60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    My test results are scary. I have a blood clot that must be removed. I’m sure Being obese caused it. Don’t wait until it’s too late to lose weight and get healthy. Hopefully, it’s not too late for me.

Sending wishes that this will go smoothly for you, @Melwillbehealthy, and that it will soon be behind you on your path to improved health!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    I hit 150 lbs today! New Low and 105 lbs LOST!

Congratulations! That is an awesome achievement. Glad to see that your efforts are paying off.

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    My test results are scary. I have a blood clot that must be removed. I’m sure Being obese caused it. Don’t wait until it’s too late to lose weight and get healthy. Hopefully, it’s not too late for me.

Sending positive thoughts your way, Mel. You will conquer this difficulty!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    I hit 150 lbs today! New Low and 105 lbs LOST!

Congratulations! That is an awesome achievement. Glad to see that your efforts are paying off.

Thank you Steve. Actually had more lows and got down to 147.6 lbs 2 days ago but today 150 lbs again. Was hoping to not see that again but...oh well. It will go back down again.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @AnnPT77 you'll appreciate this as a fellow "woman of the water". I took this photo yesterday in front of the boathouse of my dragon boat club. As you can see, it will be a couple of weeks before we can get our dock in the water, and probably a couple of weeks after that to start paddling. I'm so looking forward to getting back on the water!

53tzeqk13oq8.jpg

I can see your dog braved the water a bit though!
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Very late for Spring here too (Vancouver area of BC), at least 3 weeks behind average and 6 weeks or more behind an early year - I remember during the 2010 Olympics we hosted that the cherry trees were out in full blossom, and that's just finally happened this past week. (Of course it would be an early year when we hosted the Winter Olympics 🙄 😄)

Vancouver was gifted cherry trees from Japan in the early 1900s and it is a tree commonly planted along side streets and boulevards and is quite phenomenal to see!1rfsjaebedfc.jpg
    And when the petals start to fall we have pink blizzards and "snow" drifts!

I have 3 very large 30+ year old Kwanzan cherry trees and I used to have pink mulch when the blossoms fall! Mine aren't blooming yet. A couple weeks yet I think for PA.
  • FitMaryAnn
    FitMaryAnn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I want to lose 50 pounds, tone up and prevent illness. I am 66 but still work, do my own mowing and some gardening and try to walk a couple of miles 4-5 times per week. I like following the one meal a day fast combined with moderate carb intake and counting calories. I also try to avoid sugar and gluten.
  • FitMaryAnn
    FitMaryAnn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Alligator on what was the diet?
  • BeeDee2022
    BeeDee2022 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Susan Niebergall?? She wrote the book “Fit at any age - it’s never too late”. Great book!! I follow her on Instagram and listen to her podcasts. She is a woman who worked out and dieted much of her life and didn’t feel she had much success. When she hit her mid-50s, she turned things around. She’s now in her early 60s and an incredible inspiration. She’s a wealth of knowledge. I just love her daily motivational tips and mindset.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hi all. Just ran across the title of this thread from 2019 and instantly felt at home. I’ve had the MFP app for a few years, but only tracked biking, walking distances on it. My younger sisters talked me into doing the 5% Spring challenge, so here I am. I am 66 yrs young, but felt like I was about 80 after reading a lot of the other posts on the main pages. I’m very glad to find some people closer to my own age! After reading a few posts, it sounds like many of you have become friends over the couple of years, so is it too late for a new comer to join you? I won’t be offended if you already have your group and I didn’t want to just assume that I could squeeze in. Just let me know. I also am a water lover, SUP (standup paddle boarding) is my favorite!

I don't think we have a group spokesperson, but I for sure welcome new participants in the thread, and from what I've seen, so does everyone else!

To everyone who's just newly here: Hi, and welcome!
  • risinghope
    risinghope Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all. @tjharleygal55 -- I tried SUP a few years ago, and loved it! So peaceful! This past summer, I got a little nervous about my balance, but people like you will inspire me to try again when I can. I am 67 and have had some issues here and there with a dizzy vertigo type thing. Not all the time, though. More and more, it seems a good idea to practice things that will train balance.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    risinghope wrote: »
    Welcome to all. @tjharleygal55 -- I tried SUP a few years ago, and loved it! So peaceful! This past summer, I got a little nervous about my balance, but people like you will inspire me to try again when I can. I am 67 and have had some issues here and there with a dizzy vertigo type thing. Not all the time, though. More and more, it seems a good idea to practice things that will train balance.

I think that's true. I've done some things in recent years that I think have helped.

Like you, I have periodic vertigo, diagnosed as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) - like an episode where if I turn quickly or shake my head, the room spins, and it's worse at some times than others (thankfully, it's often absent, in my case). I don't know whether that's the reason behind your vertigo, but it's pretty common, especially among aging folks. There are physical therapy treatments for it, and even some do-it-yourself versions one can try, from physical therapists on YouTube.

I first started working on balance by standing on one foot anytime I was in line at the bank or grocery store or wherever - not some big dramatic thing, but just raising one food subtly half an inch or so, which no one seems to notice. I could also do it at home sometimes, like standing at the kitchen sink washing something, for example. After a while, when it got easy to hold that position, I'd start making it more difficult. At home, I'd raise the leg higher, or swing it back and forth or side to side. In public, I'd do things like shift my purse from one shoulder to my hand, to the opposite hand to the opposite shoulder, while holding one foot that tiny amount off the floor, to create a little instability; or in checkout lines, reach out or lean toward the tabloids or candies display in some natural-looking way.

Eventually, I got a wobble disk for home, and started standing on it when on phone calls or the like. Even standing on something squishy like a pillow, if that feels safe, can help - maybe near a sturdy chair or doorway to grab if necessary.

Slow and steady, just practicing, not taking risks!

Tai chi is also good for balance, according to research (and my experience - my late husband was a Tai chi and kung fu teacher).