); but some of the gassiness that people experience from beans and some cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cabbage, etc.) is mostly about microbiome adaptation, and will decrease for many people as the microbiome's variety catches up with the change in diet, assuming the new way of eating stays consistent.

Fluids are needed for . . . um . . . softening, and fats for smooth throughput.

Eating lots of fiber can be good, for those who don't have a medical condition contraindicating higher levels. I usually eat 45-60 grams of fiber daily - all from food, not supplements - because I love me some veggie and fruits. That "10 servings daily" is still something I shoot for, most days. (It's probably overkill, looked at just from a fiber standpoint, but it keeps me happy in other ways. YMMV, as always! ๐Ÿ˜‰) I think the US authorities generically recommend around 25 grams of fiber daily for women as a minimum, maybe something like 38 for men.

If you want some more authoritative numbers, this would be one place to get more personalized minimums:

https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dri-calculator/

P.S. I think their protein minimums are way too minimal, given the more recent research review report I linked on a recent previous page of this thread.
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    @barnatchezk - welcome and don't you love retirement? I retired last year on my 61st birthday. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks all for the congrats on my weightloss but it was a tad premature - I am at exactly 39 lbs off and that 40 is so tantalizingly close! I will get there - soon. ๐Ÿ˜„ I am in a new "decade" so that's something! 30 weeks exactly today since I joined MFP and began focusing on my health and weight - great decision ๐Ÿ‘

My double vision continues to improve since my surgery last week, and I'm feeling hopeful, but it was disconcerting to have entirely different vision (but still double) coupled with intense vertigo for days! The brain has to adjust to my new eye position apparently. ๐Ÿ™ƒ

The weather here too is getting warmer and more Spring like, went out for a little walk yesterday and will do the same today to just breathe the air and enjoy the sunshine. Really need to get at some clearing up in my garden too but it's going to rain again for days so probably not until next week.

Thank you @AnnPT77 for posting the photo of the Snowdrops, lovely. ๐Ÿ˜

@alteredsteve175 - so glad you were able to wrangle a 4 day weekend - your family is in my prayers. โค

Ladybug,

I had strabismus surgery almost 2 years ago (lifelong esotropia and my third operation). What you are experiencing after the surgery will pass and the eye/brain will indeed settle. The feeling of vertigo and being highly disoriented, particularly in crowded or unfamiliar places lasted about a month for me. I am sure you received after-surgery care information, but they did caution me from lifting heavy things or exercising intently for a few weeks. Take care and good healing!
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,234 Member
    edited March 2022
    Ladybug,

I had strabismus surgery almost 2 years ago (lifelong esotropia and my third operation). What you are experiencing after the surgery will pass and the eye/brain will indeed settle. The feeling of vertigo and being highly disoriented, particularly in crowded or unfamiliar places lasted about a month for me. I am sure you received after-surgery care information, but they did caution me from lifting heavy things or exercising intently for a few weeks. Take care and good healing!

Thank you so much albamarie for taking the time to write this!
    I had the same strabismus surgery in January 2019 on my other eye and don't remember anything like this - but of course that surgery was only partially successful. This gives me real hope!

@AnnPT77 - like you I am at least functional now, can drive and read, so count myself blessed. Thanks for sharing.

And you were most delicately graphic somehow discussing fibre - it's a gift ๐Ÿ˜
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Ladybug,

Thank you so much albamarie for taking the time to write this!
    I had the same strabismus surgery in January 2019 on my other eye and don't remember anything like this - but of course that surgery was only partially successful. This gives me real hope!

@AnnPT77 - like you I am at least functional now, can drive and read, so count myself blessed. Thanks for sharing.

And you were most delicately graphic somehow discussing fibre - it's a gift ๐Ÿ˜

Ladybug,

There are a couple of private groups on Facebook dedicated to adults with strabismus. For me, it was nice to know I was not alone and to hear similar stories/struggles.

And I also enjoyed Ann's description of fiber!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    @alteredsteve175 and @Arc2Arc
    Thank you for the congrats on my weight loss.

@alteredsteve175
    Glad you had some respite.
  • BCLadybug888
    @coblujay, I am so sorry for your loss and feel what a marvellous gift Bubba gave you by waiting for you to come home. 18 years was so very special.

Glad you had such a good time connecting and laughing while away - that's so important!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    @coblujay, I'm so sorry to hear about your Bubba. I know sometimes the no-pet people don't understand it, but we build quite a relationship with any intelligent creature over that many years, so it's tough. Virtual hugs!

On the other note, if you have any photos of any of your assemblages and would like to share, that would be fun to see, here or elsewhere. I do some 2D mixed media stuff for fun, very inexpertly - handmade books, visual journals, etc. - but have only even attempted 3D mixed media once or twice. Fun, but . . . the results? Well, let's stick with "fun". ๐Ÿ˜†
  • swimmom_1
    @BCLadybug888
    Congrats on passing 40 lbs!

@coblujay
    So sorry to hear about Bubba.

Elliptical today 306 minutes for 19.1 miles
  • BCLadybug888
    Hi Ana - please post a pic of your new puppy, sounds adorable! Glad she is giving your hubby incentive to be more active - NEAT is so important, can be just as important as purposeful exercise.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,821 Member
    Thank you for your kind thoughts. We always know the time will come and we open our hearts anyway. It's worth every moment, even with the pain of loss. RIP Bubba! <3

a5tleniv0zs4.jpg

He was lovely! It doesn't matter how much we prepare ourselves, it's always hard when we lose an animal โ™ฅ๏ธ
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Drive-by check-in. My wife has contracted some sort of eye infection. At the emergency room to get this sorted out. It's always something.

@coblujay - My condolences to you. ๐Ÿ˜ž Always hard saying goodbye to a friend.

Good to see you all working on your goals. It gives me hope that I can get back on track when my crazy life gets straightened out.
  • swimmom_1
    @alteredsteve175
    Sorry to hear you have more on your plate. :-(
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
  • Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    @coblujay
    Beautiful cat. Cats are amazing creatures. Condolences on your loss. Are you considering getting another?