DASH Diet thread

Options

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Having quinoa for the first time tonight-are we counting this as a grain? It sounds like it's hard to categorize lol.
  • zeejane03
    Options
    Fruit -- 2
    Veg -- 9
    Dairy -- 3
    Grains --4 (including a serving of quinoa)
    Meat -- 4 oz salmon; Beans (alternative protein)--x
    Added fat -- 1
    Nuts and seeds --x
    Added sugar -- yes (honey mustard and teryaki sauce)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Having quinoa for the first time tonight-are we counting this as a grain? It sounds like it's hard to categorize lol.

It's not technically a grain, but that's how I count it.
  • zeejane03
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

It's not technically a grain, but that's how I count it.

I liked it! It was a new frozen steamer option at Aldi-mixed with herbs and kale. I mixed it with sauteed mushrooms and onions, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and black olives (mixed with teriyaki sauce). Really filling and tasty supper :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • zeejane03
    edited March 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Sounds delicious!

I had no idea what to do with it so I just started throwing things in a bowl LOL. Aldi seems to be coming out with new stuff right now-I found lentils for the first time last week, as well as several other vegetarian leaning options. I had a new wild rice and herb mixture for lunch-it comes in a microwave pouch and has 2 cups/4 DASH servings. It was $1! I bought two of them and will definitely be getting more, along with the quinoa :) They've expanded their frozen fruit section as well, besides blueberries and strawberries they now have mixed berries and a tropical fruit mixture. I've been really impressed with their selection the past few times I've shopped (and I walk out with a cart so heavy I can hardly push it, for around $120!).

I also discovered the awesomeness of La Croix sparkling water this weekend and come to find out Aldi sells it for $1 cheaper than Meijer (found this out after I had bought it at Meijer, ugh). They also have their own version for under $3 so I'm going to try that next time.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I count quinoa as a whole grain. A few months back I made some cabbage rolls with it that were delicious.

I also found this about quinoa
    https://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/grain-month-calendar/quinoa-–-march-grain-month
  • zeejane03
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Vegetables & Fruit-- 9
    Dairy -- 3
    Grains --6
    Meat -- 4oz; Beans (alternative protein)--x
    Added fat -- 1
    Nuts and seeds --x
    Added sugar -- yes:ginger sesame sauce

Second solid day this week, loving my new notepad tracking method :)

Looking at the category recommendations I don't know that I'll ever hit 3-4 servings of fruit in a day-I just don't like fruit that much. Since I usually hit over the vegetable recommendations I think I'm going to start combining the vegetable/fruit into one category (since they both serve the same purpose of micros/fiber).

I'm still aiming for 1-2 servings of fruit a day, but not hitting the recommended amounts is bugging me so I'm going to swap some of those recommendations out for more vegetables!
  • zeejane03
    Options
    Vegetables & Fruit--7
    Dairy -- 2
    Grains --4
    Meat -- 5oz; Beans (alternative protein)--x
    Added fat -- x
    Nuts and seeds --x
    Added sugar -- yes: 1/2 of a Kit Kat bar

Saw a good number on the scale this morning and had a pretty solid DASH day :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    It's me! The non-DASHing recipe person. Sometimes throwing things together is the best. Last night my daughter and I had a sheet pan supper of roasted veggies (cauliflower, brussels, butternut, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes) and chickpeas spritzed with lemon juice.

Very easy, VERY DASH friendly and really, really tasty and filling.
  • zeejane03
    Options
    It's me! The non-DASHing recipe person. Sometimes throwing things together is the best. Last night my daughter and I had a sheet pan supper of roasted veggies (cauliflower, brussels, butternut, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes) and chickpeas spritzed with lemon juice.

Very easy, VERY DASH friendly and really, really tasty and filling.

I've heard of sheet pan cooking but haven't done this method before-I need to try this!
  • zeejane03
    Options
    My husband is coming back today from a work trip so we're taking the kids out to supper, will probably go to Fazolis and I'll get the pizza baked spaghetti with 2 breadstics (around 1,200 for the meal). I had my normal toast/cheese breakfast and will eat something veggie based for lunch. Won't be a strong DASH day, but I'll still be keeping my calories in check/at maintenance levels.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    My husband is coming back today from a work trip so we're taking the kids out to supper, will probably go to Fazolis and I'll get the pizza baked spaghetti with 2 breadstics (around 1,200 for the meal). I had my normal toast/cheese breakfast and will eat something veggie based for lunch. Won't be a strong DASH day, but I'll still be keeping my calories in check/at maintenance levels.

I did this earlier in the week to celebrate a kid’s birtbday as well. Mostly DASH day but dinner of pizza and decorated cookie cake put me at maintenance calories for the day. Felt very in control.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I am finding that DASH at 1600 ish calories is working for me as long as I make a point to stay fairly active. I am working on c25k right now which is keeping my exercise goals on track. Today was an off day due to eating on the run. Tomorrow is back to work and packed lunches help with my routine.
  • zeejane03
    Options
    I am finding that DASH at 1600 ish calories is working for me as long as I make a point to stay fairly active. I am working on c25k right now which is keeping my exercise goals on track. Today was an off day due to eating on the run. Tomorrow is back to work and packed lunches help with my routine.

Yep, weekends are usually all over the place for me, though I do try and make as many DASH choices as I can. Tomorrow I'll be back to being intentional with checking off servings :)
  • emmamcgarity
    Options

Fruit -4
    Veggie -2
    Whole grain -2
    Dairy -2
    Meat -4oz
    Nuts - 0
    Added sugar: yes

Today was a pretty solid DASH day and I was on target for calories. It’s nice when that works out.
  • zeejane03
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Vegetables & Fruit--13.5 (may be a new record for me! )
    Dairy -- 3
    Grains --3
    Meat -- 3oz; Beans (alternative protein)--1 serving
    Added fat -- x
    Nuts and seeds --1 (trying to get better about adding these!)
    Added sugar -- yes: fat free Catalina dressing

Solid day today, pleased with my numbers :) We also had a sunny day in the 40s so I got in a mile walk this afternoon. Ended up following the same walking path as two of my elderly neighbors-we looked awesome in our neon safety vests LOL :D
  • zeejane03
    Options
    Vegetables & Fruit--13.5 (may be a new record for me! )
    Dairy -- 3
    Grains --3
    Meat -- 3oz; Beans (alternative protein)--1 serving
    Added fat -- x
    Nuts and seeds --1 (trying to get better about adding these!)
    Added sugar -- yes: fat free Catalina dressing

Solid day today, pleased with my numbers :) We also had a sunny day in the 40s so I got in a mile walk this afternoon. Ended up following the same walking path as two of my elderly neighbors-we looked awesome in our neon safety vests LOL :D

Forgot to include the olives I ate yesterday, in the Fat category. I think yesterday was the closest I've gotten to being completely DASH compliant :#
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -4
    Veggie -3
    Whole grain -2
    Dairy -1
    Meat -3oz
    Nuts - 0.5
    Added sugar: yes