60 yrs and up

Replies

• GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Hi Sheila,

Bvgrammy wrote: »
    I am 72 years old and I need to lose 40 lbs. I have been part of MFP and I keep track of my calories most days but have not lost any weight. Obvious I am doing something wrong. Would someone please help me? I would so appreciate it. Thank you. Sheila

Consider tracking every day, weigh and measure everything. On days when I don't track, I go over my daily calories. Perhaps that's why I don't want to track on those days.

I'm 66 and lose about 5 lbs a month if I'm dilligent and track. I eat about 1,000 to 1100 calories a day. I walk about 4 miles a day. I don't eat my exercise calories. I'm down 12 lbs and have 18 more pounds to go.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    It's nice to see that several of us are in our 70's. I thought I'd be alone. It sounds like some of us are having a difficult time losing the weight. I really stuck to plan all week and exercised almost every day for at least 45 minutes but gained .6 pounds this week. I think the key is saying focused and keeping at it. My jeans feel a little loser this week though. So my body is adjusting to the pounds I already lost. We just all have to keep working at it and adjusting when things aren't working.
    Welcome to the new people. Everyone here is so supportive and helpful so you made a good choice joining here. I wish you all lots of success.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,821 Member
    I am 72 years old and I need to lose 40 lbs. I have been part of MFP and I keep track of my calories most days but have not lost any weight. Obvious I am doing something wrong. Would someone please help me? I would so appreciate it. Thank you. Sheila

Would tracking your food and averaging it out over the week be of any help to you? That way you can eat above your calorie goal on some days, providing you eat below on other days. Choose "Nutrition" from your diary page (that's the little "pie" in the top right corner). Then click on "Calories". You can set it for daily or for weekly. If you set it for weekly then you see your daily average for the week, with and without exercise. If you're the kind of person who enjoys eating more on the weekend, for example, this might help.

The key is to log everything that you eat. The good, the bad, and the ugly!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member

Would tracking your food and averaging it out over the week be of any help to you? That way you can eat above your calorie goal on some days, providing you eat below on other days. Choose "Nutrition" from your diary page (that's the little "pie" in the top right corner). Then click on "Calories". You can set it for daily or for weekly. If you set it for weekly then you see your daily average for the week, with and without exercise. If you're the kind of person who enjoys eating more on the weekend, for example, this might help.

@ridiculous59
    Thank you. I never knew about the weekly before!!!
  • risinghope
    risinghope Posts: 11 Member

Ha Ha!

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member

This is exactly what I do. MFP will let you look at your calories as a weekly average (7 day rolling average). I plan my meals to be a little under some days as I know I will go above a little some days, usually on a weekend.

I agree 100% with @ridiculous59 regarding logging everything! And pre-log your meals. That way you know what your calorie count is for the day ahead of time. If you deviate no problem, just delete the food you didn't eat and add the ones you do. Again, try to do this before you eat it if at all possible so that you know if the calories fit within your weekly allowance and can adjust if need be.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,294 Member
    That's one thing I have not yet been able to make a habit ... pre-log food ... So many people find it helps them plan their meals and stay on track that I really need to add it to my 'D0-It-Now" list and try it out. ... Problem so far is that I don't usually plan my meals out. Never know when I'll be hungry or what I will be wanting to prepare for my main meal.
  • risinghope
    risinghope Posts: 11 Member
    @AnnPT77 -- terrific tips, Ann! Especially all the food weighing specifics! Learned a lot!
  • Pdc654
    Absolutely love the scale efficiency tips @AnnPT77 ! Thank you!
  • Pdc654
    Welcome @Susanna527 and all the new people here. This thread is great for support and encouragement. There is a wealth of information here and throughout the forums.
  • Pdc654
    @nsk1951 An average weight loss of 3.5 lbs a month is great! I know it's frustrating when you're dealing with edema because it's hard to see the real weight loss on the scale. But putting it in terms of an average of 3.5 lbs a month helps to put it in perspective.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    5/21/22- No real exercise today. Driving 3 hours to the "Thunder over Dover (Delaware)" Air show today. The Blue Angels & the Thunderbirds are performing for the first time together. It was great as I expected, as I've seen them both before, and just got back a bit ago. Long day in 90+ degree heat. Least there was a bit of a breeze at times. And lots of places to sit under aircraft wings, in their shade. If you haven't and get the opportunity to see them or the Snowbirds of Canada, it is well worth a drive and amazing to see at least once in your life.

May 22- Got a bit of sunburn from yesterday, cheeks, nose, upper chest area front and back and a bit of light pink on my arms. Guess I should have applied my sunscreen a few more times. We are expecting thunderstorms this afternoon, so mowed my grass. I figure I can be on the Elliptical when it's raining. Did 180 minutes for 13.2 miles. Hadn't been on it since last Sunday, as Dr appointment Tuesday AM and errands all afternoon into early evening. I don't work tomorrow till 10, so if I get to bed soon I may do an hour or 2 before work.
  • ThisMagicMoment
    ThisMagicMoment Posts: 39 Member
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    AFM .. today is the date that marks 58 years ago was my wedding day. He's been gone a long time, but I still remember this day we spent with all our friends and family celebrating the declaration of our union. I think I will go for a walk around the block this morning instead of baking a cake.

Happy Anniversary, Neena.
  • Pdc654
    @nsk1951 Happy Anniversary!