60 yrs and up

Options
1232233234235236238»

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited June 19
    Options
    @Evamutt When I first started my weightloss journey, and was working full time, I had a full pass at my local municipal rec centre. It enabled me to use the gym, attend classes, or use the pool whenever I wanted, and I went every day. As I lost weight and gained more confidence, I started doing a bit of running. So then I only purchased a pass for the winter months. Now I only purchase a "punch type card" and use it during the shoulder season when the snow isn't good enough to ski, but it's too yukky to do much else outdoors, other than walk the dogs. I have truly loved the flexibility of having a pass vs an "all or nothing" membership.

I have a bench and a few weights at home that I use twice a week. I need to stretch so do a hybrid of stretching and yoga poses most days, usually while I'm watching something on the TV. The rest of the time I paddle with a dragon boat group, paddle my kayak, run, walk and hike with the dogs, cross country ski and snowshoe in the winter (with the dogs, of course), and every so often do a deep water running class or a spin class because they're a good workout and I enjoy them.

My point is that I no longer feel obligated to have a gym pass. It worked very, very well for a season in my life. But now my life has changed. I'm retired and I have two busy dogs (a five year old border collie and a four year old golden retriever) who require a good walk every day which most often is an off-leash hike, ski, or snowshoe somewhere.

Being outdoors fills me emotionally and physically. And quite honestly there are just so many other things that I'd rather do outside instead of being inside a gym. Having a gym membership isn't always a pre-requisite to living an active life; it just depends what season of life you're in. I think once the gym feels like a weighty obligation or chore, it's time to ditch the membership and do the things outside that you enjoy. With your dogs! In my humble opinion, of course 🙂

P.S. As we age it's very important to lift some heavy-ish things and do movements that help our balance. We need that so we don't topple over and become one of the "broken hip" statistics!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,431 Member
    Options
    @ridiculous59 thank you so much for that perspective I think I'll put a hold on it. The payment just came out so I have a whole month before it gets put on hold. I do have a problem holding on to trying to keep doing things I've always done & enjoyed them but when things change I think if I don't keep doing the same things it's a negative thing instead of just a change