Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Adoption - Should Fat People Be Allowed to Adopt?

Options
nrtauthor
nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
This topic is inspired by the show My Big Fat Fabulous Life. The star of that show goes to an adoption agency and is told she can't adopt because her BMI is too high.

I don't know a lot about adoption in America but I know in Canada the criteria for being eligible to adopt is quite strict. You have to be a certain age (in comparison to the child), certain financial situation and married couples are higher up on the totem pole (that's just what I know from family members who wanted to adopt).

Now, initially my knee-jerk reaction to the adoption agency saying: People with this BMI aren't eligible, was: That's *kitten*.

But then I started to think about it.

We know, for a fact, that once you reach a certain level of obesity that there are significant health risks. Our society likes to preach that all bodies are beautiful (they are) and that all bodies are healthy (they aren't), but this narrative has created this denial about reality. Scientific fact is scientific fact, your feelings don't change facts.

So, if we know a certain level of obesity comes with significant health risks, and if we know BMI isn't 100% accurate but IS a good starting point (I mean when you hit a BMI of 40 and up I think it's fairly obvious if that's 'muscle' weight or fat weight) to determine where a person is at, can we really say it's unfair for adoption agencies to refuse adoption to obese people?

Wouldn't that be like handing a child over to someone we know has a lower life span and significant health issues on the horizon? Is that really the responsible thing to do for these kids?

I'm not sure. I still haven't quite figured out where I stand on the issue but what about you?

Should adoption agencies look at a person's overall health (including obesity) when considering if someone is suitable to adopt?

Or should those sort of things not matter because a loving home is more important than a stable home (health stability I mean)?

Thoughts?

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What was the BMI cutoff the adoption agency is using?
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Are they restricting for other future potential health problems or just immediately visible and socially unapproved ones?

From what I saw, and it was a TV show so I have no idea how accurate it was, they were restricting based entirely on potential health issues. The BMI itself was seen as a 'health problem'. From my understanding.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Are they restricting for other future potential health problems or just immediately visible and socially unapproved ones?

Friends of mine who adopted said they were asked whether either of them smoked and how much alcohol they typically drink, so maybe.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

Friends of mine who adopted said they were asked whether either of them smoked and how much alcohol they typically drink, so maybe.

Those questions could be prompted by a concern for parental health, but it could also be motivated by concern for the environment that the child will be exposed to.

That's true. I'm not sure of the context of those questions.

My thought is that there are so many children who need loving homes. If an obese person has the means and the desire to open their home to a child, I don't think there should be restrictions based on BMI.
This discussion has been closed.