Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Adoption - Should Fat People Be Allowed to Adopt?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    For what it's worth I do know at least one person who was abandoned by his adoptive parents. By abandoned, I mean kicked out. I suspect it's less common that the various abuses that can happen in foster homes, but it happens.

While I have never been in the child welfare system, I think the reality is that it's more complex than "we just need to get children in homes".

I've known more than one person who was kicked out by biological parents as a minor teenager, so unless someone has found some way of predicting which parents will do that, I'm not sure what the value of pointing out that it happens with adoptive parents as well is. Because otherwise the only remedy is to allow no adoptions at all, which doesn't seem like a good outcome.

I do as well and I know people online who have been kicked out before their teenagers. That said, we can't actually ethically tell people not to have children (and on the can of historical and contemporary worms that this could open up). My point, which may have been missed, is that adoption is in no way a cut and dry, "you can adopt this child" sort of situation.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    amandaeve wrote: »
    whitpauly wrote: »
    ...if I was a parent less kid I'd want to be in a home that made me feel loved but I'd also rather not hafta have a parent,depend on me for everything either

I have not heard of the show in discussion, but I’ll chime in anyway.

I think a child’s quality of life depends on a complex tangle of things like adequate food, shelter, health care, emotional support, access to education, and physical/mental challenge/reward. If data could argue that a parent is significantly less likely to provide these things by being past a certain BMI, then I would side with that decision. However, parenting capacity isn’t eliminated just because a parent is in need of help. Both of my parents became disabled when I was a child. Sure, it took a lot to care for them as an only child, and I lost some “privilege” doing so, but they did everything they could as parents. I am SO grateful to have the childhood I did compared to a lot of my friends with “normal” parents. Plus, I think I turned out OK :)

Good point,the parents in this particular show DID show alot of love for their kids despite the kids having a lot of responsibility in caring for the parents and I think it is a better life for the kids than being shuffled from one place to another or no place at all
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited January 2019
    They screen for obvious potential health risks.
    A former colleague was a life long distance runner. Track I n high school. Clubs in college. Built like a distance runner. Very lean, ran every day at lunch. Loved the absolute picture of health.
    He died 200 yards from finishing a half marathon in Raleigh. Cardiac arrest. Had no prior health or heart issues.
    He was 32 years old.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    moe0303 wrote: »
    I personally have serious doubts as to the usefulness of BMI as a single indicator towards a person's overall health.

Is your point that you don't think the woman whose experiences are recounted in the OP is actually obese and that BMI is misleading in her case? Or that you agree she's obese but you don't think this tells us anything relevant about the potential for health problems in her future?
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    I personally have serious doubts as to the usefulness of BMI as a single indicator towards a person's overall health.

Is your point that you don't think the woman whose experiences are recounted in the OP is actually obese and that BMI is misleading in her case? Or that you agree she's obese but you don't think this tells us anything relevant about the potential for health problems in her future?

It was a general statement, not related to a specific case. I think body composition is often assumed based on BMI, but BMI by itself is, in my opinion as a lay person, limited in its ability to indicate overall individual health.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member

It was a general statement, not related to a specific case. I think body composition is often assumed based on BMI, but BMI by itself is, in my opinion as a lay person, limited in its ability to indicate overall individual health.

BMi isn't meant to indicate overall individual health, so I'm not sure what the point is here.

I think that is my point. It seems to be being used as such, or did I read that wrong?
This discussion has been closed.