Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Adoption - Should Fat People Be Allowed to Adopt?

Options

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    UK experience perspective....

I was fortunate to adopt my two children and the process to become an approved adopter was extremely rigorous and very much keeping the current and long term needs of the child as paramount.
    All aspects of our lives was gone through with a fine tooth comb from health (including smoking, drinking and medical history), to beliefs/attitudes, criminal records and strength of our relationship. Concerns for the long term health of the adoptive parents was a sensible major factor and I would agree that obesity would be a health factor to take into account.

At that time (27 & 24 years ago) it was recognised that being in the care system was the worst outcome for the child but for something so emotional there was also a big element of cold and logical "supply & demand".

There was a lot of "demand" for healthy young babies or children - the adoption agency could be really choosy with selecting adoptive parents. The adoption list was only briefly opened by our agency due to a sudden rise in babies coming up for adoption and those parents already approved and on the waiting list were deemed slightly too old - they really could be that selective. Heart breaking for those deemed "too old" but perfect adopters in every other regard.

There was unfortunately a low demand for older children, disabled, problem background, sibling groups and the adoption agency would be far more lenient with requirements for adoptive parents again recognising that growing up in a family environment was far superior to staying in the care system.

This would make sense-of the several foster/adopting families I know, all of them took sets of siblings, which included older kids, and several of the children have behavioral/mental health issues. So maybe there was some leniency with the adults physical health.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ETA: Deleted as too long and rambling.
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I hadn't considered different agencies would have different criteria!

Some excellent points being made in here.

I'm still not sure where I sit. But I keep imagining someone severely obese not the average overweight person and I think that's tripping me up.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Should adoption agencies look at a person's overall health (including obesity) when considering if someone is suitable to adopt?

Or should those sort of things not matter because a loving home is more important than a stable home (health stability I mean)?

I think physical and mental health can be an important factor in someone's ability to physically care for a young child and should be considered. Young children need physical care and someone incapable of providing it should not be top of the list to adopt. A tv show like that probably exaggerated/manipulated the situation but there is some common sense in not adopting out to those who can not care for a child to a certain minimum standard.

I know one adoptive couple where one person had MS, was bipolar, unstable family background, older (had grown children/teens), smoker and they were able to eventually adopt an infant. Neither was overweight. They later divorced. They gave the child a home but it certainly was not a stable home environment over the years. If their only issue had been one of them was obese I think things would have been more stable.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Should adoption agencies look at a person's overall health (including obesity) when considering if someone is suitable to adopt?

Or should those sort of things not matter because a loving home is more important than a stable home (health stability I mean)?

I think physical and mental health can be an important factor in someone's ability to physically care for a young child and should be considered. Young children need physical care and someone incapable of providing it should not be top of the list to adopt. A tv show like that probably exaggerated/manipulated the situation but there is some common sense in not adopting out to those who can not care for a child to a certain minimum standard.

I know one adoptive couple where one person had MS, was bipolar, unstable family background, older (had grown children/teens), smoker and they were able to eventually adopt an infant. Neither was overweight. They later divorced. They gave the child a home but it certainly was not a stable home environment over the years. If their only issue had been one of them was obese I think things would have been more stable.

I think this is a good point. Someone previously mentioned "my 600 lb life". Those are cases of extreme obesity, there are mental health reasons behind one getting that large, and lots of physical restrictions with being that large that I think would prevent you from being an acceptable care taker. I do not allowing someone in that situation adopt.

I have not seen this specific show, but googling images these people appear overweight, but still able to function normally. I would place less emphasis on BMI and more on interviews and interactions with the person if I were making the decision. If they want to be loving parents I say let them. There are plenty of biological parents that are just as large and/or larger than the people I am seeing from this show that are good parents to their children.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Well and assuming the person with bipolar had a stable diagnosis, it's the unstable family background (I'm assuming you mean the home wasn't stable), a chronic progressive terminal illness, and smoking that were the issues.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Well and assuming the person with bipolar had a stable diagnosis, it's the unstable family background (I'm assuming you mean the home wasn't stable), a chronic progressive terminal illness, and smoking that were the issues.

It was 19 years ago. The couple was not prevented from adopting a child despite any of their issues.
    Unstable family background means close relatives in jail frequently, abusive family, drug abusers/alcoholics, undertreated mental illness. After adopting the home and adoptive parents became more unstable as well.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

It was 19 years ago. The couple was not prevented from adopting a child despite any of their issues.
    Unstable family background means close relatives in jail frequently, abusive family, drug abusers/alcoholics, undertreated mental illness. After adopting the home and adoptive parents became more unstable as well.

What I was pointing out was that bipolar (among various other mental illnesses), if treated, shouldn't be an issue with regards to adopting a child (or raising a child really). I too know someone with bipolar who is an adoptive parent. In her case it was 7 or 8 years ago and she had been stable for a very long time. Saying someone has bipolar doesn't actually tell one anything about how functional the person is.

But yes, it sounds like the situation you're talking about was not a good one for a number of reasons. So many reasons.
  • tibby1971
    tibby1971 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As someone who has looked into adoption. It all depends on the agency and sometimes the country.
    There are agencies who won’t let you adopt with them if you aren’t the right religion, too fat, health issues or a history of depression.
    Some countries have limits on BMI, income, mental health etc.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    As someone who was in the foster system as a child this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. To deny a child in need of a loving home because the person who wants desperately to be a parent is too large in my opinion is so very wrong. This in no way protects the child. It probably puts the child at a higher risk. No child should have to live in the foster system or an orphanage. Honestly, these types of rules are made by people who have no idea what it’s actually like for the children living in those situations. 🤬

My knee jerk reaction was "that shouldn't be a rule" and the response above sealed the deal.

I could see it being a true issue if the prospective adoptive parent was both a single parent AND already had serious medical issues due to their weight. Otherwise, not so much.

While it's not that closely related, I feel similarly about some of the rules on surrogacy. My friend was 27 years old, a mother of three young children, who had easy pregnancies and deliveries, but was 50 or 60 lb overweight post-partum (and had always been at least 30 lb overweight even as a college basketball player). She was very healthy otherwise and she deeply wanted to be a surrogate for her sister-in-law, but the doctors warned that her obesity would prevent this from being an option at all. I don't know all of the ins and outs but in her particular situation, I found that absurd. I believe there may have been some added risk but for the most part it sounded like she would be an ideal surrogate.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    In 1971 I adopted a child categorized as hard to place. The financial requirements were waived, but my husband, two children and I were required to pass physical exams and mental evaluations. I understand the need to insure the child's well-being, but my heart hurts for those children who fail to be adopted due to overly-rigid regulations. Very few families are ideal, in my experience.
This discussion has been closed.