60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda, that's very cool! Which one is your kid, if you don't mind me asking? (I've never been a SCA person myself, but one of my earlier room-mates was.)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Welcome, @_gwen! Wishing you success here!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,548 Member
    edited April 29
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @MargaretYakoda, that's very cool! Which one is your kid, if you don't mind me asking? (I've never been a SCA person myself, but one of my earlier room-mates was.)

The big guy with the yellow “socks” and the turtle on his shield.

Husband there has a real smile watching the kid swing a sword. Those are few and far between these days. Dementia has flattened his emotions.
    Husband used to be the chief archer of our local group. He and the kid each have a gorgeous yew long bow with horn nocks (the ends that hold the string) that they made themselves long long ago … but
    these days he’s not safe on the archery range.
    I didn’t mention there was archery happening, and fortunately he didn’t notice it in the distance in the field behind us.

I haven’t been to an event since I began using a rollator. It wasn’t as bad getting around as I expected. I’m pretty sure physical therapy and regular exercise on the NuStep played a part in that.
    I managed about 1 1/4 of a mile over the course of a few hours walking around that little field.

I was “snack mom” for some of the fighters. Grapes, pretzels, sliced cheese, and a little roast beef, with fizzy water so they wouldn’t dehydrate. That armor looks rough, but it is protective. Which means swingin sword is hard, hot work.

And I brought a few of my little drop spindles that I make out of dowels and wooden toy wheels. I teach people how to spin on those little things and send someone home with their own drop spindle and a small handful of wool roving.

Got one new student who was very happily spinning by the time he left the event. A success!

All in all it was a lovely afternoon with family and old friends.
    vhdkbn1my1pv.jpeg
    4uidgtv99zqy.jpeg
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,852 Member
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda Almost 20 years ago one of my son's was dating a girl who's family was involved in SCA. He really enjoyed it. And being a big redhead, with a big red beard, and of Scottish descent, he had to fashion himself a kilt to wear to the events 🙂 Glad you had an enjoyable afternoon.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thanks for keeping us updated on your medical mystery.

It’s been cool and drippy here in the Pacific Northwest. There was some excitement about an escaped zoo zebra this past week, but she was captured on Friday evening and is safely back with her herd.
    43kyd4n8o9er.jpeg

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - on another thread in the debate section you posted some fascinating family history and I just wanted to comment on how valuable it can be to have older parents, as we know stuff more directly about earlier times, thanks for sharing! And also to remind you just how much of an incredible blessing your birth had to have been. Your parents must have treasured you dearly and you have been well-loved.

My parents were a bit older too (my mum was in her thirties for all 3 of her pregnancies) and was turning 39 when my baby brother was born, and my dad was turning 42. They were married 9 years before they had me (oldest and only girl), go figure they'd end up with 3 kiddos! My parents also emigrated from Scotland to Canada, and that made for some culture differences and few relatives for us, although many of my childhood friends were also 1st generation Canadians - from mostly European countries. My parents were toddlers in the thirties right into WWII war deprivation as teens. My dad signed up at 17 for the British army and was shipped to Asia in mopping up/peacekeeping activities right at the end of WWII. My dad lost a brother (shot down over Europe) and my mother had an uncle in a Japanese POW camp. Certainly gives one a different perspective to be that close to such events!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    edited May 6
    Options
    I posted last month when I gave notice of my retirement to start the end of last week. The next week 2 other people in my section gave notice. So I got an offer to work part-time on a limited duration basis which I decided to accept. So I am in transition to retire. I don’t do well when I am working full-time and I do better when I have been unemployed (the economic downturn and the pandemic). We’ll see how part-time goes.

@-gwen I remember you. I am back after a busy time working full-time. I am starting to transition to retirement so plan to spend more time here.

@MargaretYakoda LOL, I live in the Pacific Northwest too. They finally caught the zebra!

@AnnPT77 I hope they figure out what is going on. I am reading up on foods, spices and herbs that help some of my issues. I am working on eating healthier foods now that I have more time for that.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,852 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Definitely a mystery about your rib cage pain! This is our third week of dragon boat paddling but we had to cancel one day last week because of winds. It feels so good to get on the water and use different muscles. I always feel that no matter how you try to replicate muscle movement with machines and free weights, it's just not the same as the real thing. And of course I also use facial muscles when I'm in the dragon boat (smiling) that I never use with free weights or machines haha

• SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a month long vacation in the South Pacific. Endless food. I tried to eat sensibly, and exercise as I found time. Only gained a handful of pounds, but nothing to discourage me. I passed into a new decade on this trip, and the most decadent thing i ate was a birthday dessert of chocolate mousse with a chocolate walled house built over the top of it. Enjoyed every calorie. Back home, and back here to MFP, catching up with everyone. Glad to see all the posts, and hope everyone is keeping up the good attitudes!
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited May 9
    Options
    Long day at the VA today.
    Husband’s retinopathy continues to have stalled. Yay for me being Nurse Ratchit with his diet, exercise, and med management. We’re years past any serious deterioration now.
    The ophthalmology department there is always a crapshoot re: getting to see the doctor at your actual appointment time.

Veterans can have some swift and scary eye emergencies. Some days everything runs smoothly. Other days there’s a bunch of folks newly nicknamed “patch” and it’s a couple hours after your appointment time when you finally get to see the doc.

Today was that second experience.

Got some other stuff sorted out there. It took a long time and I was a hungry mess. Was able to send husband to the car with my partner while I waited another hour for the pharmacy to dispense his meds. That way husband could eat his sandwich and fruit.

Me? I was wilting like a daisy in the desert.

Managed it though.
    Finally got back to the car and praised whomever came up with the idea for single serve prepackaged salads in a bowl. That, and Oreos. Because gosh darn it, I earned that little treat today!

Some of the sights driving to, and at the VA
    On the way

h7ho8uo30d0k.jpeg

1cc40nqbff32.jpeg
    viivotceotav.jpeg
    bqaczsnalnns.jpeg
    0uyr4erybqjs.jpeg

at12hjq7uht2.jpeg
    pzx5zrajguhr.jpeg
    And home again
    2tb1rprdqivs.jpeg
    awshgrotvkee.jpeg
    bujwm02cynp0.jpeg
    Yes. The mountain was out today. Such a lovely view for lunch.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Welcome, @lclark04957 and @meleaherrin!

FWIW, getting my weight down to a healthy level made a significant reduction in my osteoarthritis discomfort/pain (plus at least one torn knee meniscus, probably 2). It took a little time at goal weight for my body to register the improvement - time to heal a bit from prior stress/strain from the excess weight, I would guess - but the long term result was less frequent pain, and less severe.

Strictly speaking, exercise is optional for weight loss, but it's good for the body. If you can find some manageable kinds of movement to add, that will be a bonus.

Wishing both of you excellent progress and results: IME, the effort is worth it!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,371 Member
    Options
    Went for my annual check up last month & my labs were all good but forgot to ask the Dr about something that's been bothering me & I could make a phone appointment since I already saw her in person last month but thought Id ask here for any insight... I turned 70 last month & ever since my 67th birthday I lost a little more energy every year & I tire more doing things lately that I didn't before or I recovered quicker. I don't know if there's something wrong or I'm getting older. I don't know who to ask. I used to go to the gym 5 days a week & loved it. Went to HIIT 3 days a week, step class 2x's a week & worked out on my own but then I had a problem with my let so couldn't go, Had BP issues (due to covid) so couldn't go. Finally went back 3 weeks ago to swim for about 30min then the 3rd week I worked out doing cardio in the pool without stopping for 20min but it took me 4 days to recover, it took a lot out of me & won't be doing it so hard again. I wonder if it's because I haven't done that in so long? I walk average 3 miles in the morning with my dogs, sometimes 2, sometimes up to 5 then have lunch & I'm so tired. I do push myself to do things around the house & I do errands, grocery shop but less than I used to, I go to Bible study every week, do some yard work but it's not easy. Does this sound "normal"?