60 yrs and up

Replies

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,254 Member
    @ridiculous59- I think cross country skiing is fabulous, always watch those events (and the Biathlon) during the Olympics. But have never tried it. I've also thought about snowshoeing, have you tried that?

Rarely enough snow around here, and it generally doesn't last more than a day or two. Would have to head up into the mountains. And rent equipment somewhere. Maybe next Winter when I am down another 30+ lbs (God willing)! 😉

@alteredsteve175- thinking of you and your family. God bless you and keep you. 🙏
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Drive by check in here. Kathy's health continues to deteriorate. We meet the new oncologist on Monday and will have the latest blood test results. Hoping for some positive news, but I'm prepared for anything.

Keep up the good efforts, you beautiful seasoned citizens. You inspire me!

Steve, thinking of you and yours.

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    Good luck CapeKell
    Your in my prayers Steve
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    edited March 2022
    BethScuba wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I’m not 60 but will be 56 this year so I hope you don’t mind me being here. I’ve had five hip replacements (finally signed off by my Consultant a couple of weeks ago) and many other surgeries and am trying to shift my tummy which seems to be getting bigger the further I’m lurching through menopause. I’m hoping to lose weight over the next couple of months so I’m not so self conscious on the beach with my family when we all go on holiday together at the end of May.
    I’ve just been able to begin more serious exercise which I enjoy, and that also helps with my mental health. 🌸

I've never seen anyone here checking IDs at the door! 😉

Obviously, I don't speak for anyone but myself, but: Welcome!

It sounds like you have some specific goals, which is great - helpful. Like you, I enjoy some exercise, and find that my mood starts to slip if I slack off for too long (not to mention starting to feel physically tense, stiff, etc.).

What kind of exercise are you doing and enjoying? Me, I row (boats when I can, machines when I must), do some biking (trails in Summer, stationary in Winter) and mix in a bit of other miscellaneous fun stuff.

Welcome to all of the other first-time participants in the thread, too. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Wishing you all success!

• Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    You ladies inspire me. I want to read that book. It sounds like something I need. “What makes Olga Run”.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    edited March 2022
    Drive by check-in.

First the good news - met with the oncologist yesterday - blood markers are normal - myeloma is dormant at present. Kathy suggested we go out to her favorite diner for breakfast as a little celebration. And so we did.

Now the bad news - I come home last night to find a glass of whiskey on Kathy's coffee table. She has been repeatedly warned by the medical professionals to avoid alcohol while taking pain meds. But addicts do what addicts do. I am beyond disheartened today. 😒

Thanks for putting up with my rant. Needed to get this off my chest.

I'm glad to hear that the oncologist delivered good news, @alteredsteve175, but sorry that there are . . . other issues. That's so hard, all the way around. My sympathies!

Please come here and rant or vent or whatever you need, to get through this as best you can. Sending strength, positive thoughts!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,828 Member
    @alteredsteve175 so much stress in your life. I have a friend who also has myeloma. She's scheduled for a stem cell transplant towards the end of April. With three young daughters in the school system, plus a working husband, right now her prayer is that she stays healthy (no one brings home the flu, a cold, COVID, etc) so that the procedure can happen. She is a light who inspires me every day. Myeloma is not an easy thing to live with and it's been seven years for her. Look after yourself. No one needs to tell you that it's a rough row to hoe and you need to be mentally and physically cared for as well.
  • Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    I’ve been following along @alteredsteve175 as to Kathy’s situation and wish you strength and offer support. I’ve been through this with loved ones but not with an other.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Drive by check-in.

First the good news - met with the oncologist yesterday - blood markers are normal - myeloma is dormant at present. Kathy suggested we go out to her favorite diner for breakfast as a little celebration. And so we did.

Now the bad news - I come home last night to find a glass of whiskey on Kathy's coffee table. She has been repeatedly warned by the medical professionals to avoid alcohol while taking pain meds. But addicts do what addicts do. I am beyond disheartened today. 😒

Thanks for putting up with my rant. Needed to get this off my chest.

I'm glad to hear that the oncologist delivered good news, @alteredsteve175, but sorry that there are . . . other issues. That's so hard, all the way around. My sympathies!

Please come here and rant or vent or whatever you need, to get through this as best you can. Sending strength, positive thoughts!

Hey Steve; Agree with Ann, rant away. A frustrating situation.